Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Transition from 2 wheels to 3

I am not a Can-Am owner, but I am seriously considering one. I have been riding for over 50 years, but age and arthritis are catching up to me. I rode a Goldwing for about 25 years, but about 5 years ago it was clear that I needed to downsize. It just got too big and I could no longer get it up on the center stand or even push it around the garage. I bought the newly introduced Honda CTX 700 with ABS and DCT (BTW, that DCT is awesome. Honda really got it right). However, I am no longer confident I can even keep that one upright in all conditions. The riding is no problem but coming to a stop under anything but ideal conditions makes me worry about dropping it. My GF likes riding, but two up is no longer really an option for me. If I want to continue riding, it will have to be on 3 wheels.

So I tried an F3 at the dealer. It felt really unstable, like it would be in the ditch with the slightest excuse. Having been on two wheels so long, I have ingrained reactions. Counter steering is one. When I am riding and the bike drifts a little in the lane, it automatically corrects. I don’t even think about it. On the Can-Am, the drift just got worse, threatening to hit the curb, until I realized what I was doing wrong. When I got the DCT, I found myself reaching for the clutch on stressful stops even more than a year later. A harmless automatic response in that case. However, the wrong automatic response on a Can-Am could be disastrous.

I did not find much to like with the F3, but I could get used to it I suppose. It was much more noisy and rough than I expected. I really hated where they put the mirrors. I have not tried the Ryker yet. It could be a better choice for me.

I know it’s a lengthy post, so thanks for reading this far. When I am riding, I can’t imagine giving it up. But when I have to slow or stop, I know I can’t keep it up much longer. That demo ride was not fun, but maybe I could get used to it and still enjoy riding.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has switched to 3 wheels after decades of riding on two. How bad was the transition? It could not have been easy. Do you find 3 wheels as enjoyable as two? Did you seriously consider no longer riding? I am back and forth on this question.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden two wheels since mini-bikes and now am on 3. The transition from 2 to 3 takes quite a few miles for us 2 wheel guys. I would say after about 1000 miles on my spyder the "weird" feelings disappeared and the brain clicked in. Spyders take a light touch and not the death grip on the bars I started with because of the strange sensations. Reprogramming this old guy not to grab for a non-existent hand brake took some time, too. Remember, all Spyder models can be customized to fit you in many different ways (at a price). Also, some dealer setups have poor alignments out of the box that need correcting. This board is great place for practical advice for someone moving into the Sypder world. I completed my first 2500 mile ride this early summer and the Spyder was comfortable (and nice not worrying at all in slow speed/stop situations).

Spyder Garage

Take the class. That will help. Easy 25% of Spyder people are just like you, coming off two wheels. Many from Gold wings. If the choice is 3 wheels or none,
    Saddle up!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I agree with WisconsinDavid It took a few days of riding to get to where I was a least a bit comfortable. It also took a sway bar to make me totally comfortable. Personally, I do not like the F3 or the Ryker, just not my kind of riding position. If you are a Goldwing guy, try a RT, I think you will like it more, and I am SURE your passenger will.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

It is as if I wrote your post 7 years ago. A lifetime on 2 wheels but with a failing body. I was always frightened, like you, when stopping at a red light or stop sign.
    I test rode a Spyder twice. First time I hated it (2008 GS one) & was all over the road. Next time was 4 years later & it was an automatic RT (2012 one). I liked that one but couldn't afford it. I took a huge gamble & bought a used 2008 GS in 2012. It was either buy a Spyder or give up riding.
    I was very awkward on it for that entire 1st summer, but now in my 7th summer it is all second nature to me & has extended my riding years (will be 80 in a month)
    I had to do a lot to the GS to make it comfortable for me but all is great now.

Try other Spyders. Don't give up yet. I turned 40,000km on it today.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

+1 on responses above...
    I switched from a 2-wheel cruiser about a year and a half ago...I'd say it took me a few months and a few hundred miles to begin feeling like I didn't make a big, expensive mistake!
    If you can find a 3-wheel class near you (check via www.msf-usa.org), it's a cheap way ($99 discounted) to find out if you really like it.

