Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Gear engagement noises

I have a 2011 RSS SE5 with 24,000 miles on it which after a recent ride, would not engage 1st gear smoothly.
    It would semi engage, and the bike would move but with a ratcheting sound for a short distance (a few yards) before fully engaging 1st gear and moving on.
    This happens after riding, stopping and trying to take off again whilst still in gear.
    The oil was changed after this occurred with no metal objects being found in the drained oil.
    A further ride has produced the same problems & noises when the bike is at operating temperature, it does not seem to occur on the initial take off when cold.
    As the nearest dealer to me is 950 miles away, can anyone offer any suggestion what this problem may be.

Spyder Garage

I reckon that from your description it sounds like your centrifugal clutch is doing the wrong thing/on its way out Stephenaspr... I take it you don't get the noise or 'slip' on any other gear changes once the Spyder's moving, rather only getting it when starting off from stopped?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes, noise only happens when trying to take off from stationary, no issues once mobile.

Spyder Garage

Sounds more like stripped drive pulley splines to me.

Whatever - the un-reliability spyder bites again.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Sounds more like stripped drive pulley splines to me.

Whatever - the un-reliability spyder bites again.
    " stripped drive pulley splines " ….. why would this only effect first gear start ????? ……….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Check the tightness of the screw that holds the shift lever to the shift shaft. If it is loose it may be allowing the lever to move without moving the shaft enough to put it fully in gear. There is a punch mark on the end of the shift shaft that aligns with the split on the lever. Line those up and tighten the screw and see if that helps your problem. The Shift lever is on the left side close to the bottom. To see it clearly you will need to remove the black rubber and the metal plate. You will also need to remove the long plastic cover. Good luck. BTW if anything is stripped it will be the splines on the shift lever, it is a softer metal then the shaft.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Have already checked the drive pulley, and the gear shift lever, no problems with either of these.