Spyder Garage

Default Installing rear brake pads

The last time I tried installing rear brake pads on my '15 F3 I could not get the parking brake actuator to retract. As hard as I tried with needle nose pliers, it would just spin but not retract and I was putting a ton of pressure on it. I was also turning it clockwise. I had to trailer it to the dealer to have them do it. Well, the rear pads are worn again and I don't want to have to pay the dealer to do it. I have since bought BajaRon's tool to attach to a 3/8" ratchet. But what if the actuator will not retract again? Any special spray or method to use if this happens again? I have heard of other people with this problem.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I bought a tool kit at Harbor Freight that does the trick. I don't know the name of it but it turns and clamps at the same time.It was easy.

Spyder Garage

A friend had the same problem with his RT rear caliper quite recently. Under the theory that the piston might be a tad askew he very carefully pressed just a tad on the brake pedal and then retried screwing in the piston and it worked perfectly. He then just continued screwing clockwise until the piston was all the way back in. I wasn't there so I can't verbally describe how much the piston moved before he retried screwing it in.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    ...... snip ....
    But what if the actuator will not retract again? ...... snip .....
    Push straight down on the tool as you turn??

Unless the brake pads have worn down to the metal &/or you've operated the brake/park brake without any pads fitted or once the caliper is taken off the disc, the 'ratcheting' thread should still be engaged inside the piston so applying (gentle?) pressure on the piston as you turn should be enough to get it to wind back in. But if you've done anything to run the piston completely off the end of the (internal) thread (see above comment) then you'll need to apply significant pressure and precisely even alignment on the top of the piston while you turn in order to engage the thread again before it'll even think about starting to wind the piston in! A ton of pressure that's not precisely evenly aligned won't pick up the thread, no matter how often you turn the piston or how hard you press it in!

As for the 'what if?' bit, don't buy yourself trouble before you even start the job! Approach it with a positive attitude & a 'this is something I can & will do' approach and you're far more likely to work out how to get over any little difficulties or minor hiccoughs...

You CAN do this!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just to let everyone know that I replaced my rear brake pads today. The install was easy as I used BajaRon's special tool to retract the piston. The whole operation took about 30 minutes. Not a hard job at all. The front pads are even easier.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A friend had the same problem with his RT rear caliper quite recently. Under the theory that the piston might be a tad askew he very carefully pressed just a tad on the brake pedal and then retried screwing in the piston and it worked perfectly. He then just continued screwing clockwise until the piston was all the way back in. I wasn't there so I can't verbally describe how much the piston moved before he retried screwing it in.
    About 1mm. Then scrub the edges of the piston with brake cleaner, and it compresses nicely! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system