Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT Service.

Spyder Garage

Angry RT Service.

Morning rant

I took my 2014 Rt Spyder to my local dealer on July 2th for an appointment to have my rear shock checked. They informed me a couple of days later they needed to order parts. Bike is still in the shop after 23 days and after a couple of calls they said they were waiting on parts. I called again this morning only to hear they are waiting on parts. They tell me the wrong parts were ordered and Can-Am sent the wrong parts. I asked when they thought when it will be ready. Still can not give me any idea when it will be ready and Someone will call me. They said it happens in a Blue Moon-Right now right now I am A Red Moon with anger.😠😠😠

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dchandler001 View Post
    Morning rant

I took my 2014 Rt Spyder to my local dealer on July 2th for an appointment to have my rear shock checked. They informed me a couple of days later they needed to order parts. Bike is still in the shop after 23 days and after a couple of calls they said they were waiting on parts. I called again this morning only to hear they are waiting on parts. They tell me the wrong parts were ordered and Can-Am sent the wrong parts. I asked when they thought when it will be ready. Still can not give me any idea when it will be ready and Someone will call me. They said it happens in a Blue Moon-Right now right now I am A Red Moon with anger.������
    Mr. dchandler001,

I feel your pain. To add to the frustration, my brand new 2018 RTL has been in the shop exactly the same time as yours! Went in 4-2-19 for the left switch pack and water pump failure. The parts have been at the shop since the 18th, but they have units ahead of mine. Go figure.

I did query BRP Cares about extending my extended warranty for the amount of time I am not in possession of the bike, and even asked about a loaner. I could hear the laughing all the way down South about the loaner, but maybe that'll soften them up to adding days to my warranty.

I just hope when the tech goes back on my bike they have ordered the right parts.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Morning rant

I took my 2014 Rt Spyder to my local dealer on July 2th for an appointment to have my rear shock checked. They informed me a couple of days later they needed to order parts. Bike is still in the shop after 23 days and after a couple of calls they said they were waiting on parts. I called again this morning only to hear they are waiting on parts. They tell me the wrong parts were ordered and Can-Am sent the wrong parts. I asked when they thought when it will be ready. Still can not give me any idea when it will be ready and Someone will call me. They said it happens in a Blue Moon-Right now right now I am A Red Moon with anger.������
    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. dchandler001,

I feel your pain. To add to the frustration, my brand new 2018 RTL has been in the shop exactly the same time as yours! Went in 4-2-19 for the left switch pack and water pump failure. The parts have been at the shop since the 18th, but they have units ahead of mine. Go figure.

I did query BRP Cares about extending my extended warranty for the amount of time I am not in possession of the bike, and even asked about a loaner. I could hear the laughing all the way down South about the loaner, but maybe that'll soften them up to adding days to my warranty.

I just hope when the tech goes back on my bike they have ordered the right parts.
    Been there done that. Hope you guys get them back before the first snow.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

An ongoing situation for many. Going to see how it is in my new home (AR) shortly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So we should start a rate your dealer thread! We could sit around talking about oil and tires....

Forgive me, it's the boredom. Haven't ridden in 23 days, I'm Jonesing bad!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I am beginning to think that the dealers are so backed up with warranty issues and non-support from Can Am on their part availability, that it is almost impossible to get a rig worked on in a timely manner. Parts wise, Can Am is the worst. New 2018 RTL (400 miles) missing crush washer on timing adjuster. They sent the wrong one the first time. It is a different size than the drain plug washer. Three weeks waiting for that. Left hand module failure (down shift and reverse) Two weeks for that to get here from Detroit. Now, three weeks to get dealer to install it. Waiting list daoncha know. Miss my wing. Maybe I should have triked it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are three members of a riding club I belong to who have opted for triked wings over spyders or HD's, just in the past 6 months. The word is getting around.

Spyder Garage

I hear people supposedly in the know speaking disparagingly about forums and forum members, yet my "Senior Spyder Sales Rep" didn't even know the floorboard under the brake released into a down position in extreme braking situations. I've seen many instances where the service guys knew far less than the customers they were talking to. On the other hand, the Spyder crowd is somewhat like me- an old guy too busted up to fight the battle any more, so they just pay the price and don't complain. I can't do as much as I once could, so I have to pay stupid high prices to get it done. I just hate getting ripped off because "thats the way it is".
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I hear people supposedly in the know speaking disparagingly about forums and forum members, yet my "Senior Spyder Sales Rep" didn't even know the floorboard under the brake released into a down position in extreme braking situations. I've seen many instances where the service guys knew far less than the customers they were talking to. On the other hand, the Spyder crowd is somewhat like me- an old guy too busted up to fight the battle any more, so they just pay the price and don't complain. I can't do as much as I once could, so I have to pay stupid high prices to get it done. I just hate getting ripped off because "thats the way it is".
    Not long ago I had a dealer(not Can Am) tell me straight out..........old guys are easy money.

If one dealer thinks that and will say it to your face.......how many others think the same?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Not long ago I had a dealer(not Can Am) tell me straight out..........old guys are easy money.

