Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Warning regarding Sena batteries

Sena does not offer battery replacement. I know there are videos on how to replace with a different battery and change out the connectors, but many people do not feel they have the ability to accomplish that. I cannot imagine a manufacturer not offering plug and play battery replacements.

Spyder Garage

Would you like me to start listing the 100's of products that DO NOT offer "plug and play battery replacement?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    I cannot imagine a manufacturer not offering plug and play battery replacements.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have used Senas since 2014 and have never had a battery issue.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Likewise. Still have the same batteries on my original set. Bought them 2013 ish.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ditto... 4th year with same battery and no loss of efficiency. And... when it happens, there are videos that will help me replace a battery (if I want to or want to move on at that point to something newer). Try changing the battery in many cell phones... its a nightmare... or a GPS unit... or.... From the video I viewed the process to replace in the Sena I own is not that hard a task. But... you are right in this... it would be nice if they would make the battery easier to replace in future products.

Spyder Garage

If I remember right Apple doesn't offer replacement batteries for some of it's products either. I am on my 4th year with my Senas and they are going strong.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you're interested in changing batteries but don't feel comfortable I believe Finless Bob will change them if you send him your communicators, new batteries, and $$ for postage. Seem to recall reading that somewhere on the forum not long ago.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

The aftermarket sells a replacement for the Sena units. The one I purchased had a connector made of soft cheese and I had to solder the wires.

Lew l
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still going strong on the same battery in my Sena 20s since 2014. Finless Bob is a great resource.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    Sena does not offer battery replacement. I know there are videos on how to replace with a different battery and change out the connectors, but many people do not feel they have the ability to accomplish that. I cannot imagine a manufacturer not offering plug and play battery replacements.
    Do you need to replace yours? How old is it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I replaced one of my batteries on a 20S following a video and it was not a difficult job at all.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Sena 20s in 2014 and last year when it was cold out... below 40 degrees the Sena would just work and then shut off. When it was warm there were no problems. I contacted Sena and they said that the battery was old. I bought a new 20s EVO to replace it. It would have been nice to have a "plug and play" option as the unit was still good.. but...... And yes there are lots of manufactures that do not have that option... doesn't make it right. Apple does come to mind, but they are just greedy and hope you will buy something new. (apparently Sena does as well).
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    I bought my Sena 20s in 2014 and last year when it was cold out... below 40 degrees the Sena would just work and then shut off. When it was warm there were no problems. I contacted Sena and they said that the battery was old. I bought a new 20s EVO to replace it. It would have been nice to have a "plug and play" option as the unit was still good.. but...... And yes there are lots of manufactures that do not have that option... doesn't make it right. Apple does come to mind, but they are just greedy and hope you will buy something new. (apparently Sena does as well).
    Corporations aren't people and don't have human attributes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

IMO, the biggest enemy to Sena battery life, at least on the SMH10, is too frequent charging when there is still plenty of charge in the battery; it gets a signature that shortens its performance life. I charge my SMH10 daily ONLY when on a long tour. All other times I just run it until I get the ,"Low battery, goodbye" warning. Before my most recent tour I just left it on unattended until it shut off by itself and then fully charged it the day before my departure. My SMH10 has been performing well for 4+ years.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    If you're interested in changing batteries but don't feel comfortable I believe Finless Bob will change them if you send him your communicators, new batteries, and $$ for postage. Seem to recall reading that somewhere on the forum not long ago.
    Yes Finless Bob will do that. I asked.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, the biggest enemy to Sena battery life, at least on the SMH10, is too frequent charging when there is still plenty of charge in the battery; it gets a signature that shortens its performance life. I charge my SMH10 daily ONLY when on a long tour. All other times I just run it until I get the ,"Low battery, goodbye" warning. Before my most recent tour I just left it on unattended until it shut off by itself and then fully charged it the day before my departure. My SMH10 has been performing well for 4+ years.
    That does not apply to lithium batteries like what are in a Sena. That was a characteristic of Nicad batteries. My Sena SHM10 headset is plugged in and charged almost everytime I use it. Most of the time it stays plugged in until I need it next. I bought the unit in 2012. No sign the battery is going bad yet.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

utah corporations are people and yes they do have feelings and care

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That does not apply to lithium batteries like what are in a Sena. That was a characteristic of Nicad batteries. My Sena SHM10 headset is plugged in and charged almost everytime I use it. Most of the time it stays plugged in until I need it next. I bought the unit in 2012. No sign the battery is going bad yet.
    Sena replaced my first SMH10 under warranty after about a half a year of use because the battery life dropped drastically even though the user's manual said it could be recharged and recharged, "many hundreds of times" and I routinely recharged it after every use. Maybe is doesn't develop a signature but since it's long out of warranty I just let it run down until it automatically shuts off.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Battery University recommends discharging to only about 50% and then recharge. Once the battery is at 100% don't leave it plugged. Don't put a heavy load on it when it is hot. Heat is a big killer of Lion batteries. Discharge the battery completely every once in awhile, like maybe once a month for a regularly used battery. This lets the internal electronics recalibrate the time to full discharge.

One reason manufacturers don't make batteries replaceable is the proliferation of counterfeit batteries. An after market, cheap imitation of the original, may actually be dangerous.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't realize Sena used Lithium Ion batteries in their head seats. Just recently there was a house fire near by caused by a Lithium Ion battery left charging on a work bench in the garage. Don't know anymore specifics, however the local TV news interviewed one of the fire officials who strongly cautioned the use and charging of Lithium Ion batteries. Apparently they are blamed for a number of home fires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I didn't realize Sena used Lithium Ion batteries in their head seats. Just recently there was a house fire near by caused by a Lithium Ion battery left charging on a work bench in the garage. Don't know anymore specifics, however the local TV news interviewed one of the fire officials who strongly cautioned the use and charging of Lithium Ion batteries. Apparently they are blamed for a number of home fires.
    It's almost impossible to buy anything that is battery driven today that does not use some type LIon or LIpo battery. Yes, they can under certain conditions erupt in flame, But, so can your TV, microwave, stove, dishwasher, heater, lawn mover, gas can, etc. That's why we were given common sense........ if we choose to use it. Also why fire extinguishers and insurance were invented.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deleted
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep. I recall years back when cell phones in the far east were setting fires and luckily they were not allowed for import to the US. I don't remember the brand or the models but glad someone was on top of it before they were distributed here. Sometime ago I had a Skill brand battery powered drill. I remember it getting hot enough during charging I could smell it and it was warm to the touch. That made the trash in short order. Had to go in a special trash.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't know anymore specifics, however the local TV news interviewed one of the fire officials who strongly cautioned the use and charging of Lithium Ion batteries. Apparently they are blamed for a number of home fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Tell your local fire official "Don't recharge your smart phone then. Strictly a one-time use device..."
    Pete, surely you're not being serious are you? All the fire official was trying to convey is be sensible in using and charging Lion batteries. Don't use the wrong charger, don't leave them plugged in unless the charger is smart enough to not charge when the battery is at 100%, and so on and so forth. Lion batteries are safe until they are mistreated.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Pete, surely you're not being serious are you? All the fire official was trying to convey is be sensible in using and charging Lion batteries. Don't use the wrong charger, don't leave them plugged in unless the charger is smart enough to not charge when the battery is at 100%, and so on and so forth. Lion batteries are safe until they are mistreated.
    No, I was not being serious. Facetious perhaps.
    2014 RTL Platinum