Spyder Garage

Default Fixing the Crud Build Up on My F3

After spending 5 hours cleaning the crud out of my radiators I wanted to find a way to prevent it that would be easy to service.

I put in aluminum angle as support and then aluminum sheet with openings that I picked up at Menards. I did a cardboard templet and then laid that on the sheet. I then sprayed ground marking paint around the edge of the cardboard. This provided a cut line. I used aluminum bar to clamp the sheet in placed. I also drilled larger holes in the main flow area.

For a filter I wanted something that was thin and allow maximum air flow. I used floor vent filters glued together and then cut to fit. I am going to see if I can find a furnace filter that would be like this that I could use the filter media from. That way I would not need to glue.

Changing the filter out will only require me to remove the 4 screws that hold the grill on.

I will watch the temp to ensure this works without limiting air flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Having experienced how much air-flow restriction is caused by fitting just a similar holey metal sheet to the one you've used, I'd be extremely wary of ryding on a warm day for any distance or in stop/start traffic with that extra filter material on there!! It could cause some significant & expensive over-heating issues very quickly!! Still, even our cold days here in South Aus can be warmer than the hot days in some states over your way, so maybe the ambient temperature differences will mean that you don't have any issues.

But I do reckon you'll get a significant reduction in radiator debris build-up with just the extra metal screen, so adding the additional filter material is over-kill & likely just asking for trouble! And your OE temp gauge might not inform you that things are getting too hot soon enough to remedy the situation; it'll probably sit somewhere in the middle of the dial until the coolant temp is just short of 'waaay OTT', then it'll suddenly swing very rapidly right up to the top of the scale & by then, it's probably too late to avoid a blown gasket or cracked head!!

It's your Spyder tho, so over to you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The maintenance schedule in the operator's manual calls for "Remove front grill and clear all debris from radiator air duct." every 15,000 KM or one year, which ever comes first. "

With regular cleaning and checking according to the maintenance schedule, the radiators should not get build up so bad.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Hi Peter,

I share your concerns, and that's why I will be watching this very carefully. In the last month I had two overheating events due to the build up. The screen would flash a warning and the spyder would run very ruff. I will be carrying a T25 screwdriver with me and at the first sigh of it getting too hot I will pull the filter.
    I am hoping it works, but if not I have very little money invested in it.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The maintenance schedule in the operator's manual calls for "Remove front grill and clear all debris from radiator air duct." every 15,000 KM or one year, which ever comes first. "

With regular cleaning and checking according to the maintenance schedule, the radiators should not get build up so bad.
    Good idea, but most of the packed area was behind the fans, and the fans are hard to remove through the grill opening.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 1st ride with intake mod

Just got back from over 200 miles in 87 temps and did low/ high speed on two lane and 4 lane as well as city streets.

Temp never got past mid way(4 bars) and the fans only came on once when I parked in front of the garage at the end on the ride.

So far so good. Will see how it does when we get into the 90's.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have one of aftermarket screens that does a very good job of keeping stuff out of the grills. Last week both screen were plugged with grasshoppers from our country ride. all i had to do was take a rag and dust off the hords of bugs. When I got home used the air compressor and blew out the remains and all looks clean and ready for another countryside ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I have one of aftermarket screens that does a very good job of keeping stuff out of the grills. Last week both screen were plugged with grasshoppers from our country ride. all i had to do was take a rag and dust off the hords of bugs. When I got home used the air compressor and blew out the remains and all looks clean and ready for another countryside ride.
    That's what I liked about the RT! Front forward radiators that were easy to see if they needed cleaning and the aftermarket screens to help keep them clean.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue