Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Done with Spyder

Started having trouble the first week in June (P0172) took it to the dealer checked a few things and reset the code
    a week later the same thing but it spent a week in the shop and that is how it has been the whole summer. They have
    changed out senors and the like but nothing seems to work, It has been in the shop for a week and was informed that
    it will be there for another week (August) so much for summer riding.
    I am not a wealthy man and have worked hard for everything I have, Eighteen thousand dollars for something that I cannot
    trust to ride five miles from home is not going to work. Now if I can find some fool to take it as a trade for something that runs.
    What a mistake, biggest POS I have ever owned.
    Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Oh by the way bought new in Aug. 2018 now has six thousand miles, miracle its made it this far.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post
    Started having trouble the first week in June (P0172) took it to the dealer checked a few things and reset the code
    a week later the same thing but it spent a week in the shop and that is how it has been the whole summer. They have
    changed out senors and the like but nothing seems to work, It has been in the shop for a week and was informed that
    I am not a wealthy man and have worked hard for everything I have, Eighteen thousand dollars for something that I cannot
    trust to ride five miles from home is not going to work. Now if I can find some fool to take it as a trade for something that runs.
    Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Oh by the way bought new in Aug. 2018 now has six thousand miles, miracle its made it this far.
    Sorry you are having this problem it s*cks ….. but IMHO, the problem could be the Dealers TECH people …. all things considered the level of Tech incompetency is mind boggling …… send Billy Bovine a PM directly, He's the smartest guy on the forum ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

A real shame. Spyders are not junk. But that is not to say yours is not. However, I agree with Blueknight911, it is much more likely that your dealership's ability to diagnose and correct problems is the 'Junk' you have run into. Still, a vehicle is a package which includes service. I understand.

If your Spyder had been what it was designed to be, I am pretty sure you would be singing its praises instead of its obituary. Sorry for your experience. I could have been so much better.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Larry, I am very sorry to hear your disappointments. But if its a 2018, it must be still under Warrantee, so it will EVENTUALLY get fixed, after your Dealer gets caught up on fixing Cash Customers. Most Dealers work on Warrantee work when their Cash Customers thin out, because they make very little, if any money on Warrantee work, because of lacking factory support. You will find that your $18,000 investment has already took a huge Dump, when you try to unload it. I suggest your buying another spare, and keep one in back up when the other one is held up in Service. That’s what I do. I have a 2016 RT Limited and a Harley Heritage. I like riding both of them, but I get much more tired riding the Harley 100 miles than the Spyder. I know its depressing to loose your Summer riding, after spending $18K, but I also have lost most of last Summer and this Summer because of front Sprocket Pulley failure on my RT, so the Harley had been my fill in. Loosing time on your Warrantee is not the only loss, as you are also loosing time on Depreciation, Insurance, Personal Property Taxes, and Interest, if its financed! Good Luck, on what ever you decide. Only we that have had problems sympathize with you. The fortunate Owners that have not had problems,....YET, ......will just write you off as a Complainer.
    007James

Goodbye SpyderCrap
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

P0172
    System to rich Bank 1
    Injection & fuel supply system
    Check fuel supply regulator

99.9% of the time it comes down to the techs working knowledge of the Spyder, and if communicating with BRP for support? and, he doesn't truly understand the Spyder he's likely giving them bad information. Which in turn takes them off course.

Hate to see you give up on it. But, only you know your threshold for Spyder pain.

Good luck.....whatever you do.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Goodbye SpyderCrap
    I found this on another thread here, it shouldn't be a difficult fix. I would contact BuRP as it seems your dealer is incompetent.

Code: P0172

Module: ECM

Description:Fuel correction reached the minimum limit, multiplicative

Cause: Any reason which will cause a rich condition under load, ex:
    Fuel pressure too high, Oil entering the intake system through the
    vacuum assist line, Canister purge valve stuck open.

