Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    https://www.motorcycle.com/top10/the...mpanies.html/2

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm

Apparently not, looks like you've also had a bout with a water pump....

and...…. your point is? fixed under warranty. I was more upset at brp for not having spare parts but it never broke down and I could continue to ride. Are you saying you never had a vehicle that needed work at any point???? your living in a magical world then.

Spyder Garage

I agree completely about dealer incompetence. They are poorly trained on our machines a d they seem to. E grossly understaffed, at least in my area of Ohio. The dealers by me are all owned by the same company with the exception of one and the won't take appointments. They say "just drop it off and we'll get to it when we can". I wish you good luck. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post
    Started having trouble the first week in June (P0172) took it to the dealer checked a few things and reset the code
    a week later the same thing but it spent a week in the shop and that is how it has been the whole summer. They have
    changed out senors and the like but nothing seems to work, It has been in the shop for a week and was informed that
    it will be there for another week (August) so much for summer riding.
    I am not a wealthy man and have worked hard for everything I have, Eighteen thousand dollars for something that I cannot
    trust to ride five miles from home is not going to work. Now if I can find some fool to take it as a trade for something that runs.
    What a mistake, biggest POS I have ever owned.
    Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Oh by the way bought new in Aug. 2018 now has six thousand miles, miracle its made it this far.
    Me thinks, you have a vacuum line with a leak. Hardest thing to find. My second Spyder, 2010 RT spent a month and a half in the shop. I told the shop to work on it when he could. HE was ready to set it on fire before he thought of a possible vacuum line leak. Changed the line, Bingo.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

If I'm correct - Iowa still has a lemon law - might work...

Spyder Garage

I am a newcomer to a used Spyder and have not encountered this ... yet. That said, I can see that service/support is the weak link with owning a Spyder. From the get-go that is what has had me nervous about traveling and being stranded on the road without a competent dealer near at hand. I owned Harleys for 25 years (and Hondas before that) and although service could be expensive, always was able to get moving again quickly. I kind of shudder hearing the experiences/expenses people have endured on these machines. It may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and moves me back toward two wheels in the future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Isn't part of the problem that there are no Can-Am only dealers? I know where I am there are only "powersports" dealers who also carry other brands, not to mention jet skis, atv's and off road vehicles. If this was say a Honda, I would think the dealer would be more interested in a getting the correct parts and knowledge to fix the bike. Also if they wanted to keep the customer happy (for a bike that has been waiting this long to be fixed) they would have a loaner or demo bike on hand. I know the dealers I went to had less knowledge than I had and it seemed like the Spyder was just something they had to have on the floor to complete their selection.
    The dealer I purchased from is BRP only which is unusual, but think about trying to be the business of only selling Ski Doo's, Sea Doo's, Can Am ATV/UTV's and Can Am Spyders.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Isn't part of the problem that there are no Can-Am only dealers? I know where I am there are only "powersports" dealers who also carry other brands, not to mention jet skis, atv's and off road vehicles. If this was say a Honda, I would think the dealer would be more interested in a getting the correct parts and knowledge to fix the bike. Also if they wanted to keep the customer happy (for a bike that has been waiting this long to be fixed) they would have a loaner or demo bike on hand. I know the dealers I went to had less knowledge than I had and it seemed like the Spyder was just something they had to have on the floor to complete their selection.
    Can-Am needs to rethink their SERVICE network!!! Let independents and multibrand motorcycle shops in on the action. Can-Am dealers would benefit from not having to change their whole service department to accommodate tiny volume Spyders.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I am a newcomer to a used Spyder and have not encountered this ... yet. That said, I can see that service/support is the weak link with owning a Spyder. From the get-go that is what has had me nervous about traveling and being stranded on the road without a competent dealer near at hand. I owned Harleys for 25 years (and Hondas before that) and although service could be expensive, always was able to get moving again quickly. I kind of shudder hearing the experiences/expenses people have endured on these machines. It may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and moves me back toward two wheels in the future.
    ……. however for every Spyder out there ….. there are 40 Harleys and 35 Honda's ( conservative est. ) ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Harleys are so simple, as compared to ALL Spyders. Plus, Harley Dealers are dedicated to selling and servicing ONLY Harleys,
    So they are like comparing apples and watermelons! What I really like about Harleys is, the “ Three Hole Oil” changes. The Engine oil, the Primary oil, and the Tranny and Clutch Oils, are all separate, and easy to change. All 3 holes take the same Oil, but do not contaminate each other. Spyders are obviously High Tech, as compared to Harleys, but High Tech Machines require Highly trained, dedicated Technicians to Service them. The only way that will ever happen, is, BRP will have to only recruit Dedicated Can-Am only Dealers, and require those Dealers to send their Service Techs to be trained at the Factory, and Certified EVERY year, same as Auto Mechanics and Harley Mechanics must do. All I am thankful for, is, I sure am glad my Spyder can’t fly, or I would have crashed and burned long ago, and would be buried! Imagine trusting any Spyder with wings, or if it was an Ultralight Aircraft? Rotax does build light Aircraft Engines, but how many Spyder Owners would trust Spyder Dealers to keep them in the air with out crashing?
    007James

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ……. however for every Spyder out there ….. there are 40 Harleys and 35 Honda's ( conservative est. ) ….. Mike
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Imagine trusting any Spyder with wings....how many Spyder Owners would trust Spyder Dealers to keep them in the air with out crashing?
    007James
    I wonder?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Imagine trusting any Spyder with wings, or if it was an Ultralight Aircraft? Rotax does build light Aircraft Engines, but how many Spyder Owners would trust Spyder Dealers to keep them in the air with out crashing?
    007James
    I flew ultralight aircraft in my younger life, both Rotax 447 and 503 engines. Best in the business at that time, and I still believe Rotax power-plants to be generally excellent. Any yes, I did stake my life on these simple 2 cycle engines. Now that was the most fun you can have with your cloths on! Of course I did all my own maintenance.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think anyone is questioning the technology. Just the service network. Would you trust your ultralight to an ATV shop?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Of course I did all my own maintenance.
    The point.

Spyder Garage

Well, bringing the subject closer to what we were talking about, I'm allegedly going to get my Spyder tomorrow, pending more BS from the service writer. He took time to call me late Friday, saying my work was done. July 2nd to July 26th to replace a water pump and handlebar left switch pack, parts received on the 18th. However, they are 90 miles one way, would close before I got there, and are closed Sunday and Monday. To add insult to injury, the service write says my bill is $1700. I had the 3000 mile service done for about $350 the rest is supposed to be warranty. He said his paperwork wasn't done, so I may have to fight that battle when I get there tomorrow. No wonder folks are quitting Can Am. I just thought Comcast Cable was awful!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Well, bringing the subject closer to what we were talking about, I'm allegedly going to get my Spyder tomorrow, pending more BS from the service writer. He took time to call me late Friday, saying my work was done. July 2nd to July 26th to replace a water pump and handlebar left switch pack, parts received on the 18th. However, they are 90 miles one way, would close before I got there, and are closed Sunday and Monday. To add insult to injury, the service write says my bill is $1700. I had the 3000 mile service done for about $350 the rest is supposed to be warranty. He said his paperwork wasn't done, so I may have to fight that battle when I get there tomorrow. No wonder folks are quitting Can Am. I just thought Comcast Cable was awful!
    For real?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    For real?
    Just what he said. This dealership isn't known for excellent service. I would drive farther for better service.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Just what he said. This dealership isn't known for excellent service. I would drive farther for better service.
    Call me cynical, but I question his motive for telling you that. Unfinished paperwork, is about as lame a reason as one could think of.

