Spyder Garage

Default Need new rear tire for RT 2012. Tire store recommends directional tire for bike

I've looked over prior posts on front and rear tires for the Spyder since I need new tires for my 2012 RT. I have a front tire that is losing air (despite Ride On) and decided all 3 tires need replaced. The rear one is almost 6 years old and still looks great (it's a Mirada Sport GTX 225/50/15) but the age is worrisome. I was able to order Vredesteins for the front without any difficulty from Tire Rack. They are insisting I should have a directional tire for the rear, rather than the General Altimax RT 43 that previous posts have recommended (215/60/15). They didn't have the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in 205/65/15 or 205/60/15 mentioned in previous posts or the Yokahama S Drive 205/55/15 or AVID Envigor 205/65/15. I checked out Simple Tire's site and my local supplier, also. Ethan at Tire Rack wrote me that "We don’t have anything directional in the 215/60R15 size but a 205/55R15 is slightly shorter and we have a suitable tire by Yokohama or Dunlop." I'm not sure which Yokohama he's referring to since I didn't see any available when I was online. When I told him many of us are using car tires with good results, he said "Yes, we have seen this often. The rear tire should be a directional style tread as you would find on a motorcycle tire. This tire (the General Altimax RT) is not directional which is why we do not recommend this tire for the rear. We don’t have a good choice for the rear and would suggest using a motorcycle tire for safest operation." Anyone with suggestions on my next step? Is there something I can write/say to him that will get me one of the tires you guys have recommended? I don't know enough to make a good point. Sure do miss Rags on days like these. Thanks for your help.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

You cannot safely fit a 'motorcycle tire' on the Spyder OE rear rim - the rim is a J type rim which calls for a J type Passenger car tire, so the only SAFE fitting on that rim is a Passenger car tire or the OE Spec Kenda or its Arachnid clone! Here in Aus it is ILLEGAL for a tire fitter to fit a Motorcycle tire on a J or JJ Type rim!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Order it online and say that it’s for a homemade trailer.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm TRYING to order it online! Got some insane message from them starting the whole thing off that he can't release my order without further discussion!
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

I would just tell him that the vehicle did not come with a directional tire. That you DO NOT want a directional tire and that any motorcycle tire will not fit the rim. Sounds to me like you're giving some bonehead enough information to cause him to try to think. Have him just fill your order for the tire YOU want..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Try Discounttire.com

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Take a look at these on TiresEasy.com

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/?fi...ireBrand,Kumho

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Walmart sells the General Altimax, and they don't ask questions.

If you insist on buying it on-line and they give you grief about it not being appropriate for a Spyder, tell them it's for a 1970 VW dune buggy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Walmart sells the General Altimax, and they don't ask questions.

If you insist on buying it on-line and they give you grief about it not being appropriate for a Spyder, tell them it's for a 1970 VW dune buggy.
    Walmart is where I got mine. Good price, too.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    I'm TRYING to order it online! Got some insane message from them starting the whole thing off that he can't release my order without further discussion!
    USE A DIFFERENT EMAIL OR LOGON NAME. BUY IT. I HAVE ONE. General Altimax RT
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I ordered an Altimax in 215/60/15 this morning on Amazon for $83 with free shipping. It will be here tomorrow afternoon.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Came home from an evening out and opened an email from Tire Rack that my order for 3 tires was cancelled. They are not allowed to sell passenger car tires for a Spyder. RATS!!!����. Looks like I won't be getting Brownie up and running this week. Thanks for the feedback/suggestions, everyone.
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    Came home from an evening out and opened an email from Tire Rack that my order for 3 tires was cancelled. They are not allowed to sell passenger car tires for a Spyder. RATS!!!����. Looks like I won't be getting Brownie up and running this week. Thanks for the feedback/suggestions, everyone.
    Did you go to the link I provided to TiresEasy? The last two listed there are the General Altimax. I know it may not happen this week, but I've purchased three tires through them and each one arrived on my doorstep in about three or four days.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White