Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are there really THAT many differences between the Spyder and two wheels?

Besides the obvious ones (for the Spyder, no need to put your feet down, safer, etc. For the 2wheels, prob a little more nimble in the curves(or are they?), are there really that much difference between the two in terms of actual riding? Of course the differences that I listed are the main reasons, and that is why I bought mine
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

The big one is counter steer. It can be very difficult for some to adapt their muscle memory not to counter steer on a Spyder. That's where the statements come from that Spyders are dangerous. For others it's not a big deal. It depends on what you have driven with handlebars and how much.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Are there THAT many differences? No, just one that's critically important, the Spyder drives and handles like a car and a motorcycle rides like, well, a motorcycle. The Spyder also has car tires and you stop with your right pedal just like car, and the majority of Spyders have a transmission that's more like a car than a motorcycle. People who never rode motorcycles can easily drive/ryde the Spyder but not vice-versa. It's easier to say what the Spyder has in common with a motorcycle: You sit on both of them, you steer with handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and you adjust the throttle with your right hand instead of your right foot. That's about it. I consider my Spyder to be the world's smallest sports car.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Guess it would depend on where your coming from. Yes of course there is the confinguration, three wheels , single brake pedal, no leaning etc but how well you handle the change and learn to handle your ryde will determine what are the big differences you feel. Too many speculate on what they think would be the differences without giving the change time. Mine can best be discribed as driving a F1 on horseback.... granted no one mentioned a horse.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find this interesting - I went from 50 + years on two wheels to the Spyder GS ( manual ) with ZERO issues …. The dealer said drive it like a car and you won't have any issue …. that's exactly what I did - No issues …….. I think ( besides what's mentioned ) the biggest change for me was when I bought a Spyder ( RSS ) with the semi-auto trans ….. what a game changer …. I wouldn't own a Mtc. without this feature …… jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

After 60+ years on two wheels I still found the learning curve on the Spyder quite a struggle until I read a few blurbs from more experienced Spyder riders. I relaxed and put on the miles. After 800 or so miles, I was more relaxed. Now have 21,000 plus on my 2017 RTS and am relaxed at highway speeds and comfortable in the twistees. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

Very different IMHO. The leaning and balance of your body are different. I still own a Goldwing and have over 300,000 miles on Goldwings. I have just over 30,000 on a Spyder. With a little PLP I can outride myself on the Goldwing -vs- Spyder. But I am more relaxed on the Spyder. It is more forgiving. When switching from one to the other I have to consciously think about what I am doing. Muscle memory from one to the other doesn't change immediately for me. But, it doesn't take long before I'm back into the groove..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have made the transition from two wheels to three without many issues. My first ride on a Spyder was back in 2015 when I first started looking for one for my wife. She and I both test rode a friend's RT with him on the back, but only about 5 minutes each. The next ride was on a 998 of some model I don't recall at the dealership in Altus, OK. It felt pretty unstable but did not have the aftermarket sway bar. The next time I rode one was when we met the seller of our 2014 RT in Denton at my in-laws. He gave me some pretty good and extensive pointers before I ever fired it up and drove off for about 15 minutes in the neighborhood where we met. After giving a couple of family members rides, I set out for home and did just fine for the 420 mile trek. I did have to force myself relax and let the bike rock around under me instead of fighting the motion; much like you need to do on a sailboat I guess. The second thing I had to overcome was reaching for the clutch and hand brake; I still do that occasionally even after ~7K miles. Otherwise; easy change over and switching back and forth with the bikes I still have is pretty easy. This is after ~460K miles logged on motorcycles since 1968, but 360K of that since April of 2000. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the Spyder mainly because of the seat comfort, cruise control, single input for all the brakes, power steering, and immensely safer at stops because of being vertically challenged with weak arthritic hips and knees. The only part I miss a lot is the speed with which I can go through twisty roads on the bikes. I still get that fix when riding alone on one of the bikes and just learn to soak in more scenery when on the Spyder.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

The switch from 2 wheels to 3 wasn't bad because a rode ATV's for years and the handling for me is about the same as the Spyder. So I knew when I was on my cycle or ATV how to handle both differently. They are very different machines. I only have a Spyder now but love riding both my Spyder and 2 wheels when I can.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Still ride both and the difference(imo) is Night & Day. Not a bad thing, they're simply different platforms.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Still ride both and the difference(imo) is Night & Day. Not a bad thing, they're simply different platforms.
    Your Indian is what my last 2 wheeler was. 2014 Chieftain. Same color. Love that bike.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Apples and Oranges...…. they're both fruit but not alike.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Your Indian is what my last 2 wheeler was. 2014 Chieftain. Same color. Love that bike.
    If we weren't separated by so much real estate you could take this one for a putt every once in a while. For old times sake

