Spyder Garage

Default ST-S - broke the mirror mount

Hello,

I have a 2014 ST-S.

So, in a moment of clumsiness, I managed to hook my mirror with my messenger bag when opening my frunk and I broke the mount where the mirror attaches to the bike. It was only the top mount, so the mirror is still hanging on with the other two mounts on the bottom, but now it is unstable and bounces a lot when I ride. It isn't the mirror itself that is broken, but where the metal pin attaches to the plastic behind the dash. Where the pin used to attach there is now a hole. I am guessing the plastic piece broke and fell inside somewhere.

Has anyone else ever had this happen, and if so, is there an easy fix? I have looked online at some parts places and it seems that there is a possibility that I might have to buy the entire console support, but it would require me to fully disassemble the top of the bike to get it out. The part itself is actually cheaper than I expected, but it does look like a hefty installation. I am attaching a picture of the breakout drawing of the console area, with my notes. I am hoping it is just part 507 that I need and not part 405. I will draw a circle where I busted it. The pin that is not attached now is the one labeled 458. I am pretty certain that it hooks only to part 507.

The site I got the image from is the BRP Parts Catalog. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...ts-iframe.html The section is Body and Accessories Windshield.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Actually ya I have broken one first time I tried removing mirrors. It's only 3 little screws, the replacement will be just as flimsy so caution there. https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ies-windshield part 507 should be it. As far as what broke & fell inside, will probably just be lost the the "Void" good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I too have broken this piece (left side) on my ST. I had both sides removed last month to do some service work.
    I removed to upper tupperware to gain access to the plate 507. Its time consuming but not too difficult.
    Use the parts diagram to find all the tupperware screws to get the upper tupperware panel off.
    In my case the turn signal wire are routed thru the panel. Make sure the spring clips are properly mounted.
    I had one spring clip push out of its mounting point upon reassembly.
    Good Luck,
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I have had to replace both sides at least once each. That plastic bracket is the weak point of the mirror attachment system. While the two lowest pins snap into their respective holes with the help of two metal “clips”, the top slot is all plastic and consists of only 3 small tabs. Doesn’t take much to snap one off.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I too have broken this piece (left side) on my ST. I had both sides removed last month to do some service work.
    I removed to upper tupperware to gain access to the plate 507. Its time consuming but not too difficult.
    Use the parts diagram to find all the tupperware screws to get the upper tupperware panel off.
    Good Luck,
    Thx for that, FYI mine was replace by dealer not DIY so I may be wrong about just 3 screws srz & mine is a '13 maybe some differences there.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I've had both mirrors become "disconnected" at the lower mount point, due to some rough roads.
    So far nothing seems broken, and the mirrors usually pop back on pretty easily, though I did have trouble with left side recently and went to the dealer and the tech spent about 10 minutes getting it back on.

Is there NO alternative or replacement available, e.g. Magic Mirrors, since it may take some time to repair all the NJ potholes?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the rhs mount on my STS. I keep mine in the barn at my folk’s place for now while I’m trying to sell it. Apparently the we’re trying to put their pontoon boat in there and clipped the mirror, knocking it off. When trying to get it back on I saw the tabs in the top hole where that pegs goes were broken off. I had the most free a new plate , fortunately it cost just under 18 bucks for a new plate.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ST Mirror Removal and Replacement

Default ST Mirror Removal and Replacement

Here is info about the ST mirrors that I have collected over time. See the italics near the bottom of the post.

Mirror Removal on ST
    I took the left mirror off yesterday. What a pain in the butt. It really isn't that bad except the service manual instructions are just plain wrong.

The first step of removing the 2 allen head screws in the deflector. Remove deflector.
    Remove the bottom plastic cover.
    Remove the torx screw holding the top plastic cover and remove the cover.
    Next service manual instructions is to disconnect the signal light wire. That is wrong that is 2 steps too early and can't be done yet.
    The service manual says to push the mirror rearward well that's wrong. You need to lift the outside of the mirror to release the bottom 2 pins from the spring loaded snaps.
    When the bottom 2 pins are free lift the whole mirror assembly up to release the top pin.
    After mirror assembly is loose disconnect the signal light wire.
    Remove the base mounting plate by removing the 4 allen head screws.

Yup the manual is way wrong.
    After you remove the deflector, the bottom and top covers... give the mirror a sharp rap straight up. Hit it from the bottom about 2-3 inches out to get some leverage. It will 'bust' loose the two bottom pins from the wire spring type sockets. It will indeed sound like its broken. Then nudge it up a bit more to release the top pin.

When you replace it,
    1. slide the top down into the 'V' shaped slot
    2. then a firm press in on the bottom will snap the two bottom pins into the spring sockets.

I put anti-seize on the two spring sockets (a tip from Spyderpops - Harvey) which helps them slide in and seems to make removal a bit easier. Did this on the RT mirrors and it made their removal much smoother.

Hope this helps
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Grandson broke the mirror mount when playing around the Spyder. I was about to remove all the tupperware on the left side until I read the above posts. Thanks all for the posts as they saved me a lot of time. I was also pleasantly surprised the item was in stock in Sydney and the cost was not exorbitant, $42.22 Aus.
    Another good example of the value of this forum!
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Grandson broke the mirror mount when playing around the Spyder. I was about to remove all the tupperware on the left side until I read the above posts. Thanks all for the posts as they saved me a lot of time. I was also pleasantly surprised the item was in stock in Sydney and the cost was not exorbitant, $42.22 Aus.
    Another good example of the value of this forum!
    Glad to see you got it fixed so cheap. These forums are invaluable for this.

We lost Cheapcycleparts recently, so not sure where I am going to go to get parts now. I also see you have the exact same year/model/color as me. This was my favorite color scheme of all of the Spyders, I hope they bring it back with some of the newer ones when I decide to upgrade to a new model.
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Lock Bolts

Check out the mirror lock bolts that LaMonster offers.
    Watch the install video for the assembly details.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamo...-mirror-locks/

The bolts for the RT/ST also fit the F3 for any year after 2013.
    I repaired the #507 plate on the F3 by epoxying the LaMonster bolt in place of the broken bit of the 507 plate.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Brilliant! thanks David
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac