Spyder Garage

Default What size & brand of Rear tire for a 2015 RT?

We need to replace the rear tire on our 2015 RT. Are there other sizes that fit without ANY issues than the 225/50R15? Any suggestions on brands?
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

I'm running the Vredestein 205/60R15 and it has a very slightly larger rollout than the 225/50R15 OEM tire. Corrects 50% of the speedo error.

Others swear by the Yokahama S Drive in 205/55-15 size.

Others favor the General Altimax RT43 in 215/60R15.

Any of these are far better than the OEM tire, which is Chinese garbage.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Are there any issues with the different tire size? Does anything need to be modified? Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

I have the Altimax. After 15000 miles it still looks new. Great in the rain.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at that.

Spyder Garage

I am happy with my Altimax. At 20,000 miles it still looks good and handles heavy rain well. No modifications or alterations needed with the exception of the PSI. There are lots of posts here about different tires and the pressures to run. I run 22 psi in mine which is a bit more than many others, but it works well for me. I went with the Federals on the front and I actually spent less for these three tires than the dealer wanted for just the rear Kenda. I'll never go back.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    We need to replace the rear tire on our 2015 RT. Are there other sizes that fit without ANY issues than the 225/50R15? Any suggestions on brands?
    Thanks in advance.
    we are very pleased with the Yokohama AVID Envigor in 205/65/15. It delivers 100% speedometer correction and great traction to boot.

While not 100% perfect UTQG rating is something you should look at when choosing tires: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/utqg-rating
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

No modification needed or issues with any of the sizes mentioned. You have your choice of lots of different tires..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all that took the time to reply.

Spyder Garage

Just ordered VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 205/65R15 for 99.89 with tax from TireRack.com ordered 5 mins ago will be delivered tomorrow.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Lamonster put a yokohama on for me. my speedo is now 100% and I am very happy.

Spyder Garage

I am not sure if I am in need for a replacement rear tire. Maybe someone can suggest or wait. Does the measuring with a coin in the tread work, or is that a myth? FYI, the front two look fine for now even though they are Kenda's.

My 2014 ST-S SE5 has 4,560 miles on a Kenda MC 225/50R15 76H. The low mileage is due to life things preventing me from riding much the past four years. During that time, she has been in a garage with ambient temps and regular maintenance, etc. So, I have been taking care of her regardless.

I noticed the center of the tire has worn more than the edges, and from what I read it was due to over inflating...is that correct? I check my PSI often and usually right on the mark. I do ride a bit hard, so maybe I should go down a bit PSI...?

20190726_233540.jpg 20190726_233548.jpg

So, between sitting up more than riding past four years and then hard riding when I could ride and possibly over inflating (?) I might need a replacement.

I've been reading posts about tires, and there are comments I do not know the meaning. Can someone please tell me what these mean?

Vredestein 205/60R15 ("it has a very slightly larger rollout and Corrects 50% of the speedo error")
    What is speedo (speedodmeter) error?
    What is larger rollout?

I've made a list of what's been suggested for the RT's in this post...I'll have to check if they'll fit the ST-S:

Vredestein 205/60R15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 205/65R15
    Yokahama S Drive in 205/55-15 size
    General Altimax RT43 in 215/60R15 (noted still looks great and still grips well in the rain with high mileage)
    Yokohama AVID Envigor in 205/65/15. It delivers 100% speedometer correction and great traction to boot.

I don't know if I want a harder or softer tire...not sure which is better for the harder faster riders for take off and stopping and grip. Then there's the UTQG rating, etc.. I wish I had the luxury of purchasing one of each suggested and then deciding which I like better...LOL..

Should I just choose the one with the better UTQG rating? Should I be concerned with the tread pattern and if it makes a difference? How do I tell if one is softer than the other (vice-versa). Should I replace all three to ensure matching or does matching matter?

Maybe I should make a poll and then purchase the tire voters liked the most...hmm..

Thanks for your help and putting up with me.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Tire Time? You have listed some good tires. Pick one for the rear end and go for it. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As to your KENDA … it is a very weak tire - PERIOD ….. As has been reported here by hundreds of users there is no psi that can get it to last longer …… I & others here recommend the Quatrac 5 in that size - and 17 to 18 psi should work best …...….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Like Mike said the stock tire is rather "weak". In that it's a 2 ply tire, roughly meaning it's thin. Because the tread is thin it balloons in the middle and inflation pressure really doesn't matter, they just do when they get warm. Some people will run the stock tire until the edge is bald and the center is on cords under the mistaken impression that the wear bars on the side are the controlling factor. They are not. The center of the tire is the contact patch and is what matters the most. Your tires need to be replaced. Period. As to what you choose to replace them with, there's tons of advice and threads about it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THE kENDA"S!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Like Mike said the stock tire is rather "weak". In that it's a 2 ply tire, roughly meaning it's thin. Because the tread is thin it balloons in the middle and inflation pressure really doesn't matter, they just do when they get warm. Some people will run the stock tire until the edge is bald and the center is on cords under the mistaken impression that the wear bars on the side are the controlling factor. They are not. The center of the tire is the contact patch and is what matters the most. Your tires need to be replaced. Period. As to what you choose to replace them with, there's tons of advice and threads about it.
    Yes, do a search. This site is literally an encyclopedia of knowledge especially on basic issues of oil, tires and maintenance if folks would just extract the info and questions already given and answered.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue