Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Let’s Talk headsets

Hi everyone, so because of this forum I have changed my helmet style from a 1/2 helmet to a full face HJC CL-17, its arriving tomorrow, and I convinced my husband to do the same. And now that we have them coming we want to get headsets. I have no clue about whats best for those helmets or really whats out there so I am asking you guys for help. What headset is good for that helmet and easy to set up? We dont do big trips just drive around town locally for now, have 2 young kids at home so its whenever we can get a quick ride in. Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

If your wanting something in inexpensive for just two up riding both cardo and sena have good options, for group riding well the cost starts getting in the ~$485 and up range for two units and to further confuse the matter you have to decide which manufacturer because the technology is proprietary and only communicate by default to each other. You can usually have one non native type connection per headset connection but I found that to be unreliable and time consuming to enable.

Take your time on this one because the moment you open the package and install you own it. If you group ride get the same kind already being used that way you can just sync right up without complications and better reliability.

Spyder Garage

We do not group ride its always only us

Spyder Garage

I JUST picked up a set of Cardo Freecom 2. Got them from Amazon for a decen't price. Running the wires is the hardest part, set up was easy. Since I bought the pair together, they're already paired to each other. We don' ride with a group either, so all we wanted was music/phone and intercom.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have the older Sena SMH 10 units. They work great for talking along the way. Also, I can turn her off (and she me)! The Sena's allow us to stream bluetooth music if wanted and take phone calls. The price point on these is good, since they are not the latest greatest tech. I also use mine with 3 other buddies on our early summer tour each year. (They have decent range and are nice when riding with another bike/bikes... up to 3 other units can connect). I bought mine for that purpose a few years back and it is still working great. I bought hers from someone upgrading and selling on Ebay (around $100 used or $160 single / $250 dual pack new). Installing them is easy. Rubber side down and enjoy the wind together!!

Spyder Garage

with post #5. Our Sena SM10 are the go to helmet set ups for us. We also have a pair of Nolan (40') with built in Nolan N com.

Sena is preferred by us because they will run all day on a charge. Up to two blocks line of site communication. Can be left in the on position for instant communication to the other unit. Very little to none, background noise.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    with post #5. Our Sena SM10 are the go to helmet set ups for us. We also have a pair of Nolan (40') with built in Nolan N com.

Sena is preferred by us because they will run all day on a charge. Up to two blocks line of site communication. Can be left in the on position for instant communication to the other unit. Very little to none, background noise.
    Add us to the SENA users list.

Spyder Garage

Same here...we use the Sena Evo 20S, paid under $400 for the pair back in May from Revzilla.

You'd probably be fine with their older SMH 10 units, and I just saw a dual set on Amazon for $245.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-1...%2C173&sr=8-23

There are posts from others here who have purchased "off brand", i.e. not Sena or Cardo, and substantially less $, so maybe you want to search the forums a bit further for "bluetooth headset", if you want inexpensive and basic comms.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To answer your question, the HJC CL-17 will accept pretty much any of the brand name headsets, so get a paired set with the features you want at a price you're willing to pay.

In other words your choice of headsets has little to do with your choice of helmets.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle Dave, who is in for foot surgery right now but is a site sponsor has the Sena units and usually a bit of a better price than you can find retail.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

+1 on the post from Leftcoast. I bought smh10's from Dave when we first go our RT 3 years ago and they are still going strong. If you have audio in your spyder you can also get the Blootooth Dongle and connecting wires from him for less then BRP wants for the dongle by its self. Enjoy your ride.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Utah Pete - I have HJC CL-17 and the Freecom did not fit into it because there are no ear holes or side depressions for the speakers. I tried putting it nearer to the top of the helmet and it was painful when I put it on. My HJC 3/4 helmet worked fine.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

We have the Sena's and like them. One nice thing about the HJC helmets is the removable padding, makes headset installation a lot easier.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy37 View Post
    Hi everyone, so because of this forum I have changed my helmet style from a 1/2 helmet to a full face HJC CL-17, its arriving tomorrow, and I convinced my husband to do the same. And now that we have them coming we want to get headsets. I have no clue about whats best for those helmets or really whats out there so I am asking you guys for help. What headset is good for that helmet and easy to set up? We dont do big trips just drive around town locally for now, have 2 young kids at home so its whenever we can get a quick ride in. Thanks for the help
    I have the Sena SMH5-FM works great and less expensive.

Spyder Garage

i have the cardo pack talk bold and i have had zero issues with it and do not regret spending the extra money. My son and i went in on a duo pack and got it for 415 off amazon. I have a ryker which means no radio so the radio feature on the pack talk is really nice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Utah Pete - I have HJC CL-17 and the Freecom did not fit into it because there are no ear holes or side depressions for the speakers. I tried putting it nearer to the top of the helmet and it was painful when I put it on. My HJC 3/4 helmet worked fine.
    Jim
    Yes, I understand. But that will be true of any headset in that helmet. She will have to use the old heated soup spoon trick to create the necessary depression in the foam.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Although my BiLT helmets have the depressions for the speakers, I use earbuds with my Sena 20S EVO on long trips. The sound quality and wind-isolation with earbuds are too good to pass up.

Spyder Garage

what brand of ear buds do you use? I have never had a set that didn't hurt my ears when used inside a helmet.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Good question on the ear buds. I have the Freecom 2 and they work well once you understand how to set them up.
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    what brand of ear buds do you use? I have never had a set that didn't hurt my ears when used inside a helmet.
    Right now, I'm liking the Skull Candy Ink'd Classics, as the sound quality is decent. They're intended for smart phones as they have a mic, but Sena will use them fine and ignore the mic input.
    https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Or...dp_ob_title_ce

I also tried some $4.95 generics from WallyWorld because they came with different sized earpieces but the sound was marginal. At present, earbuds are falling out of favor so there isn't as much selection as there used to be. There are (online) super high quality ones available - but they tend to be too bulky.

Spyder Garage

Pete:

It is possible to depress the foam in the helmet and not risk the safety integrity of the helmet? May I ask what to do - I love the full face helmet , but without the headset do not use it as much.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

We do not group ride its always only us
    My wife and I are in the same situation. We use Sena SMH-5s, the simplest Sena you can get. Sound quality is fine, battery life is fine for several hours although I have noticed that they go dead after about 5 hours (we talk a lot), so I bought a second identical pair that can just clip right into the same mounts (cheap as they are, two pairs cost less than one pair of some of the higher models). IMO simple is better, I can receive calls, I can talk to my wife, and I think music is a distraction while riding.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Pete:

It is possible to depress the foam in the helmet and not risk the safety integrity of the helmet? May I ask what to do - I love the full face helmet , but without the headset do not use it as much.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    Jim, I'm no expert, but from what I have read and experienced over the years creating a depression in the foam at the ears to accommodate the headset speakers is a fairly common helmet mod and doesn't affect the overall integrity of the helmet.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    These MEE Audio M6 earbuds are low profile and sound great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEE-Audio-M...72.m2749.l2649

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here
    Give me a call, I will be happy to walk you through the maze to the right one for you
    I am your friendly neighborhood SENA dealer.
    209-887-3283
    email motorcycledave@mac.com[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5][B]
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    PS I CAN SAVE YOU $$$ MONEY $$$

Attached Images Attached Images