Spyder Garage

Default 17 F3 LTD Rear Air Bag Removal

Has anyone removed the air bag system when installing the Elka Rear shock?
    Was there a difference in ride smoothness.
    Thanks,
    Rod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i installed the m2 shocks and only running 10 lbs in air bag there is really no need to remove it

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    i installed the m2 shocks and only running 10 lbs in air bag there is really no need to remove it
    … The AirBag is there as a back-up to your shock …. A 110 lb rider doesn't really need any air in the bag, for a smooth c/ comfortable ride …. the more you weigh the more pressure you should add ….. I don't think the air bag Requires any air to remain safe from damage …. check owners' manual for this ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Do i have this right, AirBag is not adjustable on my 18 f3 ltd!

Spyder Garage

Hi Airborne,

It is more like Self Adjusting.
    When you Add weight to the bike, like a passenger, and the suspension compress's and lowers the rear of the bike, a sensor sees that the rear of the bike is too low.
    This turns on a compressor and adjusts the air in the bag to raise back to normal ride height.
    If the passenger gets off, the rear of the bike raises, and the sensor see's it is too high, and releases a little air to bring the rear down to normal ride height.

While replacing my shocks, I completely removed the air bag / compressor assembly from my F3 LTD, as the new shock allows easy manual adjustment for adding weight or adjusting suspension preferences, with out the air bag assembly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRod View Post
    Hi Airborne,

It is more like Self Adjusting.
    When you Add weight to the bike, like a passenger, and the suspension compress's and lowers the rear of the bike, a sensor sees that the rear of the bike is too low.
    This turns on a compressor and adjusts the air in the bag to raise back to normal ride height.
    If the passenger gets off, the rear of the bike raises, and the sensor see's it is too high, and releases a little air to bring the rear down to normal ride height.

While replacing my shocks, I completely removed the air bag / compressor assembly from my F3 LTD, as the new shock allows easy manual adjustment for adding weight or adjusting suspension preferences, with out the air bag assembly.
    Thanks for that, but i cant change a set air pressure myself, such as putting air in a tire!

Spyder Garage

The air bag is the rear suspension spring and it supports the sprung weight of the machine, rider, passenger, and gear, the job of the shock is to control the movement of the spring with damping and rebound control.

The damping and rebound adjustments on a shock are for making adjustments to the surface conditions that a machine is travelling over, why anyone would remove a spring from there suspension is beyond me, but hey whatever flips your trigger
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome