Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I too was beginning to have problems when coming to a stop under less than ideal conditions, sand, gravel, uneven pavement, steep hills, etc. Sooo ... My wife, Deb, and I started looking at Spyders about two years ago at the American Voyager Association International Rally in Hurley, WI. One of the Spyder owners offered to give Deb a demo ride. She liked the stability and secure feeling of the trike. In the fall of 2018, we visited a Can Am dealer in Danville, VA for a scheduled demo ride. We rode it around town for just about 30 minutes and really liked it. Granted, it's not a motorcycle (two wheel) ride and I knew it would take time to adjust to the ATV type steering and pushing on the handlebar the opposite way I wanted to go. Well, Deb had a major stroke on 11 Feb this year and we agreed that she should not ride as a passenger on two wheels anymore. So I started looking for a Spyder. I got lucky and found a 2015 RT Limited with only 2,500 miles on it and a two year warranty for about half the price of a new one. Picked it up in the beginning of May and have already doubled the mileage and went to our rally, this year in Summersville, W.VA. I live 50 miles from my workplace and ride 100 miles each day I ride it to work. Still have my 2010 Voyager and ride it occasionally, but, it's up for sale. Love the Spyder. We will miss the feeling of leaning into a set of twisties on some back country road, but, at least we still ride.

DSCN3683.jpg
    Who says we like yellow?!?
    Spyder US.jpg
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond with their experiences. I have not decided to transition yet, but I have signed up for a class in a couple of weeks. The closest I could find is about 60 miles away. There is a good chance I will get one if the training goes well for me.

Spyder Garage

Well, my 2 cents may/may not be helpful to your decision-making process, but I'll offer it optimistically.

I come from a background of riding more ATVs than 2-wheel motorcycles. I used snowmobiles, quads, and 6-wheelers a LOT in my career after the military. When I say "a lot," I mean hours/day x 7 days/week for a decade. It was a luxury to be able to get to where my work was in a pick-up truck or SUV. I literally had to take helicopters a few times, and used them even more for scouting. I was a hunting outfitter and farm & ranch Realtor who specialized in hunting, fishing, and golf course conversions from straight ag use, but most included a production ag business model as at least one major module of the overall dev/mgmt plan.

But I also grew up on dirt bikes and enduros without ever owning my own, mostly thanks to my best friend's dad. Then, my wife of 24 years of matrimonial bliss is a street biker who switched from sport bikes to cruisers 11 yrs ago. So I began riding cruisers then. I bought a Spyder RT a few years ago, after a long and arduous rehab for a broken neck and knee surgery. The former of which ended by career.

But enough about me...

I have several friends like you have recently followed me to the dark side for similar reasons to your own. It is not an easy transition, and the only things that seem to work well are an open mind, five hundred to a thousand miles of experience, and a desire for a new adventure that fuels perseverance. But out of the 9 or so of these old bikers, only 1 sold his Spyder. The others all think it was the right decision and are happy to still be riding.

The open mind thing -- realize you are riding something with 2-wheels up front for steering and learn what that means and how the mechanics work vs a 2-wheeler. Old bikers used to running 80 mph without a care in the world get very white-knuckle the first few times they climb on a quad and break 30 mph on an improved surface. Watch some videos of quad racing and watch the driving techniques used. It's a short list for maneuvering a Spyder at high speed: light touch, squeeze with your knees (like riding a horse), push on the OUTSIDE foot peg/board in a turn (just a bit), and do not over-correct. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast! Most of all, slow back down to beginner level and put the Spyder on an empty parking lot to get the feel for maneuvering, braking, and manipulation of the controls until you can do this stuff without thinking about it or looking for the turn signal button, etc. The start on residential streets at 10-30 mph for several short trips over a couple of weeks. Then drive it in low speed city traffic a bit. Next, take it on a county 2-lane that 45-50 mph is appropriate for...the less traffic the better. Finally, do it all over again 2-up with your girlfriend (but it won't take as long this time).

