Spyder Garage

Default Parts dilema 2010 RT SM5

I need the diaphram/seal that goes under the cap of the clutch master cylinder on a 2010 Spyder RT SM5. The parts illustration for the master cylinder does not show a seal or diaphram, but, the cap for the master cylinder (called a Cap Set) cost $19.22 which makes me wonder if the cap comes with the needed diaphram/seal. The local Can-Am dealer and parts provider couldn't help. Anyone know what the deal is here? The diaphram on my Spyder is disintegrating and I need a replacement.

Also, in searching this forum for help in bleeding the hydraulic clutch on this forum there is mention of a slave cylinder. I don't find such an animal in the service manual or parts diagram. Is the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder one and the same?

Any and all help appreciated.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The kit includes the diaphram and Partzilla has it for $15.86. The slave cylinder will be on the engine and you probably should check it out as well. There is an o-ring in it that can fail.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The slave cylinder is built into the diaphragm cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default I would think....

The master cylinder cap set would be both the cap and gasket/diaphragm. Usually if listed as cap only then that would be what you get...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had hoped to avoid taking the clutch diaphragm cover off and getting into what I now know is the slave cylinder, but I guess that is the way to go (the master cylinder is virtually dry of hydraulic fluid and the rubber diaphragm is crumbly) so i'll be replacing 3 'O' rings and the bushing as well as the "cap set". Thanks for the input.
    BTW, I found 2WheelPros to have the best prices on these parts. I'll speak with them tomorrow and see how it goes.