Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Has Anyone Switched fron an F3-T to a Ryker?

.....or from any F3 to a Ryker? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences, both positive and negative.

I'm thinking of making the switch because, after just over 2 years on my F3-T, I still get painful cramps in my hips. I've tried different seats, an Airhawk pad, adjusting footpeg positions, etc - but nothing has really helped. I still get cramps after riding for sometimes as little as 30 miles.

The problem is that, on the F3-T, my legs get splayed out too far (for me). I've sat on a Ryker in store (but haven't actually ridden one) and was surprised at how much "narrower" the leg splaying seems to be. Has anyone else noticed or experienced this?

Switching to a Ryker would be a big decision for me, so I want to carefully weigh the pros and cons. I've put a lot of $$$ into the F3-T with new seats, new windshield, laser align/swaybar, custom pinstriping, extended BEST warranty etc. While I know that much of that is sunk costs now (ie - I'll never get them back in terms of a sale or trade-in), I also know that I'd probably want to add some accessories to the Ryker (such as windshield and some additional storage, at least) since it seems pretty "Spartan" in it's stock configuration.

So, if anyone could help me out by discussing how happy or unhappy you are with your Ryker after switching from an F3 - especially in terms of comfort - I would really appreciate it.

Oh - if it matters, I ride mostly country roads, try to stay off the interstates, and never ride 2 up, if that matters.

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You really need to take a rest ride and preferably a long one!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A possible solution for splayed out legs is to sit a bit higher. When I was having hip issues, I played around with everything I could think of to get comfortable. 50 miles was an issue some days.

I purchased an AirHawk pad, and a Sheepskin gel pad. I would alternate them and sometimes use both to get through the pain of the day. Both together will sit you about two inches higher...which should bring your legs to a more comfortable position. IMO...worth considering.

Spyderann's suggestion about a long test ride is also right on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No one can answer that question but you. I went from a F3T to the Ryker 900ace. I like the Ryker I don't want to go back to the F3T. But only you can answer your question. There is so much difference between the two bikes. I would say my main reason I switched was the light weight and the handling. To me this is more of the Adventure Bike ride. I don't use it off road at all it just feels light and nimble. From your map it looks like you ride a lot. The only con would be the short range fuel tank. As Spyder Ann said take a long test ride. Good Luck. Tell us what you do.

Spyder Garage

I bet my wife would trade you! She's got a 900 Ryker and I think she's ready to trade to something bigger/heavier now. The Ryker was the first motorcycle she's ever ridden and she loves it, but she's hinted around about an RT or F3
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hello Bert,
    I also have problems with hip cramps. I do a few hip stretching exercises every day and since then I rarely have cramps. Maybe these exercises will also help you, they are cheaper than the exchange of F3-T for Ryker.

Hip stretches - exercises guides
    http://www.stretching-exercises-guid...stretches.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention -- I already use an Airhawk along with a Russell custom seat to sit a bit higher. It helps but doesn't completely solve the problem for me.

I agree with everyone that I need to take a test ride. But I doubt that a dealer would allow to go more than 8-10 miles, which doesn't prove much.

Batmobil-F3, thanks for those videos. I'll give some of those exercises a try. I agree - much cheaper than a trade-in!

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I have both and the F3 is WAY more comfortable SO you better take a Real Good Test drive on the Ryker? The Ryker is Great for the back roads you say you drive most. Next spring when Lots of people are looking to upgrade I just may sell the F3 if the Ryker remains problem Free!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have both and the F3 is WAY more comfortable SO you better take a Real Good Test drive on the Ryker? The Ryker is Great for the back roads you say you drive most. Next spring when Lots of people are looking to upgrade I just may sell the F3 if the Ryker remains problem Free!
    Just to be clear - between the F3 and Ryker, you would sell the F3 even though it's "WAY more comfortable"? Is that what you meant to say?
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I have both the F3L and the Ryker 600. The F3L is far more refined than the Ryker but the Ryker fun factor is greater than the F3L.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Just to be clear - between the F3 and Ryker, you would sell the F3 even though it's "WAY more comfortable"? Is that what you meant to say?
    I,m really Not gonna Sell either one- Each is Great in their own way. The F3 can be Just as aggressive as the Ryker , But to me the Ryker will never be as comfortable as the F3. But the Ryker is more engaging and fun on backroads for turning and burning. I keep both!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    Hello Bert,
    I also have problems with hip cramps. I do a few hip stretching exercises every day and since then I rarely have cramps. Maybe these exercises will also help you, they are cheaper than the exchange of F3-T for Ryker.

