Thread: Belt vibration

Spyder Garage

Default Belt vibration

I know this has been beat to death over the years but.... Just had the dreaded sprocket failure on my 16 F3T SM6 Seminole Pwr Sports did the change out and BRP paid for it. All good, got 30k out of it before failure. But.... I always had the minor vibration between 60-65 that eased up when speed steadied out or at least became much less. Now the vibration is much worse and runs between 60 and 72. Belt tension is in spec at 180 ftlbs. and the belt alignment is spot on.

Opinions on lowering belt tension... have hesitated so far on getting one of Lamont's tensioners.

Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

I would get the tensioner from Lamonster Garage. He did a great job on the pulley design. Before he did this I modified the stock pulley to a two bearing setup. I like that Lamont went with a larger pulley, and if/when mine needs replacing I am going with his.

Putting the belt tensioner on made a world of differance- more so than just lowering the belt tension.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clark View Post
    I know this has been beat to death over the years but.... Just had the dreaded sprocket failure on my 16 F3T SM6 Seminole Pwr Sports did the change out and BRP paid for it. All good, got 30k out of it before failure. But.... I always had the minor vibration between 60-65 that eased up when speed steadied out or at least became much less. Now the vibration is much worse and runs between 60 and 72. Belt tension is in spec at 180 ftlbs. and the belt alignment is spot on.

Opinions on lowering belt tension... have hesitated so far on getting one of Lamont's tensioners.

Pat
    I agree with acquiring a Krikit II. Even though I ride an RTL, the concept is the same. My bike vibrated harshly, and I experimented with lowering belt tensions. I went through about half a dozen or more trials at getting it right. I landed right in a sweet spot once, (understand this is an RTL with a different setup) that didn't shake at any throttle setting or speed. I lost that when I removed the back tire, couldn't duplicate it. Found the lower I went in tension the softer the vibration was, and it also occurred at less speed. Finally got it in the 52 MPH range, just a soft fluttering on hills, and installed a Doc Humphreys (Roadster Renovations) belt vibration dampener. Smooth as all get out. I run the absolute minimum tension listed for an RTL, about 150 Lbs with the wheel on the ground.

BRP TST Bulletin Belt Tension.jpg

I'm including a screen grab of the TSB that Can Am issued in 2015. Basically it says lower the belt tension until the customer can live with the vibration. I just got my RTL back from the dealer, and my belt was over-tightened at 200Lbs. Apparently this is an unpublished rule in the Can Am repair circles, for nothing more than to further disappoint the customer. Looks life your bike needs somewhere in the 200 Newton range (lowest Spec), which will be around 45 Lbs on the Krikit II. One recommendation is to buy the service manual online for your model, or maybe for the 2019 model as Can Am is just now catching up on the manuals, and the new manuals list more information. In the back, under Technical Specifications, you'll find the drive section with the tension spec. It differs (on mine) from the information in the front of the book, and offers a little higher spec (for mine) than the TSB from 2015.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I agree with acquiring a Krikit II. Even though I ride an RTL, the concept is the same. My bike vibrated harshly, and I experimented with lowering belt tensions. I went through about half a dozen or more trials at getting it right. I landed right in a sweet spot once, (understand this is an RTL with a different setup) that didn't shake at any throttle setting or speed. I lost that when I removed the back tire, couldn't duplicate it. Found the lower I went in tension the softer the vibration was, and it also occurred at less speed. Finally got it in the 52 MPH range, just a soft fluttering on hills, and installed a Doc Humphreys (Roadster Renovations) belt vibration dampener. Smooth as all get out. I run the absolute minimum tension listed for an RTL, about 150 Lbs with the wheel on the ground.

BRP TST Bulletin Belt Tension.jpg

I'm including a screen grab of the TSB that Can Am issued in 2015. Basically it says lower the belt tension until the customer can live with the vibration. I just got my RTL back from the dealer, and my belt was over-tightened at 200Lbs. Apparently this is an unpublished rule in the Can Am repair circles, for nothing more than to further disappoint the customer. Looks life your bike needs somewhere in the 200 Newton range (lowest Spec), which will be around 45 Lbs on the Krikit II. One recommendation is to buy the service manual online for your model, or maybe for the 2019 model as Can Am is just now catching up on the manuals, and the new manuals list more information. In the back, under Technical Specifications, you'll find the drive section with the tension spec. It differs (on mine) from the information in the front of the book, and offers a little higher spec (for mine) than the TSB from 2015.
    .... I've owned various Spyders ( 3 ) since 09 …. I learned back in the beginning that a belt tension of 150-160 ( using the KritKit ) tested on the ground, just about eliminates the belt tension..... Without a separate tensioner …… good luck …. Mike