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Been riding somthing with 2 wheels and an engine since I was about 10. I'm 64 now. We got our first trike in 1992, a VW based Trike Shop (now Roadsmith) Runabout with an automatic transmision. It was mostly my wife's ride, and I had a 1990 HD Electra Glide Sport. They were so different I never did trike stuff on the bike or bike stuff on the trike. We have had other trikes and bikes, but the difference between bike and trike was always apparent. On the other hand, a friend had a silver gray 1996 GL1500 2 wheeler, and a silver gray 1996 GL1500 trike conversion. He had signs on the windshield just below the air vent that said "Bike" and "Trike" so he could remeber to what Goldwing he was riding.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Probably the biggest difference in handling is steering as opposed to counter steering a two wheeler. I hear a lot of experienced two wheel riders comment about how "twitchy" the steering is on Spyders when they first ride them, and I think it is just the sensation of lateral side-to-side G forces of a three wheeler vs. the almost undetectable downward inline vertical G forces of a two wheeler.

Spyder Garage

Here's a big one nobody has mentioned:

If you fishtail a Spyder, you are NOT going down and very unlikely to come off. You can only make this happen while accelerating in a turn on slick road, gravel, dirt (usually from a dead stop). The Spyder auto-corrects this kind of instability. On a motorcycle, you have to fix this yourself quickly to keep from getting intimate with terra firma.

A couple more true of all trikes that actually make a difference:

Riding 2 abreast in a single lane is a bad idea with a very, very narrow margin for error.

Parking 2 in a car parking spot (side by side) is tricky at best.

WAAAAAY more integrated cargo space on the Spyder (even over most trikes).

Spyder Garage

Is enough differences to literally scare a 2 wheel rider (when they get on a Spyder for the first time) - not all, but most.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Apples and Oranges...…. they're both fruit but not alike.
    100%
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    The switch from 2 wheels to 3 wasn't bad because a rode ATV's for years and the handling for me is about the same as the Spyder. So I knew when I was on my cycle or ATV how to handle both differently. They are very different machines. I only have a Spyder now but love riding both my Spyder and 2 wheels when I can.
    I always thought it rode like an ATV also... Now I don't even think about it when I am riding.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Here's a big one nobody has mentioned:

If you fishtail a Spyder, you are NOT going down and very unlikely to come off. You can only make this happen while accelerating in a turn on slick road, gravel, dirt (usually from a dead stop). The Spyder auto-corrects this kind of instability. On a motorcycle, you have to fix this yourself quickly to keep from getting intimate with terra firma.

A couple more true of all trikes that actually make a difference:

Riding 2 abreast in a single lane is a bad idea with a very, very narrow margin for error.

Parking 2 in a car parking spot (side by side) is tricky at best.

WAAAAAY more integrated cargo space on the Spyder (even over most trikes).
    For Parking we pull one in and back the other in... Not to hard to do....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Are there THAT many differences? No, just one that's critically important, the Spyder drives and handles like a car and a motorcycle rides like, well, a motorcycle. The Spyder also has car tires and you stop with your right pedal just like car, and the majority of Spyders have a transmission that's more like a car than a motorcycle. People who never rode motorcycles can easily drive/ryde the Spyder but not vice-versa. It's easier to say what the Spyder has in common with a motorcycle: You sit on both of them, you steer with handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and you adjust the throttle with your right hand instead of your right foot. That's about it. I consider my Spyder to be the world's smallest sports car.

I just bought a Slingshot to add to my collection, and even though they sell it as a motorcycle (just so they do not have to have all the car safety features) it is a Car. Three wheels, but a car for real. Even the little kids in my neighborhood say as I am driving by... "cool car". A bunch of states now classify it as an "Autocycle". I still love my Spyder, but find myself driving the SS more and more. In all honesty, driving the Spyder never felt like a car to me, but really like an ATV. You sit on top of it and it does try to move you like an ATV or Snowmobile... I do not have as many miles on my SPyders as some but I am rocking about 80k on them and really think they are the best for touring. I have only ever had the RT so that is where my opinion comes from. I sold my GW to get a Victory Vision sold my Vision to get my first Spyder in 2011 and now when I ride a 2 wheeler it seems like a lot more work. (Side note... got my first 2 wheeler at 15 and am 66 now) Anyway, regarding the difference, there is no comparison between the two for me other than you ride on top of both of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    For Parking we pull one in and back the other in... Not to hard to do....
    That's the only way it typically works, which brings up another common difference between trikes and bikes: Reverse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    That's the only way it typically works, which brings up another common difference between trikes and bikes: Reverse.
    My Goldwing and my Vision had reverse. My buddies Harley has reverse... Just saying...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another big difference for me is the braking. I did not have the integrated brakes on my Shadow. I do love that you can stomp on the Spyders brake in an emergency, and it STOPS!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Another big difference for me is the braking. I did not have the integrated brakes on my Shadow. I do love that you can stomp on the Spyders brake in an emergency, and it STOPS!
    ~Sandee~
    that's what sold me on the Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum