Thread: V.S.S code

Spyder Garage

Default V.S.S code

Today at the start of a ride with my 900 in sport mode sitting at a stop light the engine shut off and the screen flashed V.S.S. code i was able to restart and it ran fine after for a 4 and a half hour ride out of sport mode. Any thoughts on the cause of the error?

Spyder Garage

i have had issues with my 600 stalling when stopped. I would get a limp mode message and the engine light would come one (bike doesnt go into limp mode) and then when i stop it would stall. Error was a misfire issue rear cylinder. It has been in the shop 3x and they cant figure it out. Coils and spark plugs changed but still causing errors. Bike is currently in the shop and hopefully they will figure it out soon. Riding season is too short

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

The VSS warning can come up for a series of reasons. I am sure there are differences in the settings depending on the mode you are in. I have had the VSS pop up for some aggressive manuvers and even on some banked long slow turns. If you have had any front end work like an alignment be sure they reset things with the buds system. Now there is always the glitch where the code pops up and goes away and never comes back. If you shut her down remove the key and let the computers reset then take a similar ryde and see if happens again.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csn29 View Post
    i have had issues with my 600 stalling when stopped. I would get a limp mode message and the engine light would come one (bike doesnt go into limp mode) and then when i stop it would stall. Error was a misfire issue rear cylinder. It has been in the shop 3x and they cant figure it out. Coils and spark plugs changed but still causing errors. Bike is currently in the shop and hopefully they will figure it out soon. Riding season is too short
    Curious as to why it would indicate a rear cylinder as the 600 is a parallel twin. You should get a right left type message. Have not heard of the VSS being involved in this situation but you may not be getting that message with your limp mode. Hopefully they will get it figured out as it seems to be an ignition problem.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Curious as to why it would indicate a rear cylinder as the 600 is a parallel twin. You should get a right left type message. Have not heard of the VSS being involved in this situation but you may not be getting that message with your limp mode. Hopefully they will get it figured out as it seems to be an ignition problem.
    Made that mistake myself recently. The engine is inline with the frame so it does indeed have a front and rear cylinder.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information.... I see both the 600 and the 900 are mounted that way. Clears that up for me...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5