Action: Inspect evap canister purge valve function. Perform EVAP Purge Valve
    Operational Test as described in the Fuel Tank and Fuel System section of the shop manual. If purge valve is replaced perform ECM first initialization using
    BUDS ECM/Setting screen. If ECM first initialization is performed GBPS initialization must be done as per Warranty Bulletin 2010-4 procedure.
    Check fuel pressure regulator.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...34-P0172-C006C
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Seriously. You need to get to a different dealer. Also contact BRP direct. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Do as Tango suggests. Write to brp.care@brp.com, tell them of your problem and the dealer's inability to fix it and ask them to open a case for you and contact your dealer. It is under warranty and BRP darn sure knows how to fix the problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A real shame. Spyders are not junk. But that is not to say yours is not. However, I agree with Blueknight911, it is much more likely that your dealership's ability to diagnose and correct problems is the 'Junk' you have run into. Still, a vehicle is a package which includes service. I understand.

If your Spyder had been what it was designed to be, I am pretty sure you would be singing its praises instead of its obituary. Sorry for your experience. I could have been so much better.
    I agree. Blame the dealership, not the bike. That said, if you can't get good prompt service for your bike, you may be happier with a Honda or Yamaha.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Mr. Larry,

My Spyder has been in the shop for 25 days today to fix something that probably takes about 6 hours of skilled labor. But in my location, I only have 2 dealers within a long distance. One is mediocre, the other poor. You get my drift.

I looked up dealers in the Emmetsburg, Iowa area (from your signature) and at least you have 2 Platinum rated dealers withing about 110 mile distance, one is only 57 miles from Emmetsburg. I would contact BRP cares, escalate it, and have BRP move your machine to a mores suitable location. JMHO only.

I think the Spyder is an excellent concept, but the small sub-assemblies seem to have sketchy quality control. I'd also give them 3 swipes at it, and if is the same malfunction, roll out the lemon law provided you have it in your state.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for bad dealer. See post #8 for a direct line to BRP. Start a case and see if that improves your situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. Larry,

My Spyder has been in the shop for 25 days today to fix something that probably takes about 6 hours of skilled labor. But in my location, I only have 2 dealers within a long distance. One is mediocre, the other poor. You get my drift.

I looked up dealers in the Emmetsburg, Iowa area (from your signature) and at least you have 2 Platinum rated dealers withing about 110 mile distance, one is only 57 miles from Emmetsburg. I would contact BRP cares, escalate it, and have BRP move your machine to a mores suitable location. JMHO only.

I think the Spyder is an excellent concept, but the small sub-assemblies seem to have sketchy quality control. I'd also give them 3 swipes at it, and if is the same malfunction, roll out the lemon law provided you have it in your state.
    Dealer RATINGS have been discussed her for about 8 years …. the consensus is … the rating is determined by SALES not SERVICE ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Whether a dealer is rated Platinum or Silver doesn't hold water either.

Just because a tech has been "trained" doesn't mean he/she learned anything. Or, that they're a critical thinker or give a rats patootie.

It's a crap shoot at best, and the odds that you'll shoot snake eyes and lose A LOT OF CASH(if out of warranty) is extremely HIGH.

At one time my dealer had a very competent tech and I didn't mind spending the money. He left because the dealer was giving him a raw deal. His replacement was a clown.

At this point. I have zero faith in dealers and techs. I'm back to trusting myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dealer RATINGS have been discussed her for about 8 years …. the consensus is … the rating is determined by SALES not SERVICE ….. Mike
    Mr. Mike,

Uncorrupted ratings from customers, like word of mouth, are actually pretty good. People can compare stuff, like my case. Bike in on the 2nd, parts arrive on the 18th, they called me too late to get it today on the 27th. so the review would be " Is 9 days too long with parts in hand to replace a water pump and left switch pack?". Once enough people compared notes, a true and clear picture would evolve.

A true dealer rating story. A long time ago I went into the local Harley shop. At this time I was still a Harley guy. I had cash in hand to buy a Roadking, minus about $1000. Bike MSRP was $17,800, and they offered it to me at $19,500. If figured $1700 fees wasn't too bad, out the door. The sales worm explained to me that was the before tax price, then went on the say they sold at MSRP plus 15%. I told them "hell no you don't" and took my money and bought a Ford pickup which I drove for the next 15 years. I told this story to anyone who would listen, and further spread the word that if you were riding your Harley through my home town, and it broke down to go into the Harley dealer and borrow the phone to rent a truck to haul your broke bike elsewhere. That stuff works, and eventually they either mend their ways or it costs them a bunch of money. I never bought another Harley after that.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard the same sob story for every make and model of motorcycle there is. Not to say you did not get a lemon but I am on my 3rd spyder they just keep making them better an better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I have heard the same sob story for every make and model of motorcycle there is. Not to say you did not get a lemon but I am on my 3rd spyder they just keep making them better an better.
    https://www.motorcycle.com/top10/the...mpanies.html/2

