Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode - who uses it? And when?

Hi all, simple questions, who uses it and if so when, always! sometimes!

Spyder Garage

I used it for a few weeks after I purchased our spyders while I was running them in. After run in, never use that mode. Eco mode is too gutless if you want quick acceleration. Don't want to wait for the motor to build revs....Treva

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use it when I am running low on fuel and trying to stretch it to the next fuel stop if I am unsure. I've played with it and find its okay on flat freeways but hilly back roads, the need to twist the throttle seems to cancel any fuel economy.

I tried it towing, it wasnt a good experience it went thru fuel like it was a last gasp for air
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Tried it a few times on long runs. Didn't see much difference in performance or fuel economy. Now I mostly just leave it in normal mode.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I'm testing it now, but not seeing a huge difference yet.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I just bought a used 14 RT limited & still learning the many controls on it. What exactly is the Eco mode & how to use it? tks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by praireroads View Post
    i just bought a used 14 rt limited & still learning the many controls on it. What exactly is the eco mode & how to use it? Tks
    rtfm!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Rarely, unless it's a long strech of flat and straight road.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Eco mode is supposed to help get better fuel mileage. You can engage it by holding the ECO button on the left switch cluster. The ECO light will appear on the instrument panel and will appear when you reach a certain shift point. Basically it tells you when to shift into the next gear and it also limits the power electronically. I have played with it some in the 25,000 miles I have been riding my RT. I find it pretty much worthless and never use it anymore. MPG MIGHT have been 1 mpg better than with ECO mode off.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Many opinions on that one. Most do not use it. When I got my new 2014, after about 3,000 miles I tried it for one full tank of gas (about 200 miles). I shifted when it told me to. My gas savings was about 1 mpg. I found that looking for the magic green arrow was a PIA. I have never used it since. i get high 30's to low 40's...and am happy with that.

Oh, When they gave us ECO mode that took away my electronic frunk release. I have never forgiven them for that. I usually do this rant every time I get to speak about ECO mode.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I guess I use it almost all the time. I don't need the snappiest throttle response. I ignore the stupid "shift light"
    and go seat of the pants. Above about 4 thousand RPM, I can't tell the difference. Yes yes..I am a geezer.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

So! most don't use it or find it virtually irrelevant, Thanks all for the your input.

Spyder Garage

I just have not seen much difference and leave it on. I do not have any problem keeping up with my G.W. buddy's.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My RT is always in " ECO " mode ..... unless I am in the " twistie's " or want to pass multiple veh's ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm in no hurry to catch the next green light or burn off the rear tire of my 14RT. I run in ECO all the time unless passing in the "twistie's" (up hill). I get consistent high 30's MPG solo and low 40's when I'm two up. My shift point is generally 3k or below. Premium or regular, makes no difference.

Spyder Garage

I never use this useless mode.Fact is I had the ECU flashed and love the extra power. No other performance mods to my trouble FREE 2014 RTs. Fuel milage may be off a bit------- but is fully offset by the smile on my face. " Old Geezer" here too----- that also rides an old, slow, modded V-Max

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have ECO mode on most of the time. For sure it's on for highway miles with cruise control engaged. I only disable it if I'm going to do a bunch of downshifting into the powerband for passing, traffic, etc. I bought the RTL for its stated purpose - touring - so ECO mode suits me fine on those long stretches.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    So! most don't use it or find it virtually irrelevant, Thanks all for the your input.
    Thanks all again, so i stand corrected, some do, some don't.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So I would have been like Lew above and not cared about the use of this mode. But, I can tell you that we used it extensively on our 4500 mile trip recently. We used it on Interstates when we were cursing at 70 to 75 MPH for long distances. Example from Nor-Cal to Winnemucca NV. No twisties and the machine still has all the performance necessary to pass vehicles when needed. It did greatly extend the mileage on these type of runs. So that I could get 220 miles on a tank without having to think about it. Also when training for an Iron butt, I have found this to be useful. For these type of runs you don't want to be stopping for fuel more than you have to.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I used it for a few days after purchasing F3-S. Besides the indicator when to shift it also remaps the throttle response so it becomes "softer". I never used Eco mode again until I installed a cat delete pipe and replaced the air filter with K&N. Now I use Eco mode all the time because of the bump in the power and a better throttle response.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tested it for a couple of tanks of fuel...
    For a one-tenth of a mile per gallon difference: it just wasn't worth the slower throttle response!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My girlfriend and I recently purchased 2018 F3-T's and I told her to try ECO mode to get use to when to shift, she likes it as it seems to offer smoother shifts. The shift point on F3-T seems to be different from my 2014 RT so I tried the ECO mode. What I have noticed with ECO mode is depending on my driving style ECO mode is very helpful for smooth shifts. I haven't noticed a delay with acceleration when I want to pass. We also have the 89 tooth sprocket on our F3's.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I used it during break-in. We haven't taken any long distance rides yet but will try it when we do to see if there is any significant fuel mileage advantage. I would probably consider using it if caught in the rain or when I take it out this winter to ride in the snow, just because I can...
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I used it during break-in. We haven't taken any long distance rides yet but will try it when we do to see if there is any significant fuel mileage advantage. I would probably consider using it if caught in the rain or when I take it out this winter to ride in the snow, just because I can...
    A little off topic here-----
    's don't do well in the snow. And we get snow in Northern Nv. We're have a growing group of spyder riders here in Northern Nv. gurmpyoldretiredcop, PM me and I'll fill you in.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

If you ran a poll it would probably lean to the non users. I remember when they first added it (probably to appease the EPA in CA) and all the testers said it did little and you may save a gallon but loose the smile...Most effective would be on the flat freeway type roads on which going the speed limit would save you just as much. There are factors that contribute to the effectiveness...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black