Thread: Towing

Spyder Garage

Default Towing

Can a car dolly be used to tow an F3?

Spyder Garage

Modified to lift the rear tire up too (like a flat bed) if your thinking of just lifting & towing by the front tiresNO. maybe small distance 100 yard or less, otherwise risking damage to transmission. It DEPENDS on fluid circulation from the engine, coasting in N will not produce that. Towing instructions in your owners manual, please follow them.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I know a fellow rider who ended up towing his 2014 RT over 1000 miles using a car dolly. His is an SE6 transmission. It did no damage and when I asked the shop owner about it he said that it should not be a problem doing that.

With that said I would stick with a flat bed, or trailer with all the wheels of the pavement!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I know a fellow rider who ended up towing his 2014 RT over 1000 miles using a car dolly. His is an SE6 transmission. It did no damage and when I asked the shop owner about it he said that it should not be a problem doing that.

With that said I would stick with a flat bed, or trailer with all the wheels of the pavement!
    I appreciate the reply. My problem is that I have a Honda CRV that is only rated for 1500 lbs towing weight. I figured with a car dolly I could stay under that 1500 lbs limit. That said, I don't want to do anything to damage my bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I appreciate the reply. My problem is that I have a Honda CRV that is only rated for 1500 lbs towing weight. I figured with a car dolly I could stay under that 1500 lbs limit. That said, I don't want to do anything to damage my bike.
    There are suitable trailers 7X12 flat or enclosed that will work

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

You can if you do one of the following....tie down the rear wheel to the dolly (if possible) and strap the handlebars to keep them from turning... mount it normally with the front wheels on the dolly but remove the drive belt on the spyder. There are light weight trailers you can get but not from any outfit like U-haul, Penske etc. They only have heavy duty equipment.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You can if you do one of the following....tie down the rear wheel to the dolly (if possible) and strap the handlebars to keep them from turning... mount it normally with the front wheels on the dolly but remove the drive belt on the spyder. There are light weight trailers you can get but not from any outfit like U-haul, Penske etc. They only have heavy duty equipment.
    I was considering the removal of the drive belt option, but haven't researched yet to determine how difficult it is to remove. Thanks for the reply.

Spyder Garage

I understand as I was researching which new veicale to go with I discounted all with less then 2500# towing. Ended up with a Subaru Outback rated at 2700#. I purchased a fold- up trailer (had to have one that can store in the garage).
    F3 at 900# + trailer at 650# = 1550#.
    I think you will be pushing it at only 1500#.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Belt removal is somewhat easy. Just pull it off the rear sprocket and tie it up out of the way. Don't forget to release the parking brake (beeper will stop after about 30 seconds).
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sounds like a fairly common issue. I'm surprised some enterprising soul hasn't developed a simple solution for it already. A small dolly to carry the rear wheel should do the trick. However I understand Spyders shouldn't be towed backwards because of the windshield brackets breaking.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The ones from U-HAUL etc probably weigh 400 lbs ..... just a thought ..... and if the rear wheel isn't disconnected I'd be concerned .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    There are suitable trailers 7X12 flat or enclosed that will work
    A 7x12 trailer alone would exceed his towing limit, forget about putting the spyder on there.
    2019 F3 Limited , Phoenix Orange Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This sounds like a fairly common issue. I'm surprised some enterprising soul hasn't developed a simple solution for it already. A small dolly to carry the rear wheel should do the trick. However I understand Spyders shouldn't be towed backwards because of the windshield brackets breaking.
    Pete...

In Washington State, the tow dolly uses the dollied vehicles license plate and registration to be legally on the road. This requires the dollied vehicle to have one axel of wheels on the road during travel. When all of the dollied vehicle's wheels are off the ground, it is being trailered. At that point, the dolly has become a trailer and then requires it's own vehicle registration, license plate, and brakes@3KGVW or more.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Pete...

In Washington State, the tow dolly uses the dollied vehicles license plate and registration to be legally on the road. This requires the dollied vehicle to have one axel of wheels on the road during travel. When all of the dollied vehicle's wheels are off the ground, it is being trailered. At that point, the dolly has become a trailer and then requires it's own vehicle registration, license plate, and brakes@3KGVW or more.

Regards,

Don
    I envisioned a dolly for the rear wheel, with the Spyder front wheels on the ground, towing it backwards.
    2014 RTL Platinum