If one dealer thinks that and will say it to your face.......how many others think the same?
    Mr. dchandler001, this is slightly off topic, but it's a dealer rant so please forgive me. This happened. Really.

As it is, I'm slightly busted up, loss of strength on the right. So, even though I had read some bad stuff about the Spyder, I like (and still do like) 2 in front. Much better design.

So I had installed at the dealer a pair of Tri-Axis bars and a OEM adjustable backrest to keep me ergonomically correct so I can continue to ride and not paralyze myself the rest of the way. I also wanted a ISCI handbrake setup, because my right foot acts stupid sometimes. I had the dealer quote me on that as they had done the backrest and bars reasonably inexpensively (part of the deal).

Any of you that have checked out the ISCI handbrake knows it doesn't interface in any way with the hydraulics on the Spyder, it uses a separate slave cylinder to activate the rear brake pedal. Reading the instructions, you have to remove the right plastic and the muffler. I figure the first time doing it, probably a 4 hour job including lunch. Check out the instructions at ISCI. Simple stuff really.

So my dealer quoted me ± $2700 to install it. The ISCI kit can be had for about $1300-$1400. When I asked them why so high, I was told "12 hour installation time because there is a complex bleeding procedure". $1200-$1250 labor for a 4 hour (2 if you've done it before) job. They must think not only that we're stupid, but can't read. This happened, really. I don't like bull****. Word of mouth spreads.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Mr. dchandler001, this is slightly off topic, but it's a dealer rant so please forgive me. This happened. Really.

As it is, I'm slightly busted up, loss of strength on the right. So, even though I had read some bad stuff about the Spyder, I like (and still do like) 2 in front. Much better design.

So I had installed at the dealer a pair of Tri-Axis bars and a OEM adjustable backrest to keep me ergonomically correct so I can continue to ride and not paralyze myself the rest of the way. I also wanted a ISCI handbrake setup, because my right foot acts stupid sometimes. I had the dealer quote me on that as they had done the backrest and bars reasonably inexpensively (part of the deal).

Any of you that have checked out the ISCI handbrake knows it doesn't interface in any way with the hydraulics on the Spyder, it uses a separate slave cylinder to activate the rear brake pedal. Reading the instructions, you have to remove the right plastic and the muffler. I figure the first time doing it, probably a 4 hour job including lunch. Check out the instructions at ISCI. Simple stuff really.

So my dealer quoted me ± $2700 to install it. The ISCI kit can be had for about $1300-$1400. When I asked them why so high, I was told "12 hour installation time because there is a complex bleeding procedure". $1200-$1250 labor for a 4 hour (2 if you've done it before) job. They must think not only that we're stupid, but can't read. This happened, really. I don't like bull****. Word of mouth spreads.

To my thinking. That's a we DO NOT want to mess with it quote. imo

Spyder Garage

Morning rant

I took my 2014 Rt Spyder to my local dealer on July 2th for an appointment to have my rear shock checked. They informed me a couple of days later they needed to order parts. Bike is still in the shop after 23 days and after a couple of calls they said they were waiting on parts.
    Go get your ride and tell the dealer to call YOU when the parts come in.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Go get your ride and tell the dealer to call YOU when the parts come in.
    You would have to have a dealer who has a two-way telephone. I have never encountered one. Only seen dealers who receive calls (mostly on their recorders) but don't know how to call back..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Regarding Spyders some shops focus on them and do a good job, in the typical time it should take not only for the task, but also the scheduling, ordering delivery etc.

Many shops though, are multi line dealers. With this, it seems techs that are brought up around Japanese or other makes, have little interest in the Spyder. Not all techs, but enough.

In these times, here in the USA, there is a definite shortage of skilled quality techs in many maintenance fields. In aviation, huge demand for high quality skilled techs. In automotive, talking with a friend that owns a shop recently, they can not find skilled techs that are truly skilled and willing to work. And these companies know this and are willing to pay the right people.

I would assume, and may be incorrect, but probably motorcycle shops are having these concerns too.

Add to that, if I were a shop manager, during the interview, beyond spinning wrenches, I would see how skilled they are in electrical troubleshooting.

Sorry to read your bikes are tied up. Hopefully, very soon you get them back, and they are properly repaired and go forever with nothing more than fuel, oil changes and tires.

Also, do not get me started on Service Writers.

Spyder Garage

And here I was thinking of getting the local dealer to do the 28k maintenance on my 2014 RTS because I'm feeling lazy. Maybe I'm better off just buying the parts, sucking it up for a weekend and doing it myself.

Anyone know where I can get a printed service manual? Should I get the most current 2019, or a 2014 specific? I've heard there are errors in the older ones that aren't corrected till recently.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was getting serious about the Spyder RT coming off my GW Road Smith conversion, so down to the local Spyder I went prepared for tire kicking and maybe a demo ride. Checking out the one RT in front of the front of the dealer's, the sales guy comes out and he had worked there 9 years. I was not impressed by his demeanor or the dealer. These people had tons of four wheelers, wave runners, etc., looked like an organized junk yard, two RTs. Far as a demo ride, make an appointment, and they might have a demo in three weeks. I do not understand Canam's marketing strategy, and disregard for customers, it makes no sense. Some brands are successful in spite of horrible customer service. But guess what, I will continue to come this forum and read.

