Thread: Oil

Spyder Garage

Default Oil

I have a 2014 STS and checking oil it is low. Dealer not open till Tuesday is there and special brand oil that people use. My owners manual say 5w40 semi synthetic

Spyder Garage

You can get Shell Rotella T6 at WalMart and its fully rated for the Spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Depends

Not knowing what oil you are using...full synthetic, synthetic blend or regular your best bet would be a blend that meets the spec's in the manual. Not only the weight ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Please forgive me for taking a little side trip, and if you already know/do all this, I apologise for repeating it (again!) but for those who might not know....

Before getting too far into the 'adding oil' process, are you sure you are using the 'approved method' for checking the oil level?

The 1330 motor is widely acclaimed for not using oil between services - any oil!! So discovering that your 1330 engine appears to be using oil is a VERY rare event!! Could it be that you think that the oil level appears low just because it's not right up to the 'full' mark?? Or is it because you didn't use the full & approved 'go for a ride & when everything is all warmed up stop, let the engine idle for 30-90 secs, & only then shut it down & check the oil' process?? (Using the correct procedure with the approved 'idle down' time ect is critical & spelled out in detail in your manual or you can find it in one of the many oil threads already posted covering the specific details. )

Nb: if you have used the correct checking method & the oil level is not quite up to the 'Full' mark, don't be too worried - just so long as the oil level is above the 'Add' mark it's fine! Adding more oil when the level is actually OK can leave you with too much oil in there, and that can create all sorts of messy problems!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter he has a 2014 ST-S. It has the 998 V twin. He also may not be checking the oil properly.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Oops! Can I blame it on reading the Original Post too quickly?!?

Thanks JKM.

Yeah, the V-twins DO use oil, as much as a litre or so between scheduled changes isn't unusual, some can even use more if they're ridden hard! But as already said, using the correct checking method is still pretty important, or you can easily end up with a lot of oil outside the engine & quite possibly even more expensive damage too!

As for 'what oil' to use, anything that meets (or exceeds) the specs in the manual should be fine, just make sure that any oil you add is safe for use in wet-clutch motorcycles!! If it doesn't have the 'safe with motor-cycle clutches' label, it can leave you stranded by the side of the road pdq!! Besides, when you are low & need to keep going, it doesn't really matter if you add dino-oil, semi-syn, or full synthetic oil; just so long as it's an oil suitable for use in wet-clutch motorcycles!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and concern . I do know how to properly check the oil and I appreciate you bringing that up in case I did not. We bought the bike late last year from a dealer in PA, and it supposedly just had the major service done. Its my wifes and she probably only has a 1000 miles on it but I just decided to change the oil anyway. I will pick up the oil change kit Tuesdaay . I saw a video piece of cake. Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poppajim View Post
    Thanks for the info and concern . I do know how to properly check the oil and I appreciate you bringing that up in case I did not. We bought the bike late last year from a dealer in PA, and it supposedly just had the major service done. Its my wifes and she probably only has a 1000 miles on it but I just decided to change the oil anyway. I will pick up the oil change kit Tuesdaay . I saw a video piece of cake. Ride Safe
    A tip (assuming you have an SE5 and not an SM5.) The bolts holding the oil filter covers are *not* interchangeable. They are different lengths. Best to do one filter complete, then the other filter.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited