Thread: AK moose

Spyder Garage

Default AK moose

Hey ARtraveler, ever have this problem?

https://www.wimp.com/alaskans-turn-h...-for-surprise/

Spyder Garage

Thank you Cavman. AK and Moose go hand in hand. Anchorage has an "urban" Moose population. Not uncommon to see them standing in the middle of an intersection during rush hour. They also like to walk into open doors of businesses and inspect the lobbies.

I lived more in the country. We had a family of them that came to visit my property on a regular basis. I have posted pictures of the encounters. They are in my photo albums. Had the family of two and three bed down in my backyard several times. Come fall (early September) the family would come and harvest the crab apples from my three trees in the driveway. Always neat to see them having a munch fest. I do miss the Moose.

Fast forward to our new place in Arkansas. We have a resident Peacock that has lived in the neighborhood for over five years. My property is surrounded by working farms on all four sides. The peacock makes daily rounds between three of the four. It likes to spend the nights in one of our trees in the backyard. In the morning, it comes down from the tree, proudly displays his feathers, and does a nar ne nar dance for us.

Of late, he has also been spending most of his days here too. Linda likes to talk with him, and they seem to get along well. The Peacock is not afraid of human contact, to a point. He comes as close as 10 feet sometimes when we are sitting out on the front porch. He struts back and forth across the lawn looking for bugs to eat. We are enjoying our new "friend."

For those that may like to see more Moose pictures...here is a link to one of my photo albums.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=3996

For those that do not know...a click on any album picture will open it to full screen size. There is also a forward to next picture button at the top of each picture.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to some of the photos I took while in Alaska back in August of 2008. I went there for vacation and firearms training at Front Sight’s facility up there.

https://pbase.com/astrodiver/alaska

Spyder Garage

Fantastic photos. You captured the good stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice photos, but when rounding a corner and coming face to face with a red eyed bull during rut season, reverse rather than photos is the best choice to take. I witnessed a jeep after the driver tried to drive around a cantankerous bull in the roadway during the rut. I believe the jeep was due of a new grill/radiator and passenger door. Be careful, these guys take no prisoners during that time of the year.

Spyder Garage

Is that a cow and her calf?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Is that a cow and her calf?
    Yes. It was a family of three. The other calf was hit by a car on our road and had to be shot by a trooper (dispatched). They have salvage here, and the moose calf carcass was hauled off to be distributed to food programs.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-28-2019 at 05:52 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Nice photos, but when rounding a corner and coming face to face with a red eyed bull during rut season, reverse rather than photos is the best choice to take. I witnessed a jeep after the driver tried to drive around a cantankerous bull in the roadway during the rut. I believe the jeep was due of a new grill/radiator and passenger door. Be careful, these guys take no prisoners during that time of the year.
    I've heard that in years past the only animal a logging truck lost a battle with was a moose.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes. It was a family of three. The other calf was hit by a car on our road and had to be shot by a trooper (dispatched). They have salvage here, and the moose calf carcass was hauled off to be distributed to food programs.
    Funny you should mention that. Washington state has a similar law:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/roadkill-salvage
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've heard that in years past the only animal a logging truck lost a battle with was a moose.
    Yep, only people who live with these creatures or hunt them know how truly dangerous they can be. Well, I guess people who have been injured by these beasts know too.