Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
FWIW, I just had the dealer do a laser alignment. The results are that alignment is spot on, and toe-in is on spec. Yet the squirrely handling persists.

And another dealer data point: it took me two months to line up this appointment. Two months!!!
Mr. Baxter,

I just gave away a set of almost brand new Kenda take-off because I couldn't get one of the fronts to balance. In removing them I noticed the sidewall and tread area to be flimsy compared to the Vredesteins I put on. Lo and behold, my handling got better immediately thereafter. FWIW, the rear Kenda didn't make as much of a difference as the fronts. Remain persistent, find a dealer that gives outstanding service, and the Spyder becomes a whole different experience.

The rest of the story; I just got my Spyder back after a 29 day warranty repair hostage situation. Had them do the 3000 mile service at 1960 miles because time and distance (they're 90 miles one way). Long story short, they did a fairly good job with all the usual caveats.

Minuses- A few missing washers on the bolts against the paint. Time it took to get parts (why not have one of each item that has a TSB, like the left handlebar switch pack), time it took to install parts (9 days after the parts arrived, they were done). Coolant was low. Belt came back too tight, vibration was apparent. Dealer reported finding belt "way out of spec" so he tightened to 950 Hz, whatever that is. Measured 200 lbs in the air, just slightly under that on the ground. Belt was so tight it was rubbing the outside flange at the front. Right now I'm just finishing up re-tensioning the belt and re-aligning the rear wheel.

Pluses- No broken tabs that I found. No missing fasteners. No damage to bike. they honored my request to lower the axle torque because I have never seize on the threads, and put the split pin back in like I had it because I don't bend it over, just spread it slightly and shorten it.

So that's what I consider an honest opinion on my dealer. I will use them for warranty repair. I'll probably do the rest myself and save the receipts.