Spyder Garage

Default Where did the hearing protection thread go?

Earlier today I responded to a thread that appeared to have been started by someone simply trying to sell custom hearing protection. I'm thinking it may have been deleted as a spam. Sadly, though, there were some good and bad points being discussed about hearing protection that seemed as though it might be beneficial information. Is there any way to recover those parts of the conversation and leave out the unauthorized advertising?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering the same thing myself, it was their first post and the first reply they got was pretty nasty. I would have deleted it and never come back to spyderlovers again. I couldn’t decide if he was selling them, he doesn’t live in the same area as the company was located so I took it as an honest product endorsement
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Anyway ... I wear the foam ear plugs when I ride. Might sound strange, but, when I do, I can hear my radio better. The plugs seem to cut out the wind noise and, though I may lose some of the high frequencies, the radio is clearer with the plugs. I don't push them in quite far enough to touch in the middle (GRIN), but, just far enough to cut the wind noise.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Earlier today I responded to a thread that appeared to have been started by someone simply trying to sell custom hearing protection. I'm thinking it may have been deleted as a spam. Sadly, though, there were some good and bad points being discussed about hearing protection that seemed as though it might be beneficial information. Is there any way to recover those parts of the conversation and leave out the unauthorized advertising?
    Most all hearing centers provide the same service and selection. Search "custom ear plugs near me"

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing myself, it was their first post and the first reply they got was pretty nasty. I would have deleted it and never come back to spyderlovers again. I couldn’t decide if he was selling them, he doesn’t live in the same area as the company was located so I took it as an honest product endorsement
    Not that what I think matters. I spent at least an hour reading everything on their site. Right down to employee profiles. Pretty certain it was a self promoting post. Again, jmo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Not that what I think matters. I spent at least an hour reading everything on their site. Right down to employee profiles. Pretty certain it was a self promoting post. Again, jmo
    You could very well be right, I did think it odd that someone would make their first post about ear plugs. But still no reason fir some to be rude.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I don’t put my hearing aids and still hear radio fine, don’t turn volume up until on the road.

Spyder Garage

I buy the bulk box of foam plugs from Amazon.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

We considered the post to be "undercover" advertising. It was deleted by me after discussion with others. There is a lot of that going on these days. Same with restaurant reviews....they get shills or employees to give good ratings.

The old saying...it must be true...its on the internet.

The vendors featured on SL pay a fee to have their products featured. The occasional attempt to get "free" advertising by some is dealt with quickly.

A big clue was that it was the OP's first post. Who comes on the site with a first post to tout a favorite brand of ear plugs?????

Not our job to vette a potential advertiser when they come on with a first post. They should contact Admin first to be vetted if they want to show or talk about their product.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I regret that the original post was deleted ONLY because of the subject and what the loss of hearing does -- it can wreck your life. CruisnTX, the last paragraph of your last post was in the V-ring. In my prior incarnation one wasn't a real artillerist unless one was hard of hearing. What a stupid idea! I wear these to protect what little I have left,https://www.thefitlifestore.com/coll...sleeping-black.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I regret that the original post was deleted ONLY because of the subject and what the loss of hearing does -- it can wreck your life. CruisnTX, the last paragraph of your last post was in the V-ring. In my prior incarnation one wasn't a real artillerist unless one was hard of hearing. What a stupid idea! I wear these to protect what little I have left,https://www.thefitlifestore.com/coll...sleeping-black.
    ummmmm, not sure what the "V-ring" is; but hoping that it's a good thing.

