Spyder Garage

Default will not go into reverse

I have a 2010 RT standard shift, over the last year I have noticed that getting it into neutral or reverse was getting harder and taking longer. But now it will not go into Reverse at all. Clutch lever and oil levels are fine and it shifts smoothly when riding, it's just the reverse. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what it could be?

Spyder Garage

Gear Position Sensor, or maybe the clutch itself?!?

Have you ever got any codes when it's misbehaving??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

tfatt make sure you have enough fluids in the clutch reservoir , ( when you take off the cap , is the rubber boot " on the cap " hanging down or is it folded into its self ? ( rubber boot is a diaphragm operation , it keeps the pressure in the lines as fluid is getting lower ) your cycle might be in need of internal O-rings , in the clutch housing , don`t freak out , it is an easy operation , it is getting all the Tupperware off and access to the clutch piston... IMG_20090210_162139.jpgIMG_20090210_162139.jpgIMG_20090210_172804.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

this goes well with a second pair of eyes and hands ! but it really isn`t that hard to do , the rubber and brake fluid might have eaten a groove in the clutch piston housing , use very "very fine " sand paper and emery cloth to polish out , then flush with brake fluid ... ( I had a 2012 that this was the same deal , 1st gear was getting hard to hit , then reverse totally went out , the rubber O-rings just were worn out ) when you get it back together , will shift like a dream ! FOOT NOTE : read up on the "not moving the internal parts of the clutch that are the next assembly behind the piston , do not worry they will not fall out onto the floor , but the screw shaft in the center tightens and loosens the clutch plates that are behind the piston housing !

Spyder Garage

hey tfatt ! do you happen to see fluid in the front part of the floor pan , under the front engine area ? ( use a flash light , shine under the front section , if you see some fluid ( will not be much but will cause you to panic , ) this will most likely from the clutch o-ring fail , the oil will drip out of the weep hole in the outside cover of the clutch piston housing area

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Gear Position Sensor, or maybe the clutch itself?!?

Have you ever got any codes when it's misbehaving??
    Peter does the MANUAL trans. have a Position Sensor ???? …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bu

When my RS 2012 did this it was the clutch fluid and I had to replace the o-rings in the slave. I also had an issue with the adjustment to the reverse cable if you have to pull the lever to get to into reverse and the third issue I have seen is the shift lever itself being loose .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Peter does the MANUAL trans. have a Position Sensor ???? …. Mike
    Yes it does. I think his issue is with the left hand controls, the actual reverse button. If it is a 10 it probably has 9 years of crud built up.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default will not go into reverse

I replaced the O rings on the Diagram piston, they were worn, bled the hydraulic clutch lines and I still con not get it into reverse. Its a 2010 RT-s . The clutch is a lot stiffer now and it shifts smothly into all other gears ; except reverse. Any other ideas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you check the relay?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I do not know what realy you are referring to?

Spyder Garage

Not sure your model and year.......... on mine the RFB (Right Fuse Box), relay R1 is the reverse actuator relay. Find that in the correct service manual for your bike and run the electrical tests on it. Instructions in the shop manual. It should be fused through F7 if it is the same as later models.

If you don't have the shop manual, you should get one.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

OK the reverse actuator has power to it but is not sucking in . Now with my limited knowledge of electricity , if it has power it should function; if not it is burnt out? I did notice that the hot wire is hot all the time I do not know if this is normal or not?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tflatt View Post
    OK the reverse actuator has power to it but is not sucking in . Now with my limited knowledge of electricity , if it has power it should function; if not it is burnt out? I did notice that the hot wire is hot all the time I do not know if this is normal or not?
    If it has power and something is stopping the actuator or friction is making it difficult to move the actuator, it will still not be functioning. Collected crud, metal scarring, wear allowing misalignment, could all stop it from functioning as it should, even if it has power on it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I’m thinking the switch failed, and burned up the actuator. Check the circuit, if it is hot, press the switch and measure voltage. If no change, switch is bad. Pull the fuse, measure voltage. If none, replace switch. If the actuator still won’t work, replace it. You might be able to repair those components, but IDK. Take them apart and see. If you can’t fix them, toss them, after.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Ok, I pulled fuse and now no power to actuator put back and power back on. I wanted to pull the switch and check it but I can not get the switch housing to come apart. I can not even find a parts breakdown in my maintenance manual.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You might try looking at Cheap cycle parts . com they have diagrams for most everything there.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IF, and I don't know how big an if it is, the 2010 wiring is basically the same as the 2014 here's what you're looking at. The hot wire, or 12 volt power, coming to the relay is hot all the time. This the norm for Can Am and Japanese systems. The relay is actuated by completing the ground circuit which is done by the ECM. The ECM completes the ground circuit in response to a CAN BUS signal from the left switch cluster. My first thought is the relay in the fuse box is bad. Pull another one from another spot and plug it in and see if you get it to work. If not, then the switch module in the handlebar has a problem. That's not an easy fix since that unit is a printed circuit board with bubble type contacts. You may have to replace the switch module. There is no feasible way, I don't think, to bypass or fix the contact for the reverse button. It's possible, but extremely unlikely, that the ECM has a problem.

Another way to verify that the problem is either the handlebar switch cluster or the ECM is to connect a test light to a 12 volt source and ground it to the ground connection of the relay. The relay will have to be removed. If the test light lights up when you push the reverse button then you know the ECM is completing the ground circuit properly and the relay is bad. Relay contacts do go bad.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree that the reverse push button needs to be removed and checked but The unit that houses it and other buttons will net come apart. I removed the screws but the haves will still not separate enough to get the push button out.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree that the reverse push button needs to be removed and checked but The unit that houses it and other buttons will net come apart. I removed the screws but the haves will still not separate enough to get the push button out.
    I was just looking at the parts diagrams. Man, you've got to get it apart! A new replacement switch module is not available! The two halves of the module have to come apart completely since that's how they're assembled in the first place.

Have you done the test light procedure I mention above?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)