Thread: Hand brake?

Spyder Garage

Default Hand brake?

Is there someone working on one? I hate the foot break. The pad is too small. My foot gets caught up in the bodywork or slips off. The thing is crap.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Is there someone working on one? I hate the foot break. The pad is too small. My foot gets caught up in the bodywork or slips off. The thing is crap.
    I agree, I would like a hand brake but Can Am does not put them on any of there vehicles.

There was an after market hand brake for the Spyders but it was expensive and kind of awkward the way it integrated with the brakes.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    That looks promising. Thanks
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

One that we all know from Icsi (not sure on the lettering) but rather expensive. You do see a lot of posts for the larger brake pedal and there are a few of those. I made up my own for the RS both brake and park brake. I hear tell the hand brake is effective but lacks the full power of the foot brake but having both and being able to use them both should do the trick. I had no trouble adjusting to only the one brake some don't....:
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I was literally just on the phone with a local spyder tech who also happens to be a wheelchair user discussing this very issue. Apparently the aftermarket has yet to put out a ryker specific variant just yet.
    2009 black segway i2 w/ black leanseats and roho pads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a few people on this facebook group that have installed hand brakes on their Ryker. About $1500.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2093...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Just search hand brake on that FB group

Spyder Garage

Default Possible solution for you

I'm a t-10 Paraplegic called Jaymac. You can check my past posts where I made a handbrake for my F3. This is what I did for my new Ryker rally. No one will make it for u because of insurance liability so u have to make them for yourself. Unfortunately I am having to sell my Ryker with only 5.6 miles on it due to an injury on my rear the will never let me ride again. I have a post on the site with it for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    I'm a t-10 Paraplegic called Jaymac. You can check my past posts where I made a handbrake for my F3. This is what I did for my new Ryker rally. No one will make it for u because of insurance liability so u have to make them for yourself. Unfortunately I am having to sell my Ryker with only 5.6 miles on it due to an injury on my rear the will never let me ride again. I have a post on the site with it for sale.
    I am sorry to hear that Jaymac. I hope you did get many miles through the years to remember.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My problem is exactly the opposite. I have been riding two wheelers for decades and can no longer do it. My clutch hand is about to have two surgeries and my left knee is going to have to be replaced. That is the whole reason I purchased a Ryker. No gears to worry about and NO clutch, and I do not have to worry about balancing it at a stop. I had installed an "easy clutch" but even that is bothersome now. The foot brake works fine for me, although I am still getting used to just the foot brake instead of a combination foot and hand brake. I might put a larger brake pedal pad on it, since I agree with others on here about it being rather small. Until the Ryker, I really would not have considered a can am at all. When I sat on one at a bike show, I did not feel like I was on a bike. I felt like I was sitting high on a convertable car....sort of. Just did not feel like I was going to enjoy the road. But, that is just my personal reflection on their models. Now that I have a Ryker, I am anxious to spend more time on the road and it just feels like a bike with training wheels. Great fun.

I empathize with anyone that has physical limitations and find it difficult to ride. I am sure that someone will come up with a hand brake. After all, they have them for cars. Good luck.

My Harley Davidson 2005 Softail is in the classified ads now.