Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Just about all OEM recommendations have a generous safety factor built in. You can exceed the recommendations and usually get away with it, but after you go past the manufacturer recommendation you are working with out a net.
    ONLY if you are still within the warranty period.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Just about all OEM recommendations have a generous safety factor built in. You can exceed the recommendations and usually get away with it, but after you go past the manufacturer recommendation you are working with out a net.
    I wonder about this. Especially with the 1330 motors. Sometimes the bean counters override the engineers.

The service interval on the 1330 is 9,300 miles. This, using the same motor oil that is recommended for the 998 models. From a fair amount of testing, we found that the BRP blended oil began to shear quite rapidly from 4,500 miles to 5,000 miles. It is also interesting that the service interval on the 998 is 4,500 miles. A prudent mileage given the testing figures.

From the independent oil analysis I've seen, the blended BRP oil service life runs about the same in the 1330 as it did in the 998. Which is not surprising. The results I've seen show the BRP blended oil shearing down to about a 20w oil between 5,000 & 5,500 miles. It does not appear to lose any more viscosity once it reaches the 20w point. But that means you're running a 20w, not a 40w as recommended, for about 4,000 miles with the recommended service interval. Is the 1330 fine with a 20w oil? If so, why recommend a 40w spec.?

There was a lot of pressure on BRP to extend the service interval with the new design. This extended service interval is prominently touted in the Spyder sales information.

Just interesting bits of information that really have no definitive answer that I know of to date.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-22-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't switch to full synthetic after a reasonable break in period, I certainly will.
    this seams like the best plan my experience has been that syn oil is almost to good and won't let enough wear for break in of rings ,the ryker not sharing oil with a tranny and wet clutch will be easier on oil but of course the length of miles per start is what really determines the break down of oil , not for a real question that I was ask when I was talking up amsoil. Show me a picture of an amsoil refinery I don't know weather they do or don't but the point is that many oils are just a label
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    this seams like the best plan my experience has been that syn oil is almost to good and won't let enough wear for break in of rings ,the ryker not sharing oil with a tranny and wet clutch will be easier on oil but of course the length of miles per start is what really determines the break down of oil , not for a real question that I was ask when I was talking up amsoil. Show me a picture of an amsoil refinery I don't know weather they do or don't but the point is that many oils are just a label
    I don't know about just a label. I can tell you from real world riding and oil analysis that the BRP blend oil loses viscosity pretty fast in the 998. Mobil 1 10W40 was at 8,600 when I had it analyzed and showed loss of viscosity. The results with Amsoil at 9,666 miles showed no loss of viscosity and a recommendation to try running the oil to 12,000 miles on the next change. To be honest I was quite surprised the Amsoil did much better than the Mobil 1. 2016 F3L using Blackstone labs. Maybe I'll try the Spectro next.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    You are right. There is no Amsoil refinery. Nor is there a Ford, Chevy Toyota or BRP refinery. Refineries are like steel mills. They produce the basic products that customers ask for. From cheap steel to very high quality, expensive products. Sometimes all you need is cheap steel to get the job done. The problem comes when you use cheap steel when a higher quality is needed.

Refineries make the base product. Individual suppliers like Castrol, Penzoil, Amsoil, etc., using the various quality and grades of the base oil they choose, make alterations to get the final product. Just like Chevy may take a plate of steel and make a fender out of it. And another company will take that same plate of steel and make something completely different with it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-29-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've been using AMSOIL for 20 years now. 20k interval in my cars and trucks. 10k or once per year in everything else, bikes, trikes, lawn, garden and tractor equipment. Heat is the biggest determent of oil. Oils main job is to remove heat from parts. That's why you should use a full synthetic oil on any air cooled engine. Fact is, jet engines will not work (for long) with dino oil. All jet and turbine engines require full synthetic oils.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I looked up Amsoil for these Spyders. Am I correct when I see a list price of $14 bucks a quart and we need 5 quarts?

Also where are you guys buying your Oil filters? And do I need an air filter as well?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I looked up Amsoil for these Spyders. Am I correct when I see a list price of $14 bucks a quart and we need 5 quarts?

Also where are you guys buying your Oil filters? And do I need an air filter as well?
    I carry Amsoil and filter kits. I sell Amsoil at my actual dealer price. I don't make anything on the oil. So total cost varies by where you live and how much you get. But an average is $13.00 per quart delivered for 5 quarts and $11.00 per quart for 1 case (12 quarts). I do make money on the filter kits. But I try to price them fairly.

A typical price for a full service oil and filter set is less than what you'll pay for a BRP package deal if you purchase 2 sets at a time. I figure, if you're going to use them anyway. Why not save the money? Amsoil has proven, over and over, in independent analysis, to be far superior to anything BRP offers.

