Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RT Service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree with 2dogs, I can't see anything wrong with posting a good experience or a bad experience with dealer. Try and post the facts without color and let the reader decide how to digest it. Look, the dealer doesn't care one way or the other, he's gonna get more shop business than he can handle no matter what.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Would you not want to be warned of a dangerous curve ahead? I just don't understand why speaking out about poor customer service is offensive to some. I would be willing to meet in the middle and start a rating system from the top down. Rate the best dealers first and leave the worst to fall to the bottom or no mention at all.
    I think it would be hard to compare apples to apples. You'd have to have ratings categories.

For instance (Sales), my dealer did good in sales, good price and pleasant experience, (Service), the service department seems good, no broken tabs, etc., (Integrity) BUT... In my estimation they have offered to screw me twice on aftermarket installations, once quoting ± $1200 labor to install an ISCI handbrake (± $2700 total), and once quoting about 4 hours labor to install a Baja Ron sway bar, which they can't get. (Efficiency) Another item is repair time. Although they seem to do good work, my new RTL is now in day 25 to replace a water pump and left handlebar switch pack with no end in sight yet.

So with all that said, how do you rate my dealer. (Availability) By the way, it's the only credible dealer in the state. The other dealer lost me when they said they wouldn't work on anything not purchased there. That counts a lot! Scarcity is a big factor in how much BS the dealers can dish out.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I think it would be hard to compare apples to apples. You'd have to have ratings categories.

For instance (Sales), my dealer did good in sales, good price and pleasant experience, (Service), the service department seems good, no broken tabs, etc., (Integrity) BUT... In my estimation they have offered to screw me twice on aftermarket installations, once quoting ± $1200 labor to install an ISCI handbrake (± $2700 total), and once quoting about 4 hours labor to install a Baja Ron sway bar, which they can't get. (Efficiency) Another item is repair time. Although they seem to do good work, my new RTL is now in day 25 to replace a water pump and left handlebar switch pack with no end in sight yet.

So with all that said, how do you rate my dealer. (Availability) By the way, it's the only credible dealer in the state. The other dealer lost me when they said they wouldn't work on anything not purchased there. That counts a lot! Scarcity is a big factor in how much BS the dealers can dish out.
    It is up to an owner to see that his entire business runs flawlessly and to quickly correct any flaws that occur. Running a successful business requires an owner's full attention. There are some very sloppy owners out there as well as some very competent owners, and each deserves the appropriate recognition.

Spyder Garage

And what state is that, h0gr1der? Be nice to know who/where to avoid. I have 2 dealers in the area, but since they're 2 locations of the same dealer, I don't think it makes much difference. From what I'm hearing, I'll just pick a few extra tools and so things myself. Though if there was a decent shop within 100 miles or so, I'd consider taking it there.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    And what state is that, h0gr1der? Be nice to know who/where to avoid. I have 2 dealers in the area, but since they're 2 locations of the same dealer, I don't think it makes much difference. From what I'm hearing, I'll just pick a few extra tools and so things myself. Though if there was a decent shop within 100 miles or so, I'd consider taking it there.
    PM sent.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I'm coming around to the notion that Spyders are too complex for most motorcycle shops. I'm having front end issues with my 2014 RT-S which the dealer can't solve, and I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it. If this bike can't be fixed for a reasonable amount of money in a reasonable amount of time, why bother?

Updated: Let me be clear. If I had known I was going to have these problems getting my bike serviced, I would not have considered the Spyder at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I'm coming around to the notion that Spyders are too complex for most motorcycle shops. I'm having front end issues with my 2014 RT-S which the dealer can't solve, and I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it. If this bike can't be fixed for a reasonable amount of money in a reasonable amount of time, why bother?

Updated: Let me be clear. If I had known I was going to have these problems getting my bike serviced, I would not have considered the Spyder at all.
    Baxter, if you have frontend problems get ahold of Squared Away. They're venders on this sight and are very helpful folks. They'll do their best to help you get straightened out, I'm sure.

Spyder Garage

Common knowledge it is unliked by most techs because it's a time consuming machine to work on. Aside from that, most don't want, or care, to learn something new when they can skate by doing what they've been doing year after year to two wheelers, the good ones, blindfolded.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Would you not want to be warned of a dangerous curve ahead? I just don't understand why speaking out aboMyut poor customer service is offensive to some. I would be willing to meet in the middle and start a rating system from the top down. Rate the best dealers first and leave the worst to fall to the bottom or no mention at all.
    Just to clarify. I have no problem of being warned about bad dealers. The problem is that a person with a particular problem who does not get what he wants then goes after a dealer and tries to get them with untruthful reviews.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Baxter, if you have frontend problems get ahold of Squared Away. They're venders on this sight and are very helpful folks. They'll do their best to help you get straightened out, I'm sure.
    FWIW, I just had the dealer do a laser alignment. The results are that alignment is spot on, and toe-in is on spec. Yet the squirrely handling persists.

And another dealer data point: it took me two months to line up this appointment. Two months!!!

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I just had the dealer do a laser alignment. The results are that alignment is spot on, and toe-in is on spec. Yet the squirrely handling persists.

And another dealer data point: it took me two months to line up this appointment. Two months!!!
    Don't want to further irritate you with questions, but how old are the fronts and are they OEM Kendas?

If they are you wouldn't be the first with a bad tire. There have been many OEM Kendas with bad casings or they were manufactured out of round.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Don't want to further irritate you with questions, but how old are the fronts and are they OEM Kendas?

If they are you wouldn't be the first with a bad tire. There have been many OEM Kendas with bad casings or were manufactured out of round.
    Count me as one of those with BAD Kendas. To my untrained eye, they looked good. After addressing everything else I could think of, the tires were replaced. Suddenly the bike behaved as it should. Replacing the Kendas is easy, relatively inexpensive, and a worthwhile thing to do even if they are "serviceable". If I were you, I would order new tires (lots of recommendations on this forum), pull the front wheels, have a tire store mount and balance the tires and see if that doesn't solve your problem. In my opinion, it would not be wasted money regardless of the outcome. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post

If they are you wouldn't be the first with a bad tire. There have been many OEM Kendas with bad casings or they were manufactured out of round.
    Baxter, I concur with this comment. I had a bad tire that made my Spyder pull to the right even though the laser alignment was dead on. If you have good tires (not Kendas) on the front and are still having issues, I suggest you let another experienced Spyder rider take yours for a spin. Doing that will likely confirm whether the issue has to do with how you are handling the Spyder, or that there really is an independently verifiable problem with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mr. Baxter,

I just gave away a set of almost brand new Kenda take-off because I couldn't get one of the fronts to balance. In removing them I noticed the sidewall and tread area to be flimsy compared to the Vredesteins I put on. Lo and behold, my handling got better immediately thereafter. FWIW, the rear Kenda didn't make as much of a difference as the fronts. Remain persistent, find a dealer that gives outstanding service, and the Spyder becomes a whole different experience.

The rest of the story; I just got my Spyder back after a 29 day warranty repair hostage situation. Had them do the 3000 mile service at 1960 miles because time and distance (they're 90 miles one way). Long story short, they did a fairly good job with all the usual caveats.

Minuses- A few missing washers on the bolts against the paint. Time it took to get parts (why not have one of each item that has a TSB, like the left handlebar switch pack), time it took to install parts (9 days after the parts arrived, they were done). Coolant was low. Belt came back too tight, vibration was apparent. Dealer reported finding belt "way out of spec" so he tightened to 950 Hz, whatever that is. Measured 200 lbs in the air, just slightly under that on the ground. Belt was so tight it was rubbing the outside flange at the front. Right now I'm just finishing up re-tensioning the belt and re-aligning the rear wheel.

Pluses- No broken tabs that I found. No missing fasteners. No damage to bike. they honored my request to lower the axle torque because I have never seize on the threads, and put the split pin back in like I had it because I don't bend it over, just spread it slightly and shorten it.

So that's what I consider an honest opinion on my dealer. I will use them for warranty repair. I'll probably do the rest myself and save the receipts.
    h0gr1der