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm

Apparently not, looks like you've also had a bout with a water pump....
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Larry,

Your experience is not too dissimilar to mine. I bought a new 2017 RT Ltd and was at the point of getting rid of it. Issues with dangerous handling, steering itself all over the road, VSS applying the brakes at stupid times. That was for the 1st 15000km's. I elected to take it a different dealership that many other Spyder riders suggest for its 15000km service. IN one day the tech/mechanic addressed every issue the RTL had, and sat down to explain why these issues where happening. He never once criticized the original dealership, and instead kept apologizing for the state the bike was in.

In the 14000 kms I have clocked in 8 months, I have had zero issues with the bike, and can say I finally can trust the bike.

I learnt that the dealership I was using had little understanding of things like Buds (the diagnostic tool), and had lost the ability to think what other possibilities could cause an issue.

The RTL would weave so bad it would intrude in the neighboring lanes, and I was constantly told it was me because BUDS isn't seeing an issue. I replied F.F.S. "what about good old fashioned troubleshooting looking for a bent tie rod or a failed ball joint, dodgy wheel bearing.. will BUDs report these?" They confessed no, it spent 32 days in the workshop and they found a stuffed ball joint.

I know it can be a frustrating problem with lots of stress, but as others have suggested, ask around to see who is recommended, and get onto BRP. These are their Factory Trained Mechanics and sometimes BRP have no idea how bad some are.

Soap Box back in cupboard
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. Mike,

Uncorrupted ratings from customers, like word of mouth, are actually pretty good. People can compare stuff, like my case. Bike in on the 2nd, parts arrive on the 18th, they called me too late to get it today on the 27th. so the review would be " Is 9 days too long with parts in hand to replace a water pump and left switch pack?". Once enough people compared notes, a true and clear picture would evolve.
    …. The Dealer RATING is issued by ….. BRP … not customers, and this is what I stated, I also would rather here from owners ….. Mike
    A true dealer rating story. A long time ago I went into the local Harley shop. At this time I was still a Harley guy. I had cash in hand to buy a Roadking, minus about $1000. Bike MSRP was $17,800, and they offered it to me at $19,500. If figured $1700 fees wasn't too bad, out the door. The sales worm explained to me that was the before tax price, then went on the say they sold at MSRP plus 15%. I told them "hell no you don't" and took my money and bought a Ford pickup which I drove for the next 15 years. I told this story to anyone who would listen, and further spread the word that if you were riding your Harley through my home town, and it broke down to go into the Harley dealer and borrow the phone to rent a truck to haul your broke bike elsewhere. That stuff works, and eventually they either mend their ways or it costs them a bunch of money. I never bought another Harley after that.
    … My answer in BLUE above ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Isn't part of the problem that there are no Can-Am only dealers? I know where I am there are only "powersports" dealers who also carry other brands, not to mention jet skis, atv's and off road vehicles. If this was say a Honda, I would think the dealer would be more interested in a getting the correct parts and knowledge to fix the bike. Also if they wanted to keep the customer happy (for a bike that has been waiting this long to be fixed) they would have a loaner or demo bike on hand. I know the dealers I went to had less knowledge than I had and it seemed like the Spyder was just something they had to have on the floor to complete their selection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Isn't part of the problem that there are no Can-Am only dealers? I know where I am there are only "powersports" dealers who also carry other brands, not to mention jet skis, atv's and off road vehicles. If this was say a Honda, I would think the dealer would be more interested in a getting the correct parts and knowledge to fix the bike. Also if they wanted to keep the customer happy (for a bike that has been waiting this long to be fixed) they would have a loaner or demo bike on hand. I know the dealers I went to had less knowledge than I had and it seemed like the Spyder was just something they had to have on the floor to complete their selection.
    And/or keep a competitor from having Spyder's.

The stand alone concept like Polaris insists upon for their Indian brand seems to be working out well in multiple brand dealerships and service departments.

