Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake problem

After a ride today we got home, set the brake, indicator light came on, turned off the key. The brake horn sounded off as if I had not set the parking brake. My husband disconnected the battery and of course the horn shut off. He put it back together and all seemed ok. BUT, not so much. He cycled the brake switch with the bike running, we could hear the brake set and release BUT, the brake light stayed on the entire time. Went for a short ride, the brake light stayed on the entire time during the ride, got home, set the brake and heard it set, turned the key off and the parking brake horn sounded. Had to disconnect the battery again...
    Any help would be appreciated, nearest dealer is 85 miles away, in PHOENIX!!!

Spyder Garage

Had this happen when my switch started to go bad. Never have had to disconnect battery after about 45 seconds for me and it would shut off.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaMaBear View Post
    After a ride today we got home, set the brake, indicator light came on, turned off the key. The brake horn sounded off as if I had not set the parking brake. My husband disconnected the battery and of course the horn shut off. He put it back together and all seemed ok. BUT, not so much. He cycled the brake switch with the bike running, we could hear the brake set and release BUT, the brake light stayed on the entire time. Went for a short ride, the brake light stayed on the entire time during the ride, got home, set the brake and heard it set, turned the key off and the parking brake horn sounded. Had to disconnect the battery again...
    Any help would be appreciated, nearest dealer is 85 miles away, in PHOENIX!!!
    If you can take the right side plastic off, you will see the micro switch on the parking brake drum. Cycle the parking brake and you will see how the switch operates. See if it is moving enough to deactivate or uplug the wire to see if alarm stops. Might just need new switch or motor is not cycling park brake drum far enough.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems like the brake and motor are working correctly. Knowing the year of your RT helps, but I think they all work the same. +1 on the micro-switch. Might just need to lube the little arm and plunger. Check that the arm is not bent or that the switch has come loose. You can operate the switch by hand to tell if it is operating correctly.

BTW - if you wait until the shutdown of the bike has timed out, the alarm will stop on it's own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been issues on 18 & 19 RT models, if yours is one then a trip to the dealer is in order.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT literally did the same thing the other day. I thought cause it was hot outside. It only happened the one time. The more issues I am seeing with spyder, the more I am tempted to get a goldwing instead.

Spyder Garage

We used those switches at work ,and they were always giving problems .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot75 View Post
    My 2014 RT literally did the same thing the other day. I thought cause it was hot outside. It only happened the one time. The more issues I am seeing with spyder, the more I am tempted to get a goldwing instead.
    My husband, CPTJAM, rides an 18 Goldwing and it has been in the shop several times for various issues with reverse and hill hold. Maybe he should get a Spyder instead.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Seems like the brake and motor are working correctly. Knowing the year of your RT helps, but I think they all work the same. +1 on the micro-switch. Might just need to lube the little arm and plunger. Check that the arm is not bent or that the switch has come loose. You can operate the switch by hand to tell if it is operating correctly.

BTW - if you wait until the shutdown of the bike has timed out, the alarm will stop on it's own.
    Can't THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! Husband went out to the garage, pulled the panels off, sprayed the switch with degreaser, and low & behold it works fine now!!! Gonna get some oil and a filter kit and change the oil as long as it's apart... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!