Girlfriend Factor -- chicks LOVE riding Spyders! They feel way safer and are more comfortable than anything else on the road. On a rear axle trike, they sit right over the axle and feel every little bump like a kick in the seat of the pants. And the RT passenger seat is both comfortable AND feels like it is surrounding you. Rider foot boards come standard. So they can press on the outside of a curve AND they have integrated, heated hand bars with a separate set of rear speaker controls for the audio. So no need to hold on to the driver. The rear suspension is an AIR shock under their seat over a horizontal suspension arm like a lot of the dirt bikes have. VERY smooth! Honestly, the "better half" approval is a HUGE part of why these guys are so happy with their Spyder RTs. And yes, they ALL ride RTs...not F3s or Rykers.

Spyder Garage

Reading this thread is like hearing my own story over and over again... when I began having problems getting my feet off the floorboards of my Victory Cross Country and holding the bike up at a stop with my wife aboard became more of a gamble than an adventure, I knew it was time to transition from two wheels to three. We looked at a couple of Harley trikes, but frankly I don't like the way the solid rear axles handle. I tried a couple of RTs, but couldn't sit on one for more than a few minutes without experiencing severe pain (more about that in a minute) but the F3's seating position works perfectly for me. I bought a 2017 F3T last year, added a factory trunk as my wife has been used to Gold Wings, Ventures, and other touring bikes we've had over the years and wants a solid backrest. She hasn't ridden it with me yet, as I bought the F3 at the end of the riding season here in NV and her having had a shoulder joint replaced earlier this year, but she's just about recovered and ready to go.

Turns out that the reason I can't ride an RT and why I was having trouble getting my feet down on the Cross Country is that both of my hips and one knee are basically toast, courtesy of arthritis and the wear and tear of 30 years of law enforcement and military service. Hip replacements are coming soon. Still, I've been having fun learning how to ride all over again; it's sort of like going back to your novice days and yet not. You have years of experience and judgement behind you, all that's involved is modifying some reflexes. I'm getting to a comfort level at which I'm now probing for the limits of the F3, looking for the edge of its performance envelope. I haven't found them yet! I still ride the Cross Country solo and have no trouble going back and forth from two wheels to three. We'll see about keeping the Victory after seeing how the hip replacements go, but I have no plans to divest myself of the F3 at this point.

I'm glad to hear that you've signed up for training. As a former MSF RiderCoach, I have the same thought to express to you that I've said to many students; in taking the training course you may find out how much you like riding a Spyder, or you may find out that it doesn't work for you. Either way, you win. Good luck, hope you enjoy the course and that a Spyder works for you!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Almost ditto what Grump said. Couldn't lift my feet off the boards of my Victory Cross Roads, so graduated to three wheels. I never wanted a trike, want the two wheels up front where I can keep an eye on them.
    I get my hip replacement today. Gonna be off the Spyder for maybe a month and this is our riding season. But when I heal, it's gonna be a whole lot better.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Off-topic but...Good luck w/the hip replacement, RICZ!!! Wishing for a speedy recovery.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

This looks like a good thread to throw out my related question. I have been on two wheels for many years and have taken the CanAm training course and recently demoed an RT and F3L. The F3L seems to be the best fit for me and have begun the process of getting bids from dealers. Even with my limited experience the transition,(no clutch, braking, etc,) seems to be fairly natural. Howver, one question still seems to be on my mind concerning the Spyder. When riding on two wheels and I approach a curve I just lean a bit and the bike, mother nature and I feel as one as I go the curve. Again very limited experience, but when I approach the same curve on a Spyder it seems as if the bike , mother nature and I are working against each other. My question for you experienced Spyder riders is do you ever get to the point of where you and the Spyder and mother nature begin to feel as one going through the curves? I know it will not ever be the same because you are dealing with two different vehicles. I suppose I could hang on to my two wheels but I really don't want to have two bikes for various reasons.
    Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    This looks like a good thread to throw out my related question. I have been on two wheels for many years and have taken the CanAm training course and recently demoed an RT and F3L. The F3L seems to be the best fit for me and have begun the process of getting bids from dealers. Even with my limited experience the transition,(no clutch, braking, etc,) seems to be fairly natural. Howver, one question still seems to be on my mind concerning the Spyder. When riding on two wheels and I approach a curve I just lean a bit and the bike, mother nature and I feel as one as I go the curve. Again very limited experience, but when I approach the same curve on a Spyder it seems as if the bike , mother nature and I are working against each other. My question for you experienced Spyder riders is do you ever get to the point of where you and the Spyder and mother nature begin to feel as one going through the curves? I know it will not ever be the same because you are dealing with two different vehicles. I suppose I could hang on to my two wheels but I really don't want to have two bikes for various reasons.
    Thanks
    Poasttown
    The following has helped me a lot. RE: Riding the twisties....