Spyder Garage

The V-ring is a smaller circle in the center of a target bulls-eye. Good job!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I was born with an average 40% hearing loss. However it wasn't an even loss but dips in the middle so low tones are only 20%, high 30% but middle 60%. This meant I never heard birdsong until I started working and was able to purchase my first decent pair of hearing aids. What's happened now is that I've started to have hearing loss in the high area as well down to a similar level to the middle. This loss of high level is a more normal age related pattern (but I'm so young;-))

The bit that does the hearing in your ear is shaped like a snail shell. Inside this shell are loads of hairs attached to nerves that transmit the sound to your brain. high pitched sounds are picked up at the start of the snail shell, while lower pitched sounds pass this and are picked up further in. If you have less working hairs at a certain point inside that snail shell then your hearing will be worse at that tone - so I was born with a 'bald spot' around the mid tone level.

Because all sound passes the the high tone area to reach the lower areas these hairs tend to fail first. The way I had it described to me is that its like a hall carpet always wears at the front door. So most people loose the high end with age to some degree.

Constant noise means all the hairs up to the point where that tone ends in the snail shell are having to work constantly and this can damage/break them. That's why constant lower pitched tones can actually do more damage than higher pitched ones as all the hairs to that point are under pressure. The high tones may be affected first just because of the 'hall carpet' effect but the damage will be spread further.

This is different type of hearing loss to that experienced by sudden explosions etc.

Obviously I do have the advantage in that just taking out my hearing aids gives me instant sound reduction. However I also am very careful about the selection of my crash helmets and currently have an Shoei Gt-Air because of its superior noise reduction. On long trips or when using GPS I use Bose QuietControl 30 noise cancelling earbuds - very expensive indeed but as I also do a lot of flying they are invaluable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    We considered the post to be "undercover" advertising. It was deleted by me after discussion with others. There is a lot of that going on these days. Same with restaurant reviews....they get shills or employees to give good ratings.

The old saying...it must be true...its on the internet.

The vendors featured on SL pay a fee to have their products featured. The occasional attempt to get "free" advertising by some is dealt with quickly.

A big clue was that it was the OP's first post. Who comes on the site with a first post to tout a favorite brand of ear plugs?????

Not our job to vette a potential advertiser when they come on with a first post. They should contact Admin first to be vetted if they want to show or talk about their product.
    Thx for the filtering that very well could have grown to something unpleasant. So By chance will there be a restaurant tread
    Coming out? would be nicer than
    tires& oil threads & trip worthy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

So there's been a lot of talk about off topic posts to threads, so here's one for ya!

Did you know that men lose their hearing first in the tones that women communicate in? Actual stuff they taught in the industry I was in. 3000-5000 hz range of hearing goes first. So protect em up guys. My tinnitus is so loud other folks can hear it!

By far the best bang for the buck is the foam roll up disposable plugs, look for 32 db reduction, I think the big box of Howard Leigh Max with cords has a SNR rating of 36db.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Thx for the filtering that very well could have grown to something unpleasant. So By chance will there be a restaurant tread
    Coming out? would be nicer than
    tires& oil threads & trip worthy
    Believe it or not...there was a restaurant thread. People were asked to mention their favorite restaurant that they have encountered. One person suggested the Double Musky in Girdwood AK, and I even agreed with that one.

And now...back to the original program.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a new rider and posted to the other thread to ask what people were using. This morning I dropped in my standard shop foamies and talk about a huge difference. I thought the ride was pretty quiet with my Arai Quantum X, but the ear plugs sure did make the ride more comfortable!

My Sena 10C Pro had no trouble producing sound past the ear plugs too.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I too like the foam roll up. We used them extensively in the steel mill I worked in. I find that for me they reduce the helmet roar of a modular helmet to an acceptable level. They also make it so I can hear the radio and communications easier.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

In the event some missed it in the other thread, here is a link to an online search using the phrase: "hearing loss due to wind noise on motorcycles" in the search bar. As you can see, a lot of research has been done on the subject. Speaking from the experience of having ridden motorcycles (always with a helmet) since 1968 and no hearing protection for the 1st ~120K miles, protecting your hearing should be a top priority for everyone. Once it's gone; it's gone forever and the simple task of using ear plugs can greatly delay that.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=hearin...454E351DC5B518