Spyder Garage

Default Adjustment for OEM Driver's backrest

I put the OEM driver's backrest in yesterday, and rode into work this morning. Felt like I was being pushed way forward. Is there any adjustment for that thing? If not, it's coming off and getting sold.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Should be a screw under the flap on the bottom of the back rest that allows you to adjust the forward and backward setting.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Here's the adjustment screw. It takes a 5 mm Allen wrench to adjust and the thread is coarse so a little tweaking goes a long way.
    Backrest Adjustmebt Screw.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I feel the same way with mine. I'm still adjusting to see where I want to keep it at.

Lawdog, retired police but still doing the job for second retirement.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt grey, chrome, back rest, arm rests, cup holders from canamspyderaccessories.com

Spyder Garage

Great, thanks for the help. I'll be trying that out today and see how it goes.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here's the adjustment screw. It takes a 5 mm Allen wrench to adjust and the thread is coarse so a little tweaking goes a long way.
    Backrest Adjustmebt Screw.jpg
    Just looked. Nothing like that under mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Just looked. Nothing like that under mine.
    Then you have the non-adjustable version. There is an accessory kit you can buy to make it adjustable, but it's pretty pricey. Last time I checked it was close to $100.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Boilermaker! I thought most folks were aware that when BRP introduced a drivers backrest for the RT it was not adjustable and then, I don't know when, introduced an adjustable version at which time or shortly thereafter they introduced a kit to convert a nonadjustable backrest to an adjustable one. Go to this link and prowl around,https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...sts-racks.html.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Take it back and ask for a current model? Got mine 2 wks ago and is adjustable!

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same problem. Pushed me too far forward. I found out I had the standard backrest bracket and it was not adjustable. The adjustable bracket solves the problem. I believe the cost was $80.00. Readily available and easy to install..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I put the adjustable kit on mine and still was not enough so took the adjustment screw out to get what I wanted.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Thanks, Boilermaker! I thought most folks were aware that when BRP introduced a drivers backrest for the RT it was not adjustable and then, I don't know when, introduced an adjustable version at which time or shortly thereafter they introduced a kit to convert a nonadjustable backrest to an adjustable one. Go to this link and prowl around,https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...sts-racks.html.
    I went to the link, no response to add to cart. ????
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Worked for me. Call'em at 877-412-7467.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That's what I found this weekend, no adjustment in mine. Oh well, it came with the Tryke, so I'm not that attached to it. Guess it goes.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    That's what I found this weekend, no adjustment in mine. Oh well, it came with the Tryke, so I'm not that attached to it. Guess it goes.
    The adjustable kit for the OEM seat is $80 and your not adjustable backrest will then fit on your bike. Don't know if Cheap Cycle Parts can give a better deal, doubt it because it's an accessory and not a regular part. You could try a Utopia backrest for $249 or try the adjustable kit for your backrest and have the option of removing the adjustability bolt if necessary. My wife gave me the adjustable backrest as a birthday present and I am not at all embarrassed to admit that it was my own stubbornness that kept me from getting one. On real long rides it does reduce fatigue for me. Were I in your boots,since I already had the backrest I'd consider $80 a reasonable gamble. At worst case you could gamble and if it doesn't work, try a Utopia and sell off the nonadjustable backrest and the adjustable backrest support.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S