Thread: Overheating F3s

Spyder Garage

Default Overheating F3s

My F3s with 44,000 miles has been overheating so today I tore into it to find out why as the coolant level was fine. The outside of the radiators looked clean. I decided to remove the radiators and change out the fluid.

As you can see the fan side is where the problem is as you can not easily access this and cleaning them without removal is almost useless.

Ordered new clamps and will finish cleaning them in the next 2 days.

Something for all F3 owners to consider as the air flow is from inside out so all the trash hits the backside of the radiators first unlike the RT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

As your pics show the buildup is hidden behind the fans and hard to see and remedy without removal. Wifes 16 F3T was not as bad looking, but I still removed the fans to get to the inside face where I could suck, spray, and brush to help clean. The good thing was once the fans were out of the way, the hose flushing from the sides outside was able to be seen coming through the fins towards the inside.

Great Pics and good reminder to check and clean... wifes F3T has 49,000 miles and counting..CleaningRadiators.jpgIMG_0075.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Man, that's some crap in those radiators. I'd heard of the build up on the fan sides but have never seen anything like that.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

On my RT I had overheating issues in ALaska and at Homecoming in Valcourt, turned out the radiators were impacted with mud and so they were replaced. Yesterday this picture came up in my memories from July of 17, less than 1 month after the new radiators were installed, I couldn’t believe how much junk had already accumulated in them.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    On my RT I had overheating issues in ALaska and at Homecoming in Valcourt, turned out the radiators were impacted with mud and so they were replaced. Yesterday this picture came up in my memories from July of 17, less than 1 month after the new radiators were installed, I couldn’t believe how much junk had already accumulated in them.
    Ann,

I thought of you when I found mine. Kathy and I were at the homecoming when yours were replaced. Keep an eye on your temp gauge since you can not see the build up on the F3. I thought mine was running a little hot, but I didn't do anything about it since it didn't get above one bar over half way, until I was on the dragon three weeks ago, and again last Saturday at the Mora parade where it went into excessive heat mode.
    I think I will add this to my yearly maintenance schedule for our F3's - just to be safe

Les

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Shameless Plug for KOTT Grilles

Ann, your picture reminded me of my radiators at 56K with my KOTT Grilles from Spyderpops. When I pulled the frunk I was amazed at how much crud had NOT gotten to the radiators. A few swipes with a tooth brush and everything was clean as a whistle. One can't beat Harvey's Grilles!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Ann, your picture reminded me of my radiators at 56K with my KOTT Grilles from Spyderpops. When I pulled the frunk I was amazed at how much crud had NOT gotten to the radiators. A few swipes with a tooth brush and everything was clean as a whistle. One can't beat Harvey's Grilles!
    Too bad they don't work on F3's!

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

It may only be me but from the pictures it looks like the fins have been bent over around the fan housing... fan may have been hitting them or something got caught up in there as they turned. Have wittled down dowles to fit and straighten them out in the past and not an easy nor fast thing to do. Position of the F3 radiators may be a contributing factor to the build up.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    It may only be me but from the pictures it looks like the fins have been bent over around the fan housing... fan may have been hitting them or something got caught up in there as they turned. Have wittled down dowles to fit and straighten them out in the past and not an easy nor fast thing to do. Position of the F3 radiators may be a contributing factor to the build up.
    I am thinking along the same lines that something came between the fan blades and the radiators as the blades do not look marked up. I just spent many hours with a fine pick and a very small blade screwdriver getting as many fins straight as possible. Thinking about placing washers between the two to gap them more, but not sure if that will hurt the cooling effect.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Finally done cleaning the radiators

It took a long time, but I can now see through them.

Before and After.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

My compliments to you, sir, on your patience, a mandatory character trait for an F3 owner.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Finally done cleaning the radiators

It took a long time, but I can now see through them.

Before and After.
    Is there any way to put some open mesh or screening on the side to prevent or slow down the build - up ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is there any way to put some open mesh or screening on the side to prevent or slow down the build - up ….. Mike
    Hi Mike,

I have been tossing ideals around in my head. There is a mesh behind the front grill, but it has large spaces. I may look to see if I can fasten a smaller opening mesh behind that one. Takes 4 screws to remove the grill so would not be hard to remove for cleaning.

Les

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Hi Mike,

I have been tossing ideals around in my head. There is a mesh behind the front grill, but it has large spaces. I may look to see if I can fasten a smaller opening mesh behind that one. Takes 4 screws to remove the grill so would not be hard to remove for cleaning.

Les
    YES …. great idea ……….. I have an RT which is a different set-up ( physically ) … Years ago I saw this as a possible issue ( clogged radiator ) I removed the OEM screen from in front of both radiators... I then made that mesh smaller in size and brought it forward from where BRP had it ….. I made tabs that I could put screws into , so my mesh was completely and easily removed for cleaning the Radiators …. I have only cleaned mine a few times, so there is no accumulation of debris …. I know the F-3 is different ….. just a thought …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Wow and thanks for the before and after pictures.

Spyder Garage

Here's a post from another thread that I made regarding the subject.

Alright, Here's the finished result using the landscape fabric. You'd never know it wasn't factory unless I told you. Was thinking about getting another BRP stone guard and sandwiching the landscape fabric between the two to get all of the slight wrinkles out. It would look even more factory then.

Rode the bike for an hour in traffic etc., and the temp never rose more than half way on the temp gauge. I was even stopped in traffic for ten minutes idling and the fans kicked on for about 60 seconds and cut back off. This tells me that there is enough airflow and the cooling system is operating as it should be. The temp outside today was 72 degrees.

This stuff is tough too. It is designed to resist penetration, but allow water to get through, and it is easy to cut slits to allow the grille cleats to pass through where needed when mounting it up. It is almost paper thin, which makes it easy as pie to install. It will not get saturated in wet weather and the bugs can't get trapped in between the fibers like on a AC filter mesh. They should hose right off, negating the need to replace it every year. We'll see on that.

I did a video of the process here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

Here's a link to the product. Good stuff. One roll should last you the life of your Spyder.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-B...-50/1001492362

Spyder Garage

Cleaned mines this Winter after 16000mi and 2 years, they were actually not that bad.

MVIMG_20210404_164100.jpg
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.

Spyder Garage

May I ask how you get to / remove the fans themselves? I have pulled the front grill off. Radiators don't look too bad, but there is gunk built up by the fans I'd like to get out.
    Thanks!
    2018 F3T , White / Black

Spyder Garage

You can clean the radiators without removing them. Just blow them out with a compressor