Hip stretches - exercises guides
    http://www.stretching-exercises-guid...stretches.html

These work. I had the hip cramping bad enough I considered hanging up the helmet. A fellow at Mid-Ohio turned me onto the various hip exercises and they did wonders for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear that they worked for you. Until now, I thought that I was the only one with hip cramps! I'm going to give them a try.
    Bert

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I agree with everyone that I need to take a test ride. But I doubt that a dealer would allow to go more than 8-10 miles, which doesn't prove much.

Batmobil-F3, thanks for those videos. I'll give some of those exercises a try. I agree - much cheaper than a trade-in!

Thanks!
    Once you get out there on the road, there is not much they can do about you taking a 8-10 mile road test. Especially if you are a serious buyer. At the local Harley dealerships, they will actually let you take them home over night to test ride. Which for me would be the only way to buy a harley. I rented one, and hated it with a passion for the first 20 miles. After about mile number 25, I started to really like it. Not enough to buy one, but it was nice.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Glad I’m not the only one with the “splay” issue. I took a course to get my license this weekend and ran into the same problem. Stuck to the Ryker precisely due to its narrow width.
    2009 black segway i2 w/ black leanseats and roho pads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Once you get out there on the road, there is not much they can do about you taking a 8-10 mile road test. Especially if you are a serious buyer. At the local Harley dealerships, they will actually let you take them home over night to test ride. Which for me would be the only way to buy a harley. I rented one, and hated it with a passion for the first 20 miles. After about mile number 25, I started to really like it. Not enough to buy one, but it was nice.
    Your brain went numb at mile 25! At one time I thought about buying a HD and was told to rent one first; I'd quickly get over the thought of ownership!
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

I went to my local dealer to pick up a Ryker as a second machine to my F3T and after spending some time on the Ryker it would be less painful to slit my wrists, so I ended up getting a 2nd F3L instead.

Here's my findings on the Ryker:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t%92s-Mike-Mas

Enjoy - Mike
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    I went to my local dealer to pick up a Ryker as a second machine to my F3T and after spending some time on the Ryker it would be less painful to slit my wrists, so I ended up getting a 2nd F3L instead.

Here's my findings on the Ryker:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t%92s-Mike-Mas

Enjoy - Mike
    Bert - please make sure you read the whole thread - as there are many satisfied Ryker owners such as me!

Enjoy also!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Removed duplicated image

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    Bert - please make sure you read the whole thread - as there are many satisfied Ryker owners such as me!
    Enjoy also!
    I come fron a GS and than an RT for 45.000 miles - with the Ryker 900 now - 7.000 miles and not one single problem (thats the first different to the Spyders)..
    much better handling - easier to ride (sometimes eight hours 2up ) - technically a complete new Dimension ..
    sit better and feel better than on our "Old" ones .. sorry
    (but we ride most time in the Alps and on the Italian coast ..no "Autobahn" Highways)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

The long reviewers comments about the rykers issues mirrors what I've been told by owners in the UK who've had an F3. Ryker's lack of weight over the front wheels make it struggle with poor road surfaces and it jumps around a lot. I guess if you have really good road surfaces (such as the Austrian guy above - I've ridden in the Alps and the roads are generally very good) it won't be much of an issue. If you drive on broken up roads (as I do in the UK) it does sound worse than the F3.

I've always considered the F3s biggest issue to be how much it weighs as it blunts performance. The more I read between the lines on the Ryker the more I'm thinking the weight may actually be a good thing to keep the front end planted.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What a great picture, love the color.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post

Enjoy also!
    Don't worry - I have read the whole thread. Lots of good info there - and here!

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Have you tried custom floorboards for your Spyder? Moving the position and being able to shift your legs would help with the cramps. I never have that problem on my F3-S, because of the floorboards I installed on mine. I can move to many different positions.

Terry
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    Have you tried custom floorboards for your Spyder? Moving the position and being able to shift your legs would help with the cramps. I never have that problem on my F3-S, because of the floorboards I installed on mine. I can move to many different positions.

Terry
    I've often considered floorboards, but never bought any. I'm hesitant to lay out the cash if I'm not sure they will improve things for me. Especially since there are so many to choose from and my mechanical skills are nil (so I'd have to also pay for installation. ) Good thought though. Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Interesting to see people's choices and how they got to it.
    I kind of went into the other camp... I had a chance to ride F3s and Rykers and from the get go I liked the F3. I like the Ryker's looks but to me, the small luggage space and the fact that I have to pay extra to have a 2 up kind of pushed me away.

And then I got a chance to ride a Spyder RSS and I was stuck on it. And that's what I end up getting - a 2015 RSS.
    I find that it brings both worlds together - fun to drive like a Ryker and comfy with more than enough space, like an F3 (to me at least).