Spyder Garage

Default Rear Fender Removal

I have a pair of Custom Dynamics LED Brightsides to replace the reflectors on either side of the bikes rear frame.

The instructions indicate I am to run the wires up the frame and rear strut forward then up under the under-tail panel to gain access to the plate light panel which is back towards the end of the seat.

I am not crazy about the idea. It seems it'd be easier to just run the wires about a foot +/- to the license plate light wiring since the Brightsides will be running lights only. I called Custom Dynamics, and they said it should work fine.

So, I have all four bolts out of the top of the fender and the two bolts holding the license plate.

I assumed the fender should come right off. It does not, and it seems something else is holding it. But, I cannot find anything.

I know some panels and both side mirrors require a bit of force to remove, but I did not want to put too much force trying to remove the rear panel without some suggestions.

Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks ya'll!
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are screws under that top cover panel. remove the cover panel and you will see 3 screws. There are more on the sides. But all you need is enough room to run the wires

Spyder Garage

I forgot to add something. Sorry... While trying to remove the rear fender, I also removed the screw holding the reflector that is over the license plate bulb. I have already removed the top four screws/bolts and the two holding the license plate.

@trikermutha I apologize, but I might be misunderstanding your suggestion when you say 'top cover panel'. Are you referring to the rear fender as the top cover?

Spyder Garage

I'm using the following two as references...

1. Pics from a seller on ebay selling a rear fender. I don't notice anything that i have not already removed.
    2. Body parts for my bike. And the same, I'm sure I'm just missing something.
    2a. Body parts #413 and #306 seem to be the only two that go together with the four bolts...everything else is either for another country or mounted in a way I do not see how it's keeping me from pulling the fender off.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-25-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add body part numbers for reference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    I forgot to add something. Sorry... While trying to remove the rear fender, I also removed the screw holding the reflector that is over the license plate bulb. I have already removed the top four screws/bolts and the two holding the license plate.

@trikermutha I apologize, but I might be misunderstanding your suggestion when you say 'top cover panel'. Are you referring to the rear fender as the top cover?
    I am sorry..I was referring to a RT not yours as I didn't not know it was a ST you were referring too

Spyder Garage

@trikermutha...it's not problem at all. I really appreciate the feedback. I've been trying to remind myself to put "Concerning my 2014 ST-S SE5" at the beginning of my posts...and I forgot.

Spyder Garage

I am looking at my ST right now. There are 4 bolts on the fender itself. 2 more on the license plate bracket and two more behind the tail reflector assembly. I recall the job being a PITA.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

@Arnie R -- Your recollection is spot on...so far, this has been. It'll be worth it if I can complete my task like the other 'fun' add-on's and replacements (farkles).

I see the two extra nuts. i'm thinking the bolts are inside the lighting system box...maybe.

So, just to verify...if i take those two nuts off, then the fender should come off? I hate to assume, but it seems like those two last nuts are the culprits holding me back.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-25-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Arnie R

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you think you’re having fun with the fender, just wait till you have a headlight go out.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

@SpyderAnn01 - Replacing the headlights with LED's was one of those other fun times. My hands couldn't fit without much more fun and less skin, so Mom didn't mind stopping over with her tiny hands to help so wouldn't have to take more tupperware off the bike. Successful...and of course, she made fun of me. You'd had to have been there.

Spyder Garage

If I recall correctly, there are two small studs that are attached to the back of the license plate unit. removing those two small nuts should allow it to come free. I also recollect that the wiring harness for the license plate light is very short and does not give you much room to splice in any other wires. It can be done, but probably with a lot of swears words.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Yep...whose were the culprits. The license plate light housing has those two small screws which go through the fender frame which attaches to the bike frame. I removed those two and the fender came right off.

I finally was able to remove the rear fender, replace the both side frame reflectors with LED's and ran the wires from the LED's to the license plate wiring inside the housing instead of tapping into that thick wire. The LED's came with some posi-tap connectors which makes it easy to connect the wires.

rear-reflector-led.jpg to this -> 20190726_233242_b.jpg

And, of course ya'll are so right about this...a few words, busted finger and sore back from lying on the concrete garage floor...hell, now I know why there are no videos on how to remove it...it is because by time you are partially through it, the last thing you need is a rated R how-to video due to language...LOL

I wish I would've taken pictures at least to share with the forum, but i'm doing good and feel good completing the job and not "half-assing" it.

So, to summarize...in order to remove the rear fender on my 2014 ST-S SE5 (and possibly other models), you need to remove the four bolts on top, the two holding the license plate and the two nuts holding the license plate light housing unit. Those two nuts are behind and between the rear tire and fender frame inline with the license plate light housing.

I appreciate the input!!!
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-26-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: forgot to thank everyone

Spyder Garage

nice look
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hey, I appreciate the final tip for my project. Now all of my factory reflectors have been replaced with LED's.