Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    As promised. My whine is gone for the most part. It was more of a whistle. My belt tension was about 110 (low) and my belt was 3.2 mm from the inner rim of the sprocket measured with a digital caliper. My new belt tension is roughly 150 and the distance from the inner sprocket rim has been adjusted to 1mm (too narrow to measure with a caliper).

The position looks pretty much bang on to me, but what is it that rubs on the outside of your belt?

Spyder Garage

IMG_0049.jpg The wifes 16 F3T just had the front sprocket replaced with a new one after she complained of a whining noise under load/acceleration. The shop said the splines were wore and replaced the sprocket under warranty. Since then there has still been a whine/whirrring sound, but the belt alignment looks good, other than the front sprocket which is running towards the outer edge.

I thought that the belt might be getting "used to" the new front sprocket but last week when I was laying under it I used a SMALL PEA -sized dab of synthetic grease (Harbor Freight gray tube) and with it on the end of my index finger, spun the belt and applied a SLIGHT amount to the crest of the belt teeth and a little on the outer edge which was close to the front sprocket flange.

Since then, my wife says the noise is gone, and all is well with the world... hoping so, Your results may VaryIMG_0050.jpg
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 08-07-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: SMALL
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

As promised. My whine is gone for the most part. It was more of a whistle. My belt tension was about 110 (low) and my belt was 3.2 mm from the inner rim of the sprocket measured with a digital caliper. My new belt tension is roughly 150 and the distance from the inner sprocket rim has been adjusted to 1mm (too narrow to measure with a caliper).

My belt has always been right up to the inner flange on the rear sprocket and it went straight back there after the tire change with no input from me. I've never checked the front socket alignment - only a quick look for the red rust but all clear for that.

Mine was definitely a whine and it was speed dependant but not gear dependant. So I knew it was in the final drive somewhere.

Following the last post about lubing the belt getting rid of the whine maybe I ended up lubing something other than just the shaft by accident. The mystery deepens - we need Angela Lansbury on the case!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    The position looks pretty much bang on to me, but what is it that rubs on the outside of your belt?
    That showed itself after installing Lamont's roller on my BRP idler. It's mostly dust.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I have been dealing with this problem for a year now. Had a 2016 F3L (NO WHINE) and traded it for a 2018 F3L. Noticed the whine from day one. Thought it might go away after sometime or "break-in". Similar to the marbles on the left side of the motor that goes away after the first oil change. Hasn't happened, been to two different dealers both said normal some do it some don't. Loud enough at cruising speed that is very annoying and over the sound of music in my helmet. I can tell you one thing. It has nothing to do with the belt or the rear bearings. It all has to do with the engine and engine RPM at least in my bike. It is there throughout the RPM range and much more noticeable between 2800 and 3600 RPM. Easily proved & you don't need the bike to be moving. Just start it make sure the brake is set and rev the motor up to 3200 RPM (seems the worst here) the whine comes right out of the right side of the motor. What is it? What to do with it? Don't know. I guess I'll just have to keep riding, 3600 miles now. But like everyone says not the quality you expect for the money we pay for these. I suspect the RT's have it too but all the extra panels "hide" the whine better. Love the hear reason for it or a fix! Try my test I would love to hear if anyone else has the same results!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    IMG_0049.jpg The wifes 16 F3T just had the front sprocket replaced with a new one after she complained of a whining noise under load/acceleration. The shop said the splines were wore and replaced the sprocket under warranty. Since then there has still been a whine/whirrring sound, but the belt alignment looks good, other than the front sprocket which is running towards the outer edge.

I thought that the belt might be getting "used to" the new front sprocket but last week when I was laying under it I used a pea sized dab of synthetic grease (Harbor Freight gray tube) and with it on the end of my index finger, spun the belt and applied a slight amount to the crest of the belt teeth and a little on the outer edge which was close to the front sprocket flange.

Since then, my wife says the noise is gone, and all is well with the world... hoping so, Your results may VaryIMG_0050.jpg
    I don't have this problem as I have an older 998 RT so this is just a shot in the dark but is it possible that a squirt of belt dressing would remove the whine? Just extrapolating here from the dab of grease results. Hope you all find a cure. We went thru this with Yamaha on the Royal Stars and they finally came up with a clutch basket change out, but if that didn't fix it you were just SOL.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    To answer your question, no.

I think you're right in assuming it's the belt.
    Welcome to the "whine" club. Mine does the same thing only from 39-42MPH. I think it's the belt because if you change the belt tension it does it at a different speed. And the alignment on mine is within specs on the rear sprocket.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post

I thought that the belt might be getting "used to" the new front sprocket but last week when I was laying under it I used a pea sized dab of synthetic grease (Harbor Freight gray tube) and with it on the end of my index finger, spun the belt and applied a slight amount to the crest of the belt teeth and a little on the outer edge which was close to the front sprocket flange.

Synthetic grease won't cause the belt to deteriorate? That would be my concern. I was considering doing the same thing to mine, using Mobil 1 grease.
    Last edited by TerryTheSpyderRyder; 08-07-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggyman View Post
    Better get used to the noise. I had the same noise issue on my 2019 F 3 basic, the machine was in the shop for 7 weeks, the shop was in constant contact with BRP engineering and performed many recommendations from BRP without success.
    The final outcome was an agreement between the dealer and BRP to replace my unit with a new one, however the new unit makes the same noise.
    DAMN!. You literally replaced every part!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I don't have this problem as I have an older 998 RT so this is just a shot in the dark but is it possible that a squirt of belt dressing would remove the whine? Just extrapolating here from the dab of grease results. Hope you all find a cure. We went thru this with Yamaha on the Royal Stars and they finally came up with a clutch basket change out, but if that didn't fix it you were just SOL.
    Never thought of that. Great idea. I will try it!

>Belt Dressing<
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Tried belt dressing, but no change.

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear that

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just installed the optional BRP Belt Tensioner/idler, but no change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Synthetic grease won't cause the belt to deteriorate? That would be my concern. I was considering doing the same thing to mine, using Mobil 1 grease.
    Dont know about Mobil 1 grease, but here is what I found on the Super Lube site from Synco...https://www.super-lube.com/Content/I...20Syncolon.pdf It says Not Compatible with silicone rubber but most others look okay...

Personal Disclaimer: No Warranty Expressed OR Implied!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Red rubber grease will be ok but it will collect dust and gradually become grinding paste but worth a try if it helps identify the problem IMHO.

Spyder Garage

I have a safer, easier way of doing this. Instead of removing the lower shock bolt, I remove the four fender bolts and swing the fender out of the way. Then I jack the Spyder up just enough to take the wieght off the axle. It comes out easily then (providing it isn't seized from lack of lubrication), and I roll the wheel out the back! No heavy lifting and the Spyder isnt jacked way into the air, never a good thing when using a jack on anything. And, you're never under the machine. Also, before putting the axle back in, coat it with synthetic grease per the manual. Don't use anything else and coat it from where the threads end on the shaft.
    Last edited by TerryTheSpyderRyder; 08-08-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typos, of course!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I have been dealing with this problem for a year now. Had a 2016 F3L (NO WHINE) and traded it for a 2018 F3L. Noticed the whine from day one. Thought it might go away after sometime or "break-in". Similar to the marbles on the left side of the motor that goes away after the first oil change. Hasn't happened, been to two different dealers both said normal some do it some don't. Loud enough at cruising speed that is very annoying and over the sound of music in my helmet. I can tell you one thing. It has nothing to do with the belt or the rear bearings. It all has to do with the engine and engine RPM at least in my bike. It is there throughout the RPM range and much more noticeable between 2800 and 3600 RPM. Easily proved & you don't need the bike to be moving. Just start it make sure the brake is set and rev the motor up to 3200 RPM (seems the worst here) the whine comes right out of the right side of the motor. What is it? What to do with it? Don't know. I guess I'll just have to keep riding, 3600 miles now. But like everyone says not the quality you expect for the money we pay for these. I suspect the RT's have it too but all the extra panels "hide" the whine better. Love the hear reason for it or a fix! Try my test I would love to hear if anyone else has the same results!
    I can only say that mine has had the whine for the last 3.5 years but changing the rear tire stopped it completely but not intentionally.

I had always just accepted the whine but now it's totally gone. As I said earlier I changed the tire without altering any of the belt or axle tensioners.

All I did was grease the axle when I put it back in. I also changed rear pads but can't see that being relevant.

So it's not in the engine or gearbox, it's front pulley/belt backwards for certain. Where it is coming from is the question.

Hoping mine doesn't come back now I'm reading how random it is!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I can only say that mine has had the whine for the last 3.5 years but changing the rear tire stopped it completely but not intentionally.

I had always just accepted the whine but now it's totally gone. As I said earlier I changed the tire without altering any of the belt or axle tensioners.

All I did was grease the axle when I put it back in. I also changed rear pads but can't see that being relevant.

So it's not in the engine or gearbox, it's front pulley/belt backwards for certain. Where it is coming from is the question.

Hoping mine doesn't come back now I'm reading how random it is!
    Maybe I'll just add some BT speakers to drown out the whine.

Spyder Garage

Would be helpful to know the tire change... from what to what?

Spyder Garage

Would be helpful to know the tire change... from what to what?
    Sorry - stock Kenda from new so around 5 years old (DOT was July 2014) changed to Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 205/55/15: https://www.y-yokohama.com/release/?id=2571&lang=en. Not sure if this will ever be available in the US, the S-Drive AS01 that I'd read about on here was discontinued in Europe before I could get one.

However the new Advan Fleva is fabulous, so much better than the Kenda, and it contains orange oil!! No idea why but it works.

Spyder Garage

I know it's bad form to reply to your own reply but I thought I'd add that the Advan Fleva V701 is now available in the US and replacing the S-Drive. Thanks to JCThorne for that in another thread on tires..

Spyder Garage

>Belt Dressing<
    So which one did you purchase?
    Did it work?

Spyder Garage

Sorry - stock Kenda from new so around 5 years old (DOT was July 2014) changed to Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 205/55/15: https://www.y-yokohama.com/release/?id=2571&lang=en. Not sure if this will ever be available in the US, the S-Drive AS01 that I'd read about on here was discontinued in Europe before I could get one.

However the new Advan Fleva is fabulous, so much better than the Kenda, and it contains orange oil!! No idea why but it works.
    Thank you so much. Luv the info. That is one beautiful tire! Might try that next time. Belt dressing. Sorry. Caught a virus and have been inop for 8 days! >PRESTONE<

>Orange OIL??<

Spyder Garage

I own a 2019 F3 Spyder and the gear noise between 40 and 47 mph is almost unbearable. I hear the noise regardless of which gear I am using. I am afraid that is atypical for the transmission in these Spyders. I am glad to hear that I am not the only Spyder with this problem. I hope I don't have future problems.

Spyder Garage

looks to me that your drive belt ..Has seen better days...You might try a new belt....MY BELT IS ORIG ON MY 2010 RTS 80K MI. AND LOOKS NEW COMPARED TO YOURS