Spyder Garage

Default HELP! Parking brake stays on

I have had the parking brake warning light fail to go off but the brakes have been released. The dealer said the snsor was out of adjustment. NOW THE BRAKE STAY ON AND I CAN'T MOVE THE BIKE! Of course this happens three days before a planned 3500 mile ride through the Rockies.
    Is there a way to manually release the parking brake so I can take it to a dealer when they open???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Is it your F3?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

YES. It's a 2017 F# Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you

Spyder Garage

I've read the post from the link above, but it references a 12mm wrench to disconnect the parking brake. I can't find anything 12mm on my parking brake to disconnect. I have a 2019 F3 base model. I've attached a picture of my parking brake. Can someone tell me how to manually release this?

Parking Brake.jpg

Spyder Garage

If you can get the cover off of the cable area then you will see the nut for the 12mm to go on and you will be able to release the brakes. Once you release the nut you can slide the cable out of the holder and the brakes should release. As long as the cable can stay on the end of the cable holder not where the nut is, then you should be good. You would still need to see a dealer but at least you will be able to drive the bike if needed. Possibly the brake will lock and inlock while out of the cable holder like mine was able to do. Mine is a 2018 RTL. I hope I helped.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyray View Post
    If you can get the cover off of the cable area then you will see the nut for the 12mm to go on and you will be able to release the brakes. Once you release the nut you can slide the cable out of the holder and the brakes should release. As long as the cable can stay on the end of the cable holder not where the nut is, then you should be good. You would still need to see a dealer but at least you will be able to drive the bike if needed. Possibly the brake will lock and inlock while out of the cable holder like mine was able to do. Mine is a 2018 RTL. I hope I helped.
    Thanks Daddyray. Figured it out. I haven't experienced the problem (knock on wood), but I wanted to be prepared if I did. Added a 12mm wrench, an adjustable wrench and T25 to my kit.

Spyder Garage

Crap. 2018 rt limited. Think I lost my reply. I recently had this happen. Noticed the aft nut was loose and cable backing out of u-shaped arm. Repositioned cable back in and tightened nut. Had to restart twice, but brake operated normally. I just replicated this condition by loosening nut and pulling cable partially out of arm. Re-did steps to secure and restarted. Normal again. Maybe a bit of light thread lock would help. I did note that even with cable loose and out of it’s secure position, brake would not release. Anyway, would check that nuts are tightened before a long ride. Not sure if this is the cause, but might play with it again this weekend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBuckeye View Post
    Crap. 2018 rt limited. Think I lost my reply. I recently had this happen. Noticed the aft nut was loose and cable backing out of u-shaped arm. Repositioned cable back in and tightened nut. Had to restart twice, but brake operated normally. I just replicated this condition by loosening nut and pulling cable partially out of arm. Re-did steps to secure and restarted. Normal again. Maybe a bit of light thread lock would help. I did note that even with cable loose and out of it’s secure position, brake would not release. Anyway, would check that nuts are tightened before a long ride. Not sure if this is the cause, but might play with it again this weekend.
    Whelp, that wasn’t it. I just turned on key and after pressing park brake on, brake light was flashing, but brake was released. Loosened nut and release cable from it’s holder arm. Played with pressing and it actuated. Right now, it’s released with cable out. I have a set of compact wheel chocks (harbor freight). I’ll ride to dealer tomorrow and they can play with it. During my messing around, I had it secured and brake on, but wouldn’t release. I was able to loosen that aft nut and release the tension. Sure is a funny little gizmo. Just turned key on and brake light is solid, but not actuated.