Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking

Spyder Garage

Default Parking

The other day I spotted an RT parked in front of a business in the "Motorcycle Only" zone. Needless to say, it took up at least two or three slots. Has anybody ever been ticketed for / hassled about this?

Spyder Garage

Never had the pleasure

Spyder Garage

Legally, the Spyder is defined as a motorcycle in my state (South Dakota) so it would be completely legal to park in a "motorcycle only" zone similar to any trike. I'll park in a motorcycle space where it makes sense. However, when I ride with a group and the motorcycle space is limited I usually let them park there together and I go find another area to park my Spyder. It all comes down to respect. You have to show some to get some back.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride my Spyder to work and rarely park in the motorcycle parking area. Have never used motorcycle only parking at other places.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

We are on the other side. We both have handicap designation. I usually park in a HC space if there is one available. We both use the same space so as not to take up two of the spaces.

I would shy away from parking spaces that are to small for spyder. Another chance to make someone angry and damage your bike if they feel like it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I park the old, slow, modded V-Max in motorcycle parking and the in a car spot.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Riding alone I use a car parking space. I ride a lot of times with a 2 wheel Vic. When we riding together we both use just one car parking space.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Management told me not to park in the motorcycle parking spots. Next management tells me its ok to park in the motorcycle spots..

Guess it all depends on which way the moons line up

Spyder Garage

It's rude to park in a narrow marked motorcycle spot with the Spyder. Taking more than one space shouldn't be done. Use a car spot.

Spyder Garage

Guess it depends on the kind of business establishment that it is. There is a popular biker hangout where I live that has a rear bar and outdoor seating area. The sign says “Motorcycle Parking Only”, but I doubt that my Spyder or myself would be welcome there..............
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Taking up more than one space, whether ryding or driving, is just plain rude.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    It's rude to park in a narrow marked motorcycle spot with the Spyder. Taking more than one space shouldn't be done. Use a car spot.

Why is it rude???

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I have considered what I would do if I rode a Spyder to work.
    Out the front there is council retricted parking for cars and motocycles. For cars the limit is 2 hours otherwise you get a fine. For motorcycles it is 8 hours (and a fraction of the cost, a couple of dollars). The motorcycle spots are marked and 90 degree angle rear to curb. The Spyder would take up I think 1 and a quarter to 1 and a half spots. Never seen a Spyder/Ryker parked there so don't know what the council inspectors would do. Ther alternative is parking stations with early bird around $25 per day (in by a certain time and out after a certain time) and non early bird $75 for all day.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Why is it rude???

Cruzr Joe
    That's easy. You're an individual, but you're taking up space for two. You're not that important.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    That's easy. You're an individual, but you're taking up space for two. You're not that important.
    I am parking in a motorcycle designated place. And I will continue to do so, because my spyder has been designated as a motorcycle
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Well, I guess I am a cantankerous old SOB. If I am riding a motorcycle and there are places for "motorcycle only" parking then that's where I will park if I like. For years I drove a ford F350 and often it would not fit well between the lines drawn by the pin-heads who designed parking space sizes for Hondas and Toyotas. So, as far as I am concerned the "lines" are there as a suggestion. Call me rude if you like. But if an establishment has an area for motorcycles than that is where they think we should park. Otherwise, we are taking up a space designed for an automobile. So, either we are taking up too much space for a bike or too little for a car. Either way, it doesn't make a tinker damn..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Here in Aus, some of us have sought rulings from the various applicable State & whoever our Local Authorities might be, and amongst the collective group, I reckon we've got close to covering most of the major 'settled areas' & cities.... and so far there's not one dissenting Authority - our Spyders are legal to park in those 'Motorcycle Only' parking spaces, even if they do take up more than one lined space. And in those States that allow it, our Spyders can also be legally 'parked' on a footpath, just so long as they don't 'unnecessarily impede pedestrians or other access'!! So dunno about you lot over there, we're right here mate!

While there certainly might be some Spyder Ryders out there with differing stories (I really don't know every Spyder Ryder in Aus ) so far I haven't heard/don't know of anyone here in Aus who's been abused, scored abusive notes, or had their Spyders damaged cos they took up more than one 'motorcycle space' in the designated areas either..... I guess most Motorcycle Riders here who are likely to frequent those designated parking spots might be just a little less easily riled than those in other countries - besides, it's not really as if we don't have the room!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its either for me. If parking is short for say MC parking I'll park in a car spot and vice versa.

The most recent time I was chatted about parking in a MC spot - I just laughed - there were no other MC's parked in the available 12 spots.

Personally the RTL is a bit wide for an MC spot so I prefer a car spot
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Common sense has a lot to do with whether you can/should utilize m/c parking and will/will not get hassled for doing so with a Spyder. Should be quite legal, unless otherwise specified or clearly stated that you can't use more than one designated m/c space. Would a two-wheeler with a sidecar get ticketed? Or a Harley or GW trike be hassled for being in a m/c spot? A Spyder is really no different. Most often, I use a car space, even if I have to pay; but I wouldn't hesitate to use a m/c slot, if available.

When we ryde in FL during winter, and visit lots of over-crowded touristy areas, there are often many other bikers around. I try to avoid taking up two m/c slots, and usually leave those places for two-wheelers (avoids arguments). However, instead of parallel parking in a car space, I will angle park the Spyder, rear to curb, and leave extra room either side. Most times when we return from lunch, there will be 2 or 3 two-wheelers angle-parked in our same car space on either side. Many are grateful that we were there first (and left the extra room), and say "Thanks for sharing". It goes both ways!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

The only place I have designate MC parking is at work, and I use 1 1/2 slots. I could use a car slot - there's one harley rider that REFUSES to park with other bikes and takes up a whole care space for himself. But I haven't felt the need. Mostly there's only 2-3 other riders that park there so we all have plenty of room. If things started getting tight, I'd move to a car spot.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle parking is usually designated to take *advantage* of the smaller spaces motorcycles use. If you take more than one spot - you're basically going against that principle. You might be obeying the letter of the law by being designated a motorcycle when parking in a narrow marked motorcycle spot, but certainly not the spirit. i.e. how about parking in a motorcycle spot while pulling a trailer? You'd have to park across half a dozen spots of so, maybe taking them all.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-05-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: less augmentative

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

opinion is fine lets not make it augmentative. We can have different ones.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If I was towing a trailer with the Spyder, then I'd have no choice but to use a car spot. The cycle spots are too short.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

At work i park in motorcycle parking, we have a couple of small parking lots that are designated MC parking lot only with plenty of parking. On the other hand I'm not allowed to park in the parking garage , no MC is allowed. Most places though I use a car spot.

Spyder Garage

Where I work, I park my Victory Cross Country on the walk in front of the shop door. Usually there's a couple or three bikes there in good weather as the company president rides as do a number of us. When I'm riding the F3, I use a car space. I could probably get the F3 up there without scraping anything serious, but it seems rude to me to take up space that two bikes could fit into. I pretty much feel the same way in parking lots and so forth.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black