Good luck!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the club. There is a learning curve. Most people take 500 miles or so before becoming comfortable. You do not countersteer a Spyder...there is no lean so the front wheels need to be turned in the direction of travel.

I am going to add a helpful link: Do's and don'ts of the Spyder.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

+1 on all the advice above. For me, there were two transition points. The first was about 500 miles, when I stopped feeling like I was going off the Spyder on the corners. The second was about 1,500 miles, when I suddenly realized that I had stopped thinking about it and was just riding. I too came from many years on 2 wheels.

Two years down the Spyder road, I just returned from a 5,600 mile cross country trip. I had a great time revisiting my favorite places for the first time on 3 wheels, and the curves were as much fun as ever! Plus, I didn't stress out in gravel and didn't have to worry about getting stuck in slanted parking slots!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

I agree with all he comments above. I'm 68 season years old.
    I rode a Honda ST1300 and traded for a Suzuki VStrom 650.
    Began to fear the weight and balance on 2 wheels.
    Gave up 2 wheels and bought a 2013 Spyder STS. It took 1000 miles before
    I loosened my grip and became at ease with the ride. Now I love long tours.
    Got a laser alignment and a BajaRon Sway bar. Both offer vast improvements to the ride.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I have ridden two wheels since mini-bikes and now am on 3. The transition from 2 to 3 takes quite a few miles for us 2 wheel guys. I would say after about 1000 miles on my spyder the "weird" feelings disappeared and the brain clicked in. Spyders take a light touch and not the death grip on the bars I started with because of the strange sensations. Reprogramming this old guy not to grab for a non-existent hand brake took some time, too. Remember, all Spyder models can be customized to fit you in many different ways (at a price). Also, some dealer setups have poor alignments out of the box that need correcting. This board is great place for practical advice for someone moving into the Sypder world. I completed my first 2500 mile ride this early summer and the Spyder was comfortable (and nice not worrying at all in slow speed/stop situations).
    Other than the mini bike statement, I agree with WD. It took me about 1,000 miles also. I couldn’t justify the price of a brand new Spyder either, but the dealer had a used 2014 RT that I took for a test drive and wound up buying it, and have not looked back. You ask if I like it as much as my two wheeler. My answer to that is NO. It should not be compared to a two wheeler, it’s a different machine. It has 3 wheels, not 2. Do I like it? YES! Do I miss my Wing? YES! Would I like to have my Wing again? Of course, if I could still handle it safely. Will I give up my RT-S? In a pigs eye! I’m still out there getting my W I N D T H E R A P Y!

Try an RT......anything from 2014 and newer.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Go for it!!
    Last edited by cptjam; 07-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

My wife made the switch to a 2018 RTL last August. She had about 150,000 miles on two wheels in 9 years. It took here about 1,000 miles to get used to the Spyder. I added the Baja Ron sway bar and bump skid.

I ride the Spyder occasionally and haven't had any issues riding it. Just have a "can do" attitude and you will be successful.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Buy it, you will eventually like it. You can tell by my signature that I have been on two wheels a long, long time. Got my F3L last February and have put less than 500 miles on it due to life happening while I was making other plans.
    + If there is a class near, take it.
    + Give yourself time to overcome the different inputs your body and brain receive.
    + Get on this forum regularly and you will learn much about handling, maintenance (at 82 yo, I intend to do all my own) and aftermarket goodies that will make the Spyder experience better.
    + Buy the one that you are most comfortable on and remember, saddles can be modified by a customizer (my choice) or there are aftermarket off-the-shelf ones.
    + At first, it will be like going to school, then it will start to be fun and you'll be twisting the throttle more. That's where I'm at.
    + Good hunting and good luck.
    ONE MORE THING; I'm having a helluva time overcoming the bike leaning right on left curves. At first, my brain said, We're gonna die! It's getting better though.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Rode 2 wheels all my life - transition to a Ryker at 76 years old was a breeze!