Spyder Garage

Having owned Kawasaki, Honda, Indian, and Harley, all three gave me some issues... Service department for each had some issues... Some of the time misunderstanding and other times trying to make more money... For all of them that I have dealt with, I massaged them a few times with A dozen doughnuts early morning. Have coffee and talk bull...
    I like to think that helped a little... Now I have my Spyder, living in Hawaii... No dealers here... Having a questionable dealer is better than not having a dealer... I chose my Spyder... Presently having DPS issues... If it gets worse I might be down for a few months.... It’s what I chose... for what ever reason anyone chooses to ride. Enjoy riding when You Can... Pick up another hobby when You cannot... Anything is fixable, some issues take longer than others... I Love My Spyder......
    2012 RTS SE5 , Spider Web Brake pedal Orbital blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CADRE View Post
    Having owned Kawasaki, Honda, Indian, and Harley, all three gave me some issues... Service department for each had some issues... Some of the time misunderstanding and other times trying to make more money... For all of them that I have dealt with, I massaged them a few times with A dozen doughnuts early morning. Have coffee and talk bull...
    I like to think that helped a little... Now I have my Spyder, living in Hawaii... No dealers here... Having a questionable dealer is better than not having a dealer... I chose my Spyder... Presently having DPS issues... If it gets worse I might be down for a few months.... It’s what I chose... for what ever reason anyone chooses to ride. Enjoy riding when You Can... Pick up another hobby when You cannot... Anything is fixable, some issues take longer than others... I Love My Spyder......
    I've owned multiple brands as well, put the most miles on an old Harley FLH and a newer Kawasaki Nomad 1600. Both had issues on the road, with both I found a dealership that put me back on the road in a day or two. One of the biggest reasons not to buy a Spyder, or any brand for that matter, is crappy dealer representation. I'm kind of trapped with the need for 3 wheels by an infirmity, and chose the Spyder in spite of knowing it was under-represented in dealerships. Big difference between under-representation and the poor service you can expect to receive at some of the dealers. The fact that my dealer had to order either one of the parts I had replaced speaks volumes about this dealership, as to not following the issues that actually affect the bikes reliability. You better bet that if I was the service or parts manager I'd keep the left switch pack, water pump, parking brake motor, wheel bearings, and front pulley in stock at all times, along with all the normal service items and anything with a TSB on it. Word of mouth goes a long way.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I've owned multiple brands as well, put the most miles on an old Harley FLH and a newer Kawasaki Nomad 1600. Both had issues on the road, with both I found a dealership that put me back on the road in a day or two. One of the biggest reasons not to buy a Spyder, or any brand for that matter, is crappy dealer representation. I'm kind of trapped with the need for 3 wheels by an infirmity, and chose the Spyder in spite of knowing it was under-represented in dealerships. Big difference between under-representation and the poor service you can expect to receive at some of the dealers. The fact that my dealer had to order either one of the parts I had replaced speaks volumes about this dealership, as to not following the issues that actually affect the bikes reliability. You better bet that if I was the service or parts manager I'd keep the left switch pack, water pump, parking brake motor, wheel bearings, and front pulley in stock at all times, along with all the normal service items and anything with a TSB on it. Word of mouth goes a long way.
    It ain't their call. It's the wo/man who has to finance inventory and parts stock you need to argue with. Besides, BRP wouldn't have enough to go round.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Cadre, you wrote,...”Now I have my Spyder, living in Hawaii... No dealers here... ”. You must feel worse than an Astronaut that just landed on the Moon with his Can-Am RT Limited and only the Tool Kit that came under the seat, and his iPad to access the Spyder Owner’s Manual online,.....just in case the 3 Wheeled Beast flips or burps a Code, and the Demon Limp Home Orange Dash Light blinds you before you can get your shades on!! If you don’t get a good enough signal to connect to the Internet to access Spydrlovers.com to ask Spyder Owners to trouble shoot your Codes, and make “ Try That” suggestions,....your SOL. HaHa. Owning a Spyder in Hawaii with out any Dealers is at least as bad as owning a Spyder on the Moon. At least, on the Moon, NASA will not worry whether your Warrantee has expired before deciding to help you, as BRP will do to you in Hawaii after your Warrantee expires. You will see Middle Finger Aloha Birds flashed at you from Canada! ( while you are holding your breath in Limp Home Mode waiting for a response from BRB.) 😇
    007James

Quote Originally Posted by CADRE View Post
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Gee whiz James, that's a bit hash. BRP are really strong on customer needs - your need to give them money for a trike. Then they're Whistling Dixie.

Noisy fuel pumps all over again with Ryker.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Swap me for a Harley!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Larry L, what have you decided?
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Ohio Blue Tip
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black