Spyder Garage

Default 2009 rs check engine code p1697

Hello, I’m new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I have a 2009 rs sm5 that brought up a P1697 code (clutch solenoid short) does anyone know how to find the problem (where to look on my bike) and how to get the code to go away after I fix the issue (or does the code disappear after I fix it)? Thank you for any help or insight

Spyder Garage

P1697 Clutch valve shorted to ground or open circuit.

Possible Causes. Damaged Clutch valve circuit, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged ECM output pins.

Service actions. Check fuse F2 Disconnect Clutch solenoid valve Measure voltage between harness connector 6-CSV-1 and ground. (Expected value: 0 volts) Measure voltage between harness connector 6-CSV-2 and ground. (Expected value: 11 to 13 volts) Measure resistance between CSV pin 1 and 2 (Expected value = 20 to 30 ohms)

The clutch valve is part of the vacuum assist system. So the handle is not so hard to pull when the engine is running.

I recommend getting a digital copy of the service manual. Not expensive and can be downloaded in a short time if you have a good internet connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Here is a better picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have been testing how and when the check engine light comes on for this code - if I sit in the middle of the seat (with equal distance front and back) the alert doesn’t happen. If I sit further back in the seat, the alert comes up within a couple miles. I have taken off many panels (thinking there’s a wire rubbing somewhere) but cannot find it. Any suggestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblspyder View Post
    I have been testing how and when the check engine light comes on for this code - if I sit in the middle of the seat (with equal distance front and back) the alert doesn’t happen. If I sit further back in the seat, the alert comes up within a couple miles. I have taken off many panels (thinking there’s a wire rubbing somewhere) but cannot find it. Any suggestions?
    That doesn't make a lot of sense but there is a switch in the seat to sense a passenger and change the calibration of the stability systems
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Does seem to be a possible problem with the wiring under the seat. You could check the connection and any possible other wire damage grounding etc under there.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

After hubby and I checked all the possible problems (I downloaded a manual and we did all the test we could - they all came out within the required parameters) he took it out, standing on the pegs and the check engine light came on within half mile. I called the nearest dealer today, they’ll call me back tomorrow when the service department is done moving the sea doo units in the yard. Getting frustrated

Spyder Garage

So...my bike is back at the shop and they tell me all the tests were good except the ecm test (which it failed). They are telling me I need a new frame harness assembly and that it’s back ordered until mid November. Anyone have any leads on a wrecked 2009 sm5 I could ravage for parts?