You can see these items here on my Banner Ad Page. Not the only way to go, of course. But these are the products I use and have had tested. So I can recommend them with confidence.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I may be switching to a 10w40 full synthetic next season as I already have numerous quarts on hand that I had purchased for my Honda Shadow and my Suzuki Dr650 before I sold them

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Just curious! I certainly will. In addition, I think I will be able to safely increase change interval to 9,000 miles doing thusly. :mrgreen:
    I switched to full synthetic oil after my first oil change. I have been using the full synthetic oil ever since. I am using Valvoline 4T 10w -40 Full Synthetic. I have not had any problems.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO based on way too many years experience and no offence intended, dumb question, what possible reason would you not consider using full Synthetic. I can not think of any reason.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    From the independent oil analysis I've seen, the blended BRP oil service life runs about the same in the 1330 as it did in the 998. Which is not surprising. The results I've seen show the BRP blended oil shearing down to about a 20w oil between 5,000 & 5,500 miles. It does not appear to lose any more viscosity once it reaches the 20w point. But that means you're running a 20w, not a 40w as recommended, for about 4,000 miles with the recommended service interval. Is the 1330 fine with a 20w oil? If so, why recommend a 40w spec.?
    I have a habit of reading between the lines, sort of like thinking "outside the box".

Therefore: Is BRP recommending a 40w oil because it needs a 40w oil, or could it possibly be that the engine really only needs a 20w oil, and BRP knows that their 40w breaks down to 20w, so that is what they recommend?

Expiring minds want to know.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, pure synthetic, definitely.
    No, on 9000 mile intervals.
    I am going 6000 mile intervals on my Triumph Street Twin with pure synthetic, but at the same speed it's cruising about 3000 RPMs less than the Ryker.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...nance-Schedule

Ryker oil, even pure synthetic, was dirty enough at 5000 miles.

Just my two cents
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Motul was recommended to me for my Ducati, so that's what I've used. It's a synthetic with great reviews on youtube. When it's time, I'll use it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I m not switching to full synthetic. Hapy with the BRP synthetic blend. Change the oil once a year every 6000k.

Spyder Garage

There is always a debate on which oil is better, what viscosity is better, full or semi synthetic, etc. How many Spyders will get ridden enuff miles for any of that to come into play anyway. My bet would be ANY good oil, that meets the minimum specs, will carry the engine well in excess of 100,000 miles following the recommended change cycle.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Two Years Ago 2019 Now 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I may be switching to a 10w40 full synthetic next season as I already have numerous quarts on hand that I had purchased for my Honda Shadow and my Suzuki Dr650
    before I sold them
    All very helpful information. Enjoy your reading, but this post was started ......07/21/2019. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

These are our toys....and this is how we play .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Motul was recommended to me for my Ducati, so that's what I've used. It's a synthetic with great reviews on youtube. When it's time, I'll use it.
    Motoul 7100 is excellent oil. My Moto Guzzi 7II stipulated 10W60 and Motoul 7100 served very well, riding in temperatures up to 116 F (47C).
    It had a separate trans. The engine only held 2 liters.

6_months_4900_miles_at_Red_Rock.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Construction tech View Post
    I m not switching to full synthetic. Hapy with the BRP synthetic blend. Change the oil once a year every 6000k.
    Whether you purchase Amsoil from Ron for $11 a quart, Castrol from O'Reillys for $10 a quart ($10.99 not on sale?) or any other major brand that you prefer, pure synthetic is little, if any, difference in price over synthetic blend.
    Also, 10W-40 is only rated up to 104F
    In the southwest USA, using 10W-50 is important for summer ambient. It performed well in my 2014 Honda CB1100, 2020 Ryker and now my 2022 Triumph.

I well remember Harley-Davidson dismissing pure synthetic, citing "bearing skate" as a concern...because H-D did not yet have their private label available.
    If it is so slippery that a bearing won't turn, then how could a bearing develop flat spots?!? Just being sarcastic towards H-D, especially since they discontinued Sportster models that I liked.

May not be an issue for Spyders, but the Ryker, with CVT trans, is cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs.

Spyder Garage

First change went to my standard Rotella blue jug.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

While I appreciate all the petroleum engineers on this site, I am keep with the MFG recommendations for my Ryker.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    While I appreciate all the petroleum engineers on this site, I am keep with the MFG recommendations for my Ryker.
    oil.JPG

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Whether you purchase Amsoil from Ron for $11 a quart, Castrol from O'Reillys for $10 a quart ($10.99 not on sale?) or any other major brand that you prefer, pure synthetic is little, if any, difference in price over synthetic blend.
    Also, 10W-40 is only rated up to 104F
    In the southwest USA, using 10W-50 is important for summer ambient. It performed well in my 2014 Honda CB1100, 2020 Ryker and now my 2022 Triumph.

I well remember Harley-Davidson dismissing pure synthetic, citing "bearing skate" as a concern...because H-D did not yet have their private label available.
    If it is so slippery that a bearing won't turn, then how could a bearing develop flat spots?!? Just being sarcastic towards H-D, especially since they discontinued Sportster models that I liked.

May not be an issue for Spyders, but the Ryker, with CVT trans, is cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs.
    I appreciate the comment but i dont buy oil by the quart… i buy the kit that BRP sells with filters and o-rings and i get a good discount since i m military in Canada where our climate is a little different than Nevada… this is what the BRP reccommends and happy with it��*♂️

Spyder Garage

It still amazes me how tires and oil can get everyone twisted up in a ball like it dose, no matter how old the tread is!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl