Spyder Garage

Default Gauges glass...

A couple of question for the RS-S 2015.

The Spyder is doing well and love it, but thinking to add something new (with the hope people will notice me better when braking) and something odd, that not sure how to clean.

The odd thing...
    On the the glass that covers the speedo gauges and all that, behind it, there seems to be some sort of smudge (not sure if from fingers!? or maybe water somehow got behind it). Started to bug the hell out of me :/.
    Can the front glass be removed and cleaned? If yes... how!?

The strobe thing...
    When braking I notice that a lot of drivers behind me get a little too close to me. I don't know if they either not realizing what I do, or just don't care, but I want to add to the rear brake lights a strobe effect just as an extra measure.
    I know that units like the Swess GS-100A are usually used for this stuff, but don't know if they work on our Spyders.
    Did anyone did anything similar and did you had to do anything special to get it working?

Also, on that note, did anyone installed LED bulbs on their tail lights?
    Any issues? I assume the model # for them is 7528.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Front speedometer glass warning, I have worked on my gauge cluster many times. The glass is treated on the inside, if you put anything on it or even whip it you will probably damage it worse, hey I just ordered my 4th replacement. It is better to leave it till you have a replacement in hand. Also do all disassembly/ reassembly in a air conditioned DRY enviroment, otherwise you'll get fog when the temp or humidity changes. Also none coated surgical type gloves are a good idea when handling the replacement lense
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    Front speedometer glass warning, I have worked on my gauge cluster many times. The glass is treated on the inside, if you put anything on it or even whip it you will probably damage it worse, hey I just ordered my 4th replacement. It is better to leave it till you have a replacement in hand. Also do all disassembly/ reassembly in a air conditioned DRY enviroment, otherwise you'll get fog when the temp or humidity changes. Also none coated surgical type gloves are a good idea when handling the replacement lense
    Oh, so they are replaceable?
    Sweet... care to give me some hints on the steps?

The only reason I want to remove it is because someone already put a smudge on it on the inside :/... and it is a little annoying.
    When I originally bought it I thought maybe it was just dirty on the outside, but when I first washed the trike I realized is actually on the inside.

I'm fine with replacing it as well - dealer only I assume?

Spyder Garage

This link may help...there's an embedded video that I followed to clean the glass on my ST-S
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rty-Dash-Panel
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    This link may help...there's an embedded video that I followed to clean the glass on my ST-S
    That is a very helpful video, thank you very much

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Thank you - I will have a look at it!

Spyder Garage

PM sent
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Thanks to Raprider and CoolSpyder2014, now I have a solution to clean that glass.

- - - - - - - - - - -

As for the other thing... I assume nobody actually attempted to install LEDs on the tail lights and use a strobe modulator?
    I guess I will give it a try then...

Spyder Garage

It is probably best to open another conversation for the strobes. I have an RT and have installed a strobe set on a auxiliary light fixture from Show Chrome.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Sure, I guess I could start a new thread... just didn't wanted to bombard the board with new threads .

Spyder Garage

Managed to take off the glass without an issue and clean it up - no more annoying smudge

One other thing that I will probably eventually do is to polish the screen and cover it with some protective film.
    But that's probably like a winter project .

Thank you all for the help!

Spyder Garage

Gave me another idea

Spyder Garage

Considering the price. I would not put a lot of work into the old lens. Just replace it. Also you say you have cleaned the old one. It's not a success until it looks good in the sunshine.

415129349 Lens $24.99 CAD

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Considering the price. I would not put a lot of work into the old lens. Just replace it. Also you say you have cleaned the old one. It's not a success until it looks good in the sunshine.

415129349 Lens $24.99 CAD
    It does looks good in the sunshine .
    I have no issues with it.

As for putting work into it... considering that winters in Canada are kind of long, it will entertain me for a day or two. If it gets damaged in the process, then I can replace it, not a problem.

Spyder Garage

So I contacted Corning about their Gorrilla glass for phones. They said they make display glass for some HDs . I replied and told them is would be a nice aftermarket item for us can am users. You may want to send them an email showing your desire for this line of products.