Spyder Garage

Default Brake pads installer

My question is can a regular bike shop (not spyder shop) install new pads on my RT. The shop I am going to use is very reasonable and did a lot of work on by other two wheelers. I am supplying my own brakes which I purchased .thanks

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

You don't say the year of your RT but if it's a 2014 or later and they can't I wouldn't trust them to do a rusty scooter. You should however ensure they know screw the rear caliper piston clockwise to fully retract it. They also should not turn on the ignition key and depress the brake pedal until they have a firm pedal after both the front and rear pads have been replaced and each chamber of the master cylinder has had the fluid filled to the max level. Without B.U.D.S. they won't be able to clear a brake failure code. If you have a few tools and any mechanical ability you could do it yourself and there are lots of folks on SL who can give detailed narrative help.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You don't say the year of your RT but if it's a 2014 or later and they can't I wouldn't trust them to do a rusty scooter. You should however ensure they know screw the rear caliper piston clockwise to fully retract it. They also should not turn on the ignition key and depress the brake pedal until they have a firm pedal after both the front and rear pads have been replaced and each chamber of the master cylinder has had the fluid filled to the max level. Without B.U.D.S. they won't be able to clear a brake failure code. If you have a few tools and any mechanical ability you could do it yourself and there are lots of folks on SL who can give detailed narrative help.
    According to his bio it's an RSS - year? not stated.

Spyder Garage

Sorry about that ,it is a 2014 RT Ltd.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clary View Post
    My question is can a regular bike shop (not spyder shop) install new pads on my RT. The shop I am going to use is very reasonable and did a lot of work on by other two wheelers. I am supplying my own brakes which I purchased .thanks
    Yes. If they know a few things as stated above.

Some of the independent motorcycle shop are quite good. Some are much better than the dealers, and some are not. My local indy shop is one that I would trust to do work I couldn't. My local Spyder dealer I don't trust. Their sales staff is good, but their shop has a very bad reputation.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    According to his bio it's an RSS - year? not stated.
    In reality it's a 2014 RT ….. that's what the owner ….SAYS ….. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

………. Actually quite a few mambers here do their own …. and most aren't professional mechanics ….. but whoever does it MUST know certain facts if they are to be successful …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Good shop should not have a problem doing a pad change. There are videos available to help out if needed and this site as well. Many of us have done the brakes on our rydes having never done them before and other than the pesky little spring clips on some models and the screw in pistons all are pretty much the same. Knowing if they are qualified is the question as there are shops that will not do them if they honestly feel they do not know enough about the spyder. ... Try to find out what other bikes they have worked on as there are others with ABS etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In reality it's a 2014 RT ….. that's what the owner ….SAYS ….. Mike
    Information provided in the OP's Bio when he originally posted was RSS, which he later posted was NOT current. Not that it matters, Mike.

Spyder Garage

Since it is a 2014 Ltd I think Mike would agree with me the new Brembo brakes are very easy to do pad changes on.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2013 RT's have Brembo brakes also and the piston has to be screwed in with the points of needle nose pliers or a specialty tool such as what Baha Ron sells. Don't know for sure about the other 2013 models.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Don't forget part of a complete brake job is flushing and bleeding the brake fluid. Especially if it has not been done on a bi-annual basis to date.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

JC's correct and without B.U.D.S. the shop can't trigger the ABS module to completely flush out the system.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good advice from all of you. As always if you need advice on anything spyder related check here first. Thanks and ride safe all.