Spyder Garage

Done with dealer unless it is a serious warranty problem. Not done with Spyder. Bought a new bike so I didn't need to wrench on it and found out the Can Am dealers are worse than the Harley dealers. Guess I will wrench until I ain't able to ride no more. Did make some progress with the new bike........... at least now I am not trying to keep a bike with 350,000 miles on it running right.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

In my neighborhood, I can choose between two dealers. There is the really slow one that is usually competent (when their ONE tech is not on vacation). But every single time there is a problem the bike is in the shop for 3 weeks to a month..... or longer. The other option is to go to the large national franchise dealer. I tried them twice for different problems. Each time the bike was not repaired. They were arrogant telling me they know what they are doing and I didn't know anything. Willing to take my money for doing nothing..... The lack of a good service dealer network has been eye-opening for me. I found out about this only after purchasing my Spyder. I love my Spyder. I have put 30,000 miles on it in the last couple of years. But they have not been trouble free. Those of you who are lucky enough to have a good, skilled and caring dealer for your servicing are fortunate. Way too many of us don't. And that's the reason my Spyder will be the last BRP product I will invest in. Bottom line for me..... It is the incompetent service network and lack of timely parts availability that is driving me away from the brand. Nothing to do with the product itself..... Jim

I want to add that I previously owned a BRP Outlander ATV which I sold in favor of buying a new BRP Commander side-by-side. I did what most of us do and tweaked both of those with farkles and upgraded parts. I never had any reliability problems with either of these. There was never any delay in getting service or parts. But then there are many independent shops and parts suppliers I could choose to deal with. The Spyder is apparently so unique and BRP so secretive/expensive with their propriety information that there are virtually no independent shops to turn to for Spyder service. I do not, for a minute, believe that this is not by design. BRP has created a product and Maintained a monopoly on its' service and parts distribution, much to our detriment and expense.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Does Iowa have a Lemon Law? Most states do. The South Carolina law is designed for situations like yours. Here's an example.

If a problem occurs within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles and the dealer is given a reasonable time to fix it and the problem occurs two more times. The 2nd two times does not have to be withing the 12 month/12,000 period. The Lemon Law can then be enacted. The dealer must replace the vehicle or refund the purchase price.

Do some investigating in Iowa.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

If Iowa has a "Lemon Law" you can probably get the bike replaced since it has spent so much time in the shop. Check it out, if nothing else a "Lemon Law" complaint will get Can AM's attention very quickly. edit: I did a quick search, Iowa HAS a Lemon Law, but it may or may not cover a Spyder. Check with a lawyer, they will usually give you a initial consultation for free.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    In my neighborhood, I can choose between two dealers. There is the really slow one that is usually competent (when their ONE tech is not on vacation). But every single time there is a problem the bike is in the shop for 3 weeks to a month..... or longer. The other option is to go to the large national franchise dealer. I tried them twice for different problems. Each time the bike was not repaired. They were arrogant telling me they know what they are doing and I didn't know anything. Willing to take my money for doing nothing..... The lack of a good service dealer network has been eye-opening for me. I found out about this only after purchasing my Spyder. I love my Spyder. I have put 30,000 miles on it in the last couple of years. But they have not been trouble free. Those of you who are lucky enough to have a good, skilled and caring dealer for your servicing are fortunate. Way too many of us don't. And that's the reason my Spyder will be the last BRP product I will invest in. Bottom line for me..... It is the incompetent service network and lack of timely parts availability that is driving me away from the brand. Nothing to do with the product itself..... Jim
    This is kind of what I'm talking about, somewhat (only somewhat) tongue in cheek about a dealer ratings sticky. Kind of like Angies List, or those contractor ratings websites. In my opinion, the sales department in the dealership is a moot point, because if you bought the thing there the deal must have been good enough. For my take, the service department and parts department are what counts, with service making up about 90% of customer satisfaction, and parts making up the other 10% based on parts availability. I would be willing to go on record about how my dealer performed, as I have done in past posts. I think mine is mediocre to fair based on the amount of time, and some BS I recently had to put up with from the service writer. I'd be willing to ride farther to get better service. I do believe that how poorly they operate has an availability factor, meaning less competition may allow them to perform poorly and still make money.
    h0gr1der