Spyder Garage

Default Buying a spyder long distance

Any tips on using an out of state dealer to buy a new Spyder . Never did a long distance large transaction .
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

IMO the only difference in "long distance" is the temporary tag you would need to ride it back and what your state requires to register a new vehicle and what additional fees you might have to pay, like a road use tax. Other than that the process is the same. Ask about customer experiences here on SL and other forums. Ask a sales person for references from other buyers, check BBB complaints, etc.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, rules vary from state to state. Confirm rules prior to making a purchase or you may end up with problems that are difficult and time consuming to solve. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

If it is a used vehicle, find out if it is "certified vehicle". That can help if there are any immediate problems. I bought a "certified" used Spyder out of state and before I got it home both front shocks were leaking and the rear tire was bald (the dealer had over-inflated it). Because the Spyder was "certified" the dealer bought me new shocks and a new tire. Great dealer who stood behind what they sold even though they were not a Can Am dealer..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

bought my current RT, from I motorsports. Deal was great, it was brought right to my door in an enclosed
    trailer, the temp tag was in with the paper work, it had the extras I had requested already installed...correctly I might add.
    They even included a couple things I wasn't expecting...a set of extra inner hub caps. It was painless.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    Any tips on using an out of state dealer to buy a new Spyder . Never did a long distance large transaction .
    Thanks
    Ran into this while buying my last truck. Shopped around to find the features I wanted, located a unit in Florida. I'm not in Florida, so it would have been an out of state purchase (ended up buying out of state from Tennessee). So in negotiating with the dealership, I found out that for some reason in Florida you are required to pay the Florida sales tax, even if you prove you're from out of state. Every other state I checked on let the dealer waive tax collection, to be paid upon registration in your home state. While there was a way to allegedly recoup the Florida tax, my local license plate office said more often than not you couldn't get the money back and it wasn't worth dealing with Florida as you'd end up paying more taxes. Long story short: Check all conditions of the sale to get the best deal, especially taxation!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

imotorsports--wonderful transaction--purchased/financed through them from jersey all through emails, phone, fax--no problems at all to purchase new F3t last year

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Biggest complication, besides paying for it, is the titling and registration. Don't expect the selling dealer to know or care. The selling state only comes into play obtaining a temporary tag if you're riding it home; they don't collect sales tax from the buyer. Find out from your home state what they will need you to provide in terms of paperwork in order to title and register it there.

That's about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Biggest complication, besides paying for it, is the titling and registration. Don't expect the selling dealer to know or care. The selling state only comes into play obtaining a temporary tag if you're riding it home; they don't collect sales tax from the buyer. Find out from your home state what they will need you to provide in terms of paperwork in order to title and register it there.

That's about it.
    This is very true. Research the state you are purchasing from. I live in Missouri but purchased from Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a title retaining state; meaning they hold the title until it is paid in full. Missouri requires the title to register. It took me over two months to finally get the title to register the bike and I had to pay late fees because Missouri only allows 30 days to register.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Ran into this while buying my last truck. Shopped around to find the features I wanted, located a unit in Florida. I'm not in Florida, so it would have been an out of state purchase (ended up buying out of state from Tennessee). So in negotiating with the dealership, I found out that for some reason in Florida you are required to pay the Florida sales tax, even if you prove you're from out of state. Every other state I checked on let the dealer waive tax collection, to be paid upon registration in your home state. While there was a way to allegedly recoup the Florida tax, my local license plate office said more often than not you couldn't get the money back and it wasn't worth dealing with Florida as you'd end up paying more taxes. Long story short: Check all conditions of the sale to get the best deal, especially taxation!
    …. and because I checked with Fla. DMV, I knew what was coming when I purchased a car ( private seller - not dealer ) I just flew down and brought my Vt Reg plate and attached it to the car and drove home ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info
    Thinking about a 2019 F3 LTD form Imotosport Chicago , i live in FL .

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this thread! I've finally convinced my husband that he needs to join me on 3 wheels, so we're shopping for a second Spyder. There is only one local dealer, so we were thinking about trying to buy elsewhere and have it shipped here (or, if it's not too far, ride it home). We're in SW Virginia. Any other dealers that people recommend for this type of long distance purchase?
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info. Thinking about a 2019 F3 LTD form iMotosport Chicago , i live in FL .
    If you had told us that from the beginning, it would have saved a bunch of responses that didn't address your particular situation, and generated more having to do with that particular dealer.

Just some constructive criticism. Hopefully you will soon have your Spyder and will be ready to ask more questions!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another tale of caution in the out of state/location purchase, as this actually happened to me. I have 2 dealers in my state, so I called both. Browsing so to speak. After the sale, service becomes the single most important factor in ownership. One dealer who is at Gold status on the Can Am find a dealer thing said about out of state purchases "Bring it in, we'll work on anything". They are overrun with work, and it can be a little hard to get your Spyder back when being serviced (mine has been in the shop for 19 days today). The other dealer, rated Silver on the dealer finder said; "We won't work on it if it's not purchased here". Needless to say, I'll never shop at that store. But check on the service aspect at your local dealer, see it they have heartburn over it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Can guarantee you it varies from state to state. I bought mine in Louisiana and registered it in California(perhaps one of the more difficult states to deal with). My advice is that you not 'think' you understand your states laws concerning out of state purchases, but know them to be 'fact'. Due diligence.

I had 0 problems but did my homework before hand. (other than a DMV employee who was unreasonable about verifying its serial number - all went well)

Just an FYI - It's a mistake that could be costly.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Another tale of caution in the out of state/location purchase, as this actually happened to me. I have 2 dealers in my state, so I called both. Browsing so to speak. After the sale, service becomes the single most important factor in ownership. One dealer who is at Gold status on the