Thread: Midnight ride

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Midnight ride

It's darn HOT in the northeast which is a bit unusual ….. Now in my old age ( 72 ) and with differing sleep patterns … I decided to take a ride on the back roads ( paved and unpaved ) just because it was still pretty hot out …. How refreshing it was , nice smells in the air , no traffic, just me , my RT and of course the Sirius XM …. For the most part kept it around 30-40 mph …. did 35 + miles and came back quite refreshed …. The LED headlights make a world of difference, good beam spread and distance ….. didn't see any ground critters big or small, but I did spook a rather large owl, which brought a flashback of the wild Turkey that hit me in Mo. in the Mark Twain forest .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's darn HOT in the northeast which is a bit unusual ….. Now in my old age ( 72 ) and with differing sleep patterns … I decided to take a ride on the back roads ( paved and unpaved ) just because it was still pretty hot out …. How refreshing it was , nice smells in the air , no traffic, just me , my RT and of course the Sirius XM …. For the most part kept it around 30-40 mph …. did 35 + miles and came back quite refreshed …. The LED headlights make a world of difference, good beam spread and distance ….. didn't see any ground critters big or small, but I did spook a rather large owl, which brought a flashback of the wild Turkey that hit me in Mo. in the Mark Twain forest .......... Mike
    You got hit by a bottle of whiskey...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rode our Spyder to work Wednesday and Thursday. I work 3-11, so I leave at 1:40 PM and get home at 11:45 PM. It was 84° when I got home Thursday night and VERY humid.

I spent Friday morning getting my new Vredstein tires mounted and by the time I had everything buttoned up, I was too hot to ride the Spyder. Took another shower and drove the truck to work with the AC on full blast. Got transferred to a new job in the new plant last Monday. Hate the new job but it is in a temperature controlled building. That means AC! Thank goodness.

Yes, Mike, I agree about the late night riding. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with the OEM headlights. If you do, you run the risk of getting an unwanted hood ornament!
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-20-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Darn auto correct!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    No Pete it was a REAL wild turkey , it felt like it weighed about 50 lbs, and know it wasn't even close to that weight …. but it almost knocked me off my RT …. it actually got between my windshield and my chest ….. not a pleasant feeling ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Rode our Spyder to work Wednesday and Thursday. I work 3-11, so I leave at 1:40 PM and get home at 11:45 PM. It was 84° when I got home Thursday night and VERY humid.

I spent Friday morning getting my new Vredstein tires mounted and by the time I had everything buttoned up, I was too hot to ride the Spyder. Took another shower and drove the truck to work with the AC on full blast. Got transferred to a new job in the new plant last Monday. Hate the new job but it is in a temperature controlled building. That means AC! Thank goodness.

Yes, Mike, I agree about the late night riding. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with the OEM headlights. If you do, you run the risk of getting an unwanted hood ornament!
    I know and agree …. that was why I mentioned My LED's …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah !!!

Great time to Ryde. Do enjoy it from time to time and grocery shopping at that time similarly nice I pick up some ice cream on the way home...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When I take the Spyder to work, which is around 3:00 am for me, I find it is the best time to cruise on my 20 mile trek to work. It is cooler, no traffic and just a peaceful ride. I sometimes blast the stereo to try scare off any road critters. The deer is what I have to watch for the most. I did have a black bear cross in front of me once a while back.

Spyder Garage

You're lucky it didn't bust you up or worse, toms can easily go 30+ lbs.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

What a great idea. Now that we are where it gets dark about 9:00 PM or so. We have miles and miles of country road just outside our fence. We did it yesterday on the bikes during the day. Nighttime just might be very interesting.

Time to look at glo ryders again too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One thing I do is to tilt my head back just enough to block the light from the digital display with the bottom of my modular helmet. It helps to see better down the road without the glare distracting me.

On that note, is it possible to adjust the digital display beyond what the sensor does automatically? Or does anyone know of a source for tinted material that could be trimmed and he placed over it to darken it so the glare isn't as bad?

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Yes you can adjust the contrast. I adjust mine to zero at night. Once you shut off and then turn it back on my goes to default of 40. I like.riding at night.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Funny as heck!

On the flip side,

it's one of my main concerns when riding in the wee hours. Not being hit by the bottle but, the consumer of.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post

I know and agree …. that was why I mentioned My LED's …… Mike
    Since it was mentioned twice, what LED package gives the best light spread with the stock buckets? Is the can bus system involved in any way in the upgrade to LED's? I don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Since it was mentioned twice, what LED package gives the best light spread with the stock buckets? Is the can bus system involved in any way in the upgrade to LED's? I don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak.
    Personally went with Can AM's offering. Not cheap but every once in a while you'll find a deal. Others install their own.....ballast location is key if you go that way. Many posts can be found on the subject, just look back in the 2010 to 2013 years when you search.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

No Pete it was a REAL wild turkey , it felt like it weighed about 50 lbs, and know it wasn't even close to that weight …. but it almost knocked me off my RT …. it actually got between my windshield and my chest ….. not a pleasant feeling ….. Mike
    I've been hit in the forehead by a big June Bug while I was riding 65 mph--It really hurt & I had a red lump the next day. Riding without eye protection would be very dangerous. Average weight of the male wild turkey is approx 20 lbs-----at 65 mph a 20 lb punch could render one unconscious--Mike -you were lucky you stayed on the Spyder. & keep the liquid Wild Turkey in your saddlebag.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Yes you can adjust the contrast. I adjust mine to zero at night. Once you shut off and then turn it back on my goes to default of 40. I like.riding at night.
    ….. I like my night screen at zero also …. I' think mine ( 2014 RT ) stays that way …. I'll have to check …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have TricLeds and they don't have a ballast - just plug n play ….. nice light spread ….. and distance …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I've been hit in the forehead by a big June Bug while I was riding 65 mph--It really hurt & I had a red lump the next day. Riding without eye protection would be very dangerous. Average weight of the male wild turkey is approx 20 lbs-----at 65 mph a 20 lb punch could render one unconscious--Mike -you were lucky you stayed on the Spyder. & keep the liquid Wild Turkey in your saddlebag.
    Darrell
    … after it hit me I hit the brakes, and slowed until I had full control over all aspects of driving. I go back to see if the Turkey got damaged … I could n;t find it ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm TricLeds name did not get ******* bleeped out!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I am retired as well and have been known to do the same thing. I live for the balmy evenings when I can ride in a short sleeve shirt and feel summer on me. Gotta watch for deer here in East Tennessee though. Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

I got my LED headlights on eBay after the recommendation of Joel the Biker. Not absolutely perfect but they were a HUGE improvement over the OEM headlights. Everything fit inside the cover with no modifications needed. I only wish that they were about 5000°K instead of 6500°K. That would give a whiter light. These are far better than the original lights, they just have a slight tinge of blue to them. Unfortunately, that brand is no longer available. Got them two or three years ago, no problems at all with them.

There is a slight decrease in the ability to pull in distant radio stations but we don't listen to the radio that often while riding. We have listened to iHeart radio on our iPhone and are going to try SiriusXM after we download the app to one of our iPhones. We pay $5.00 for five months for it in the car, so we might as well take full advantage of it!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    Hmmmm TricLeds name did not get ******* bleeped out!
    Yeah, that changed a few weeks ago. I noticed it in my signature.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The "bleep" is off for Tricled.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red