Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sonic Tension Question.

All,

Just got my machine (2018 RTL) out of warranty limbo, checked it over before riding home and wouldn't you know it, the belt is too tight and vibrating. Even with the dampener on the belt.

Looking through the paperwork on the 3000 mile service, the tech acknowledged everything I asked them to do. I run the axle torque at 25% less due to lubricant on the threads, don't fold my split pin over, just slightly spread it, etc.

In reporting the belt request, I had asked them to skip the belt unless they couldn't. Paperwork said belt far outside of spec, set to minimum spec as per customer. They then reported the spec as 950 Hz.

For those of you that use sonic testers, is this a typo? Did they mean 950 Newtons? I saw ± 200 Lbs on the Krikit II, and 950 Newtons is 213.5 Lbs. converted.

I suspect 950 Hz would be somewhat high.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Gates Sonic belt testing app......Iphone - Try it out?

It's my understanding the phone app is most accurate when the phone is placed on the floor(no hand shake)while testing.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Mr. Jeriatric,
    Unfortunately I'm in the Android clan.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. Jeriatric,
    Unfortunately I'm in the Android clan.
    Oh well. Since I've only read briefly on its use by motorcycle owners I'm not gonna be much help. They say, there are several sonic apps available? fwiw

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure but I believe the Spyder manual references a Gates sonic meter P.N. 529 036 115.

What I'm looking for is someone who has used the OEM sonic tester to tell me if it reports back in Hz, which necessarily would have some kind of conversion to Newtons or Lbs of force.

I measured about 200 Lbs of force with the wheel on the ground at the dealership before I rode it home, and it vibrated pretty badly. From my past settings, that should be around 170 lbs in the air. Just wondering of someone can supply a correlation between 950 Hz (wondering if this is a typo) and the 200 lbs force with the wheel on the ground.

I'll measure the wheel off the ground force when I go to reset the tension to my normal range (150-160 Lb. on the ground for me).
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure but I believe the Spyder manual references a Gates sonic meter P.N. 529 036 115.

What I'm looking for is someone who has used the OEM sonic tester to tell me if it reports back in Hz, which necessarily would have some kind of conversion to Newtons or Lbs of force.

I measured about 200 Lbs of force with the wheel on the ground at the dealership before I rode it home, and it vibrated pretty badly. From my past settings, that should be around 170 lbs in the air. Just wondering of someone can supply a correlation between 950 Hz (wondering if this is a typo) and the 200 lbs force with the wheel on the ground.

I'll measure the wheel off the ground force when I go to reset the tension to my normal range (150-160 Lb. on the ground for me).
    1,000 hertz in pound-force = 224.8 lbs of force

950 hertz in pound force = 213.5 lbs of force

900 hertz in pound force = 202.02 lbs of force

https://converterin.com/frequency/he...und-force.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    1,000 hertz in pound-force = 224.8 lbs of force

950 hertz in pound force = 213.5 lbs of force

900 hertz in pound force = 202.02 lbs of force
    That doesn't make any sense, the frequency will depend on the length of the vibrating member. For a given tension, half the length will be twice the frequency.

My belt is approximately 110hz on the ground. I reckon that's possibly on the tight side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, the frequency will depend on the length of the vibrating member.

My belt is approximately 110hz on the ground. I reckon that's possibly on the tight side.
    I was attempting to convert the 950 number you said the dealer had written down. Along with your 200 lb guesstimate when you measured it at the dealers.

Wish it would have been worth the effort........obviously it was not. Sorry bout that

Spyder Garage

I was attempting to convert the 950 number you said the dealer had written down. Along with your 200 lb guesstimate when you measured it at the dealers.

Wish it would have been worth the effort........obviously it was not. Sorry bout that
    Hehe, no problem, it wasn't me who asked!

Spyder Garage

Hehe, no problem, it wasn't me who asked!
    Ha! No matter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PARTS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND REAR OF VEHICLE LIFTED) 1050 N ± 150 N If the tension of drive belt is out of specification. I think its a bit less with the bulletin that was posted awhile back.

And set your meter to

MASS WIDTH SPAN
    008.0 g/m 28.0 mm/R 0980 mm

Now for hertz to newton is above my pay grade but if I get a chance soon I could test it with my meter just to see what it comes out too.

Spyder Garage

Mr. Jeriatric,

Wasn't me that twisted your tail! I was just asking a question because at this particular time I am ignorant. Soon, I will not be. Many folks have a hard time wearing that cape, but I'm not afraid to ask the ignorant question, especially if I don't know.

I appreciate everyone who contributes to my conversations, even those on a tangent. It moves the conversation forward and also fosters camaraderie.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    PARTS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND REAR OF VEHICLE LIFTED) 1050 N ± 150 N If the tension of drive belt is out of specification. I think its a bit less with the bulletin that was posted awhile back.

And set your meter to

MASS WIDTH SPAN
    008.0 g/m 28.0 mm/R 0980 mm

Now for hertz to newton is above my pay grade but if I get a chance soon I could test it with my meter just to see what it comes out too.
    Mr. tirkermutha,

That's what has me confused. The 950 is close to the lower recommended tension (±50 N), so I was just wondering. Another thing that is hilarious is that in both my 2018 and 2019 RTL service manuals, in the drive section they spec the 1050N ±150N, but in the back under Technical Specifications-Vehicle, page 4 under Drive Belt, it lists 775N ±150N, yet they never, ever seem to acknowledge this lower tension. even to the detriment of their customers.

Belt Tension.jpg
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

....They then reported the spec as 950 Hz....
    Given that mine is about 110Hz and I think it's a little tight, could they possibly mean 95Hz?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr. tirkermutha,

That's what has me confused. The 950 is close to the lower recommended tension (±50 N), so I was just wondering. Another thing that is hilarious is that in both my 2018 and 2019 RTL service manuals, in the drive section they spec the 1050N ±150N, but in the back under Technical Specifications-Vehicle, page 4 under Drive Belt, it lists 775N ±150N, yet they never, ever seem to acknowledge this lower tension. even to the detriment of their customers.

Belt Tension.jpg
    I know they revised the tension and seems they posted the original and revised in your manual. But you mentioned Hz versus N.

So what is 950 HZ in "N"

And as posted above it sounds a bit High post #6 versus the IBF you posted 174IBF but is acceptable

Spyder Garage

Given that mine is about 110Hz and I think it's a little tight, could they possibly mean 95Hz?
    Ms Spyderlass,

I haven't a clue how the sonic tester works as I've never seen one. I don't have any idea as to whether it reports hertz only, or does the force conversion. Not sure of the belt frequency either, saw a video that Mr. Jeriatric provided for the Gates app that showed frequencies of 35-75 Hz for tensions from 28-53 Lbs, but don't know how that correlates to the long RTL belt.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to the manual for the meter. Looks like you have to input several things about what you are measuring.

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...ES_NOBLEED.pdf
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Mr. Jeriatric,

Wasn't me that twisted your tail! I was just asking a question because at this particular time I am ignorant. Soon, I will not be. Many folks have a hard time wearing that cape, but I'm not afraid to ask the ignorant question, especially if I don't know.

I appreciate everyone who contributes to my conversations, even those on a tangent. It moves the conversation forward and also fosters camaraderie.
    I'm laughing. I don't think anyone twisted my tail. There's a line under Jeriatric that says - thinks out loud - because I do. Trial by fire is a good teacher.

Spyder Garage

The Sonic must be feeded with data from the vehicle/belt.

After that you can choose what kind of report you will see on the display - either HZ or N..

I need 1050 N belt tension and this is about 33HZ - i am driving an spyder STS SE5, My2014.

Greatings from germany
    2014 STS SE5 , circuit yellow (metallic)

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'm kinda dense, but I finally pick up on not too subtle clues. Ms Spyderlass and Mr. Germanspyderrider have both indicated that the 950 Hz the tech put on my service report is an unreasonable number (110 Hz on whatever Ms Spyderlass is testing, and 33 Hz on an STS), then I must conclude that the 950 number referenced has to be in Newtons, and is a Typo.

I had asked my dealership to put the belt at minimum specs, and the 950 Newtons is way above the 625 Newtons minimum listed in the book. (775N ±150N=625N).

If all this is true, then I have a basis to write their service department a logical complaint, which may make them learn something, which may make the next poor bastard that has to deal with their BS a more satisfied customer. We only get better through learning.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Regarding the Warranty????? All Spyders come with a minimum of 2 years (from date of purchase) unlimited mileage, yours can not be out of warranty yet if it is a 2018.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Regarding the Warranty????? All Spyders come with a minimum of 2 years (from date of purchase) unlimited mileage, yours can not be out of warranty yet if it is a 2018.

Cruzr Joe
    Mr. Cruzr Joe,
    Possibly the wrong thread? I learning about sonic testing the belt tension here.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Mr. Cruzr Joe,
    Possibly the wrong thread? I learning about sonic testing the belt tension here.
    Sorry first line said out of warranty limbo and i guess i misunderstood what you meant.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Ms Spyderlass has an RTL.
    You can test the frequency of belt vibration easily enough if you have an Android device. Go to the Google play store and download an app for tuning an instrument, I use one called... Wait for it... Instrument tuner. I then use the guitar tuner function to listen to my belt and it gives a reading of the frequency in Hz when I pluck the belt. Surroundings need to be quiet because the belt isn't loud. If you have difficulty getting your device to hear the belt, pluck it and sing the frequency you are hearing and your device should hear that - Bob's yer uncle, it works for me!

Yeh, sing to your bike.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You've obviously never heard me sing! You're lucky. If I sang to my Spyder, it would leave the garage for parts unknown by itself!!!
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-31-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Corrected Auto Correct!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.