Spyder Garage

Hope you find your Spyder someday. In the mean time keep checking in with us and adding to the mix.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Was getting serious about the Spyder RT coming off my GW Road Smith conversion, so down to the local Spyder I went prepared for tire kicking and maybe a demo ride. Checking out the one RT in front of the front of the dealer's, the sales guy comes out and he had worked there 9 years. I was not impressed by his demeanor or the dealer. These people had tons of four wheelers, wave runners, etc., looked like an organized junk yard, two RTs. Far as a demo ride, make an appointment, and they might have a demo in three weeks. I do not understand Canam's marketing strategy, and disregard for customers, it makes no sense. Some brands are successful in spite of horrible customer service. But guess what, I will continue to come this forum and read.
    BRP picks their dealers. From that group we pick ours. Try another one, it don't cost much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of finding the Spyder, I think it's a matter of finding a dealer that is worth a crap. I believe that despite having some initial shortcomings, my RT Limited can be brought up to full reliability.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

So we should start a rate your dealer thread! We could sit around talking about oil and tires....

Forgive me, it's the boredom. Haven't ridden in 23 days, I'm Jonesing bad!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    A rate your dealer thread was also suggested a ways back. The problem with such a thread is that it is usually not fair. There are three sides to every story, the victim, the dealer, and what really happened.

And then we get the problem that on most forums, the people with a gripe are heard the most. Those who are happy, usually do not chime in.

It usually turns into dealer bashing more often than not.

A true dilemma.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: This is a generic statement and your experience may be different.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    And here I was thinking of getting the local dealer to do the 28k maintenance on my 2014 RTS because I'm feeling lazy. Maybe I'm better off just buying the parts, sucking it up for a weekend and doing it myself.

Anyone know where I can get a printed service manual? Should I get the most current 2019, or a 2014 specific? I've heard there are errors in the older ones that aren't corrected till recently.
    2014 specific - watch eBay & amazon for postings - prepare yourself they're not cheap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    A rate your dealer thread was also suggested a ways back. The problem with such a thread is that it is usually not fair. There are two sides to every story, the victim, the dealer, and what really happened.

And then we get the problem that on most forums, the people with a gripe are heard the most. Those who are happy, usually do not chime in.

A true dilemma.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: This is a generic statement and your experience may be different.
    MR. ARtraveler,

I forgot to put the symbol in there. I assumed once I mentioned tires and oil most folks would grin/grimace!
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

You’re right about Dealers not wanting to do Warrantee work. Why should they, when the are limited to doing the absolute minimum BRP will agree to, in order to do Band Aid patch up repairs that might last long enough until the Warrantee expires. I doubt that ANY Dealer will work on Warrantees, ahead of non Warrantee Cash Customers that pay up front, and the Dealer doesn’t have to wait to get reimbursed by BRP for labor and parts. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but unless BRP gets an improved Act together, and takes some Customer Service lessons from Harley Davidson, I doubt they will be selling their 100 Year Anniversary Spyder Models with matching Wearing Apparel as Harley did in 2003 One Hundredth Anniversary. BRP is more interested in Sales of new Models to Dealers, than servicing old Customers that already have bought Spyders and Warrantees have expired. “ It is what it is”, and I really can’t see BRP attracting many new Dealers, at least, serious Dealers, willing to offer Harley Davidson Quality Service to Spyder Owners. In order to offer a decent Business Model to service Spyders, BRP should open Factory Service Only Service Centers, with Factory trained and employed Techs, at least enough in every area, to handle all Service, from Oil and Tire changes, to Warrantee work, and complete Engine and Tranny rebuilding capabilities, at reasonable prices and fast turn over. They should also offer transportation Pick Up & Delivery Service, for Limp Home Mode Vehicles that leave Owners stranded in strange places away from home! The Dealers should not be burdened with what they presently have to do to keep Spyders or Can-Am Vehicles operating properly during peak riding Seasons.
    007 James

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    I am beginning to think that the dealers are so backed up with warranty issues and non-support from Can Am on their part availability, that it is almost impossible to get a rig worked on in a timely manner. Parts wise, Can Am is the worst. New 2018 RTL (400 miles) missing crush washer on timing adjuster. They sent the wrong one the first time. It is a different size than the drain plug washer. Three weeks waiting for that. Left hand module failure (down shift and reverse) Two weeks for that to get here from Detroit. Now, three weeks to get dealer to install it. Waiting list daoncha know. Miss my wing. Maybe I should have triked it.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    A rate your dealer thread was also suggested a ways back. The problem with such a thread is that it is usually not fair. There are three sides to every story, the victim, the dealer, and what really happened.

A true dilemma.

Would you not want to be warned of a dangerous curve ahead? I just don't understand why speaking out about poor customer service is offensive to some. I would be willing to meet in the middle and start a rating system from the top down. Rate the best dealers first and leave the worst to fall to the bottom or no mention at all.