Spyder Garage

Unhappy Repair of the front sproket

I have a 2015 RT Limited and a few days ago I suddenly had a grinding noise when I let off the throttle. I took it to the repair shop and they said my front sprocket went bad. I have an extended warranty, and they are going to submit it but unfortunately they think that the repai is going to be considered wear and tear, and not covered.

My question is, has anyone had the front spoken replaced, and if so, can you tell me how complicated ( expensive) it’s going to be? M mechanic also said there might be an upgrade that I could do on the belts and sprocket to prevent this from occurrung again but of course that definitely won’t be covered. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks....

Spyder Garage

I would be very aggressive insisting this be repaired under warranty. The sprocket is not a normal wear and tear part. There is a history of the front sprockets failing, hence the upgrade.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beedoobee View Post
    I have a 2015 RT Limited and a few days ago I suddenly had a grinding noise when I let off the throttle. I took it to the repair shop and they said my front sprocket went bad. I have an extended warranty, and they are going to submit it but unfortunately they think that the repai is going to be considered wear and tear, and not covered.

My question is, has anyone had the front spoken replaced, and if so, can you tell me how complicated ( expensive) it’s going to be? M mechanic also said there might be an upgrade that I could do on the belts and sprocket to prevent this from occurrung again but of course that definitely won’t be covered. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks....
    " I took it to the repair shop " ??? …. A Can-Am dealer ??? … A private mechanic ??? … it makes a difference ….. Whoever told " wear & tear " is full of Hooey !!! …. and to date there is no better re-placement part …. a number of members here have had this failure occur …. all fixed under WQarranty …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Tough to say as we do not know the extent of the damage and what will need to be replaced. For the most part it has been just the front sproket and the bolt but some have had to change the shaft as well and that does require removing the engine and going into the transmission. I had mine go bad on my RS and well out of warranty and not involved with the issue they have been having lately. I got all my parts from cheapcycleparts.com around $200.00 including all the bearings and seals for the rear wheel. Price may vary as to year and model. I do my own labor but the shop rate and shop hourly will vary as well. Should not be more than an hour BRP flat rate .05 for RS and .06 for RT. Hope they will help out or cover you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you have kept up with normal maintenance schedule and intervals(performed either by the dealer or yourself) shaft failure of the pulley should be a warrantable repair.

Had it failed on the belt side of the pulley, warranty could come into question(depending on what caused the failure).

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.