Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post
    Ohio Blue Tip
    Old school

s-l300.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Started having trouble the first week in June (P0172) took it to the dealer checked a few things and reset the code
    a week later the same thing but it spent a week in the shop and that is how it has been the whole summer. They have
    changed out senors and the like but nothing seems to work, It has been in the shop for a week and was informed that
    it will be there for another week (August) so much for summer riding.
    I am not a wealthy man and have worked hard for everything I have, Eighteen thousand dollars for something that I cannot
    trust to ride five miles from home is not going to work. Now if I can find some fool to take it as a trade for something that runs.
    What a mistake, biggest POS I have ever owned.
    Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Oh by the way bought new in Aug. 2018 now has six thousand miles, miracle its made it this far.
    This is a familiar scenario for me, 2014 RTS. Dealer tech, who is quite good, went through the usual fuel cap, sensors, purge valve, etc. Reset code p0172 several times only to have the code reappear with check engine light after a few hundred miles. In the end the factory BRP sent fixtures to check and adjust cam timing which was found to be out of spec. Been 2000 miles since and problem has never reappeared. Finally fixed. Of course I was out of my Spyder for 8-10 weeks by the time it was finally fixed. One nagging concern is why the problem appeared after 4500 miles - thus could the timing change again at some point?? My recommendation is to have them check with BRP about cam timing.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have been a machinist for forty years have ran just about every machine you could imagine, had to live +/- .001 my whole life so even if they fix it it will never be the same,
    in my world it would have a NFG tag on it.
    Ran my own machine shop for twenty years ( I Like MAZAK ) if there were any problems at all my customers were up my arse til I took care of the problem, Big corporations
    like BRP can hide behind their size and tell folks like me to go pound sand, in the perfect world I want what I paid for just like their ads say or my money back.
    If only Honda made spyders.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

in the perfect world I want what I paid for just like their ads say or my money back.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Started having trouble the first week in June (P0172) took it to the dealer checked a few things and reset the code
    a week later the same thing but it spent a week in the shop and that is how it has been the whole summer. They have
    changed out senors and the like but nothing seems to work, It has been in the shop for a week and was informed that
    it will be there for another week (August) so much for summer riding.
    I am not a wealthy man and have worked hard for everything I have, Eighteen thousand dollars for something that I cannot
    trust to ride five miles from home is not going to work. Now if I can find some fool to take it as a trade for something that runs.
    What a mistake, biggest POS I have ever owned.
    Goodbye SpyderCrap
    Oh by the way bought new in Aug. 2018 now has six thousand miles, miracle its made it this far.
    Still no spyder, wants me to trade. Why would I spend more money when BRP didn't deliver the first time. Will compensate for the lost time, what is a summer worth?
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Still no spyder, wants me to trade. Why would I spend more money when BRP didn't deliver the first time. Will compensate for the lost time, what is a summer worth?
    I know your frustration. I went through it for over 2 years. December 2015 to April 2018. So long, that my BEST warranty ran out. So much for that purchase. If you're not willing to slog it out, and perhaps spend a lot of cash, plus deal with the frustration and incompetency of both BRP(they failed to identify what had been long known to cause the problem) and a clueless tech. It may be best to end it now?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

See post 9. BRP obviously has a short memory.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=cam+timing
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    ... I went through it for over 2 years. December 2015 to April 2018. So long, that my BEST warranty ran out. So much for that purchase. ...
    If you reported the defect during the warranty period and they didn't fix it properly, you're still under warranty until it IS fixed properly. The FTC says, "if you reported a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product wasn't fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed." https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0252-warranties

Depending on your situation, you may still be entitled to fight with BRP but it would depend on when you last reported the recurrence of the problem to them and what they said. Let's say you brought the Spyder in to be "fixed" and you left thinking it was fixed, but a week later the same problem occurred. You bring the Spyder back in and they say, "Sorry, your warranty expired yesterday." That's legally wrong, and even if you paid for the repair then, you should be entitled to get your money back now. OTOH, if your Spyder was working right in April 2018 and you never reported the recurrence of the problem to them until MUCH later, it would be very difficult to prove their last repair wasn't done properly since things DO break on their own sometimes.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    If you reported the defect during the warranty period and they didn't fix it properly, you're still under warranty until it IS fixed properly. The FTC says, "if you reported a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product wasn't fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed." https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0252-warranties

Depending on your situation, you may still be entitled to fight with BRP but it would depend on when you last reported the problem to them and what they said. Let's say you brought the Spyder in to be "fixed" and you left thinking it was fixed, but a week later the same problem occurred. You bring the Spyder back in and they say, "Sorry, your warranty expired yesterday." That's legally wrong, and even if you paid for the repair, you should be entitled to get your money back. OTOH, if your Spyder was working right the last time they worked on it in April 2018 and you never reported the recurrence of the problem up to now, it would be very difficult to prove the last repair wasn't done properly since things DO break on their own sometimes.
    Trust me on this. I left no stone unturned. I had documentation out the kazoo, for every dealer visit and everything they documented and verbalized to me. In the end, the dealer and BRP didn't give one rats azz. Just the facts.

To this day, I have all the events well documented.

Sometimes things go bad....this was one of those times.

Regrettably, it ended a 50 year relationship with my dealer and brought me to 1 and done with Spyder ownership.

The Spyder is a great machine but, if you get one that happens to be......uh, troubled. At some point the only one who cares.........is you.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Just got my 2018 F3 LTD back from the dealer for the second time for the po172 code.The dealer inform me that BRP is coming out with a TSB reflash for the problem the parameters in the Ecu need to be changed.Sometime mid September to late September he said I should be getting a letter, mean while they said to run 87 octane gas. But no problem to drive it .