Always enter a curve at a speed that will allow you to accelerate slightly. If you have to brake going into a curve...your going to fast.

I take curves by entering at the "inside" of the curve and viewing the line of sight (the outside of the curve).

I lean a bit "into" the curve and plant the "outside" foot on the pedal. Gripping the center section with the knees also helps.

A slight push/pull on the handlebars going through the curve also helps. You will find, when comfortable with the above...you can take most curves at 15 to 20 mph more than posted...if you are comfortable with it.

The important part is to stay between the lines and enjoy your ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Off-topic but...Good luck w/the hip replacement, RICZ!!! Wishing for a speedy recovery.
    I was all greased up and ready to roll, when the anesthetist looked at my chart and said, this guy is too anemic, we're not doing this today. Yeah, I'm a bit anemic, it came on after a couple of heavy dosed of chemo in '06 and '11. So my present numbers are my new normal. I have a chemically induced stress test tomorrow to see if the ticker can handle the hip replacement. I think it's BS cuz my heart has withstood much worse a few times while paying dues to the Senior Citizen Club.
    The good news part of that is I get to take my great grandkids for outings on the Spyder and the hip replacement will happen after they are in school.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Thanks
    Poasttown
    30 years on bikes 10 years off and now on an F3-S for a year with 6k or so up and it gets easier . Did numerous track days and Kieth codes' Superbike school numerous times
    So might be a little bit more of a struggle to get used to 3 wheels but I got the SM6 so still can shift . For me I miss the front brake the most , that is the limiting factor for me
    scooting round the backroads quick .You just don't get the precision with your foot as you can with your hand . Muscle memory is hard to overcome even after so long off 2 wheels.
    Will get the ISCS front brake conversion as Yea its a keeper and should keep me in the wind and be as close to two wheels as I can get .
    Its not that you don't you yourself lean into a corner its just a different sensation you need to overcome . If you just hang on you will be forced to the outside (your body) and that gets tiring quick , So if you lean into the corner and weight your opposite foot you can get pretty good rhythm thru the corners . No you will never keep up with a experienced sportbike rider on a real twisty road as it takes too much effort throwing the bike around . I figure I can get within 85% of my buddy on his multistrada b4 I call uncle but can have fun at 80% all day long . The worst is missing lanesplitting when stuck in traffic . Still best way to get back out on the road and get wet

Spyder Garage

I rode dirt bikes from a teenager till my mid 30's, and have rode sleds since my teenage years, in any event I bought a used 2014 Honda CBX last year so I could have something to bomb around on locally and run dirt backroads up north, well my only issue with the Honda is that my wife would not get on the back of that bike..... Anyhow several years ago we test rode an RT at a local dealership and while she really liked it I was just OK with it, well when one of my sledding buds was showing us an on-line Spyder brochure on a sled trip this past March I took a liking to the F3L and showed the pics to my wife when I got home and she liked it so I bought a 2018 carryover.

Well now I have just under 3,000 miles on it and I like it!! It's a lot like riding a sled except that you can't side saddle thru the corners as easily as you can on a sled, and like everyone else has said "relax the grip"
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome