Thread: Max mount

Spyder Garage

Default Max mount

Hi. Got my rally 2 weeks back and had the passenger seat installed. Seems that most of the time, I will be riding alone so I was thinking of removing the max mount, including the seat and only install it when I have a passenger.
    Does anyone have experience removing the max mount ? Is it easy ? what about the trim when no max mount is installed ?

I found this video from brp:
    https://youtu.be/IHg8uaHf60U

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Personally, I wouldn't remove it. But it's only 4 bolts so if that's what you want to do then it seems fairly simple. You will need a torque wrench and the appropriate socket to remove and install. There is also an additional brace that is installed in conjunction with the passenger seat but I see no reason to remove that. The passenger pegs could be removed also and there are plastic covers that cover those holes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wifesaidyes View Post
    Hi. Got my rally 2 weeks back and had the passenger seat installed. Seems that most of the time, I will be riding alone so I was thinking of removing the max mount, including the seat and only install it when I have a passenger.
    Does anyone have experience removing the max mount ? Is it easy ? what about the trim when no max mount is installed ?

I found this video from brp:
    https://youtu.be/IHg8uaHf60U

Thanks
    The max mount was not designed to be taken on and off easily.

The passenger seat should just slide on and off the max mount when not needed, the max mount will stay on.

I switch between the top case and or the passenger seat, whatever I need.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Thanks KC61 and leenanj
    Watching the video, it seems easy - but I have no torque wrench so I guess I will keep it as is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not trying to make anybody upset, but next time you’re at a bike shop, see if you can peak in on the maintenance area and see how many mechanics are using torque wrenches. You may be surprised. cueman

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't let the price of a torque wrench deter you and I do use them religiously. Especially something as critical as the Max Mount where you are doing something that could affect the passenger's safety.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Not trying to make anybody upset, but next time you’re at a bike shop, see if you can peak in on the maintenance area and see how many mechanics are using torque wrenches. You may be surprised. cueman
    Ha!

Was waiting for someone to mention using a torque wrench.

The last thing a dealer wants is a part falling off after they installed it.

Have you ever torqued something to spec and said heck no, to loose for me.

I must admit I hardly ever use one myself unless its a critical component like wheels or engine.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

I'll just stay on the safe side and don't touch the mount, or divorce and have it removed professionally by the dealer...

Spyder Garage

If you are taking the mount off of a Rally, you are also removing the rear fender protection and will end up with road debris on your posterior.

Spyder Garage

good point - I just realized that - thanks MDLNB

Spyder Garage

Although, you could probably purchase the 900 ACE rear fender and install it for protection. Then, you could take that MaxMount off if you wished.

Spyder Garage

Too much hassle for me. But thanks for the idea.

Spyder Garage

The instructions give a torque spec because the bolts that hold the Max Mount on come with thread locker on them and BRP wants them installed with the appropriate torque for the safety factor. While I don't own a Rally and have lots of storage space on my RT-S, if I did I would not remove the Max Mount and would probably search for a bag to fit it for those unusual times that I might want to carry something.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S