Spyder Garage

Recently bought an F3 Limited and its my first 3 wheeler. It was a shock during the test ride but I kind of new it would take some getting use to. It really does take time to get the hang of it. I find that the more I relax my grip, the easier it rides. Also, the wife really likes this setup way more than any bike I ever owned. She feels very stable on it.

I've been bitt3n and loving it.

I hope you find a way to continue riding... Good luck.
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1988 Kawasaki - EX500 Ninja
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    1998 Honda - VFR800 Interceptor
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Bitten by the Spyder Bug
    2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Been on two wheels over 50 years as well and still have one in the garage for solo rides. I spent most of my years on sport and sport touring machines and my first Spyder ride was a nightmare. I bought it anyway and used all lanes of the four lane highway getting it home. Probably got some berm and grass in there too. Like others it took me around 1000 miles to feel comfortable and relaxed on the RT. It will come, just give it time.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Just some quick driving advice that helped me. Try and almost lock your elbow on the outside of the turn. This keeps your shoulders upright and weight to the inside. You will be able to tell how much to turn. At first I was just turning a little and with the opposite body roll I thought I was turning more then I was hence the running wide and high heart rate moments. This is what led me to get real comfortable and confidant about being able to place the spyder where I wanted it to go.

Spyder Garage

Same story, wanted to ride but knew 2 was not going to work for me any longer. Four weeks today on a 2014 RT S 92A54211-3AA3-4871-918C-08C137D8C661.jpg been smiling for 600 miles now. Still learning characteristics and capabilities. Will now ride 3 into the sun set.

Spyder Garage

I understand - I'd still be riding 2 wheels, but the wife won't get on bikes anymore due to her health issues, so I was down to commuting, so I pretty much stopped riding. After talking about it some, she said she'd be willing to try a trike. She tried the F3 and the RT, and much prefers the seat on the RT.

I test rode a 2010 RT, and honestly if I'd let that make my decision, I'd not be riding now. Same as you, within a half mile or so, I was thinking I'd turn around and take it back. But I forced myself to relax some and give it more of a try. I will say, the 998 does not agree with me. Also, the handling was strange, and I had to be very conscious of what I was doing. But after a few miles, I managed to get it up to speed on the highway and it wasn't bad.

After posting my experience here, and hearing what others had to say - mostly positive - I decided to go for it anyway despite my first trial run. So I found a 2014 RT-S on iMotorsports, and a month later it was sitting in my driveway. As everyone has said, it's a transition. I took my time, mostly riding the neighborhood and back roads, but within a week or two, I was on the highway at 70 and enjoying the ride.

Do I still wish I had 2 wheels? Maybe every now and then, but for the most part the transition has been great, and I love pushing the RT and finding where Nanny's limits are.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    I am not a Can-Am owner, but I am seriously considering one. I have been riding for over 50 years, but age and arthritis are catching up to me. I rode a Goldwing for about 25 years, but about 5 years ago it was clear that . . . .

. . . . . I would really like to hear from anyone who has switched to 3 wheels after decades of riding on two. How bad was the transition? It could not have been easy. Do you find 3 wheels as enjoyable as two? Did you seriously consider no longer riding? I am back and forth on this question.
    I think maybe I can identify 100% with your situation. I started riding motorcycles in 1968 and by 1980 had been through a few bikes logging just over 100K miles. Then following a surgery I had to sell the last bike to help pay medical bills. Fast forward to 2000 and I finally had a good enough job and renewed desire to ride again. I purchased a 1999 BMW R1200C and sort of went bat-crap crazy making up for those lost 20 years. Since that purchase, I have now accumulated another 350K miles on two wheels.

Then on a fall trip to Las Vegas, NM in 2017, a low speed maneuver that used to be no problem for me nearly ended in disaster. I was making a very tight U-turn on a narrow road and let the bike get too far over with my wife on the back and we went down; fortunately it was almost a slow motion event and we sustained no injuries other than my bruised ego. I learned a couple of things from that; 1. My reflexes were no longer as sharp as they once were. 2. I knew it was probably time to pull the trigger on either a side-car rig or a Spyder. We had been looking at Spyders for a while after my wife said that since I had gotten my first sport bike for my 60th B-day, it was her turn and showed me a picture of a royal blue Spyder she liked. What could I say; we signed up here and on a couple of Spyder Facebook pages a few months later and started our research. The initial fervor died down shortly and we didn't give it much more thought until that incident in NM. The search started again with a bit stronger resolve as I did not want either of us getting hurt due to my diminishing physical abilities. Like you, I am dealing with arthritis and very weak and painful hips. Rather than take more chances with mine and her health, we bought a used Spyder just a couple of months after the NM trip.

With that long winded intro out of the way, I feel the Spyder will eventually be the only thing I can ride safely. For now, though, I still ride motorcycles when going solo and when going two up we take the Spyder. If my wife ever gets enough stamina to ride alone on the Spyder for more than an hour we will consider taking a bike and the Spyder on some longer rides. I have found the Spyder to be a lot of fun but not nearly as much fun as two wheels. I'm thinking I will eventually adapt though. I do know the Spyder is far more comfortable and less fatiguing than any of my bikes have ever been which allows for longer days in the saddle.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the replies,seems we all have had the same experience, at 71 years old I made the decision 2 weeks ago used f3s , 600 miles of backroad morning rides adjustable windscreen I am getting more comfortable with it,beginning to relax now.I bought a used one with 1500 miles on so if I made a mistake I could resale without too much loss. I am making a permanent spot for it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride both. It does take a while to get the hang of the spyder but now I can switch rides without thinking about it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Brother, I feel for you!

Just this spring I made the decision to go from a big tourer (Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero) that I loved to a three-wheeler (2016 F3-T Spyder) for exactly the reasons you cite. (Interestingly, I also tried out a CTX 700--my wife's ride--and came to the same conclusion that you did.)

A year ago I had tested a Spyder F3 and found it scarily skitterish, just as you did. I remember that at the end of the test ride I was mightily relieved to climb back on my two-wheeler. Since then, though, I had it driven home very thoroughly that it was going to be three wheels or no riding, so I threw for the used F3-T, trading in BOTH my two-wheelers in the deal to be sure I had burned my bridges.

Two weeks ago I returned from my first rally on the three-wheeler, and have logged around 700-800 miles so far. I can tell you this: it gets better. I have not fully mastered the new ride yet. I am still fighting the same ingrained but now incorrect instincts that others have cited, but I have reached the point at which if I don't think about what I am doing, it all goes well.

Unfortunately I still think about what I am doing about half the time, but pretty clearly this will correct itself as time goes by and the miles pile up. There is hope!

And good on you for finding this forum. It seems to be a really good one, welcoming and informative. Good luck when you pull the trigger on your new ride!

Spyder Garage

After 5 decades on 2 wheels I learned that there is more to turning than countersteering. At Laguna Seca I marveled at how smoothly Valentino Rossi shifted his weight in transition from left to right turns--- SO smoothly. I also learned to ski------- so-----
    Be smooth. Push on the outside floorboard / foot peg and lean to the inside of the turn. I'm as fast on my on a tight mountain road as I am on my V-Max. ( But not in a straight line)

Best of luck,
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm currently 68 and in 2015 I purchased a 2015 RT Limited. My story is similar to yours and my getting used to the Spyder is about the same as everyone else. I went from hate to love. You will get used to it and my guess is you will love it giving it a month or so. I now put more miles on my Spyder than I ever did a 2-wheel bike and I love riding more than ever, and I make much longer rides. Everyone told me this would be the case, but I was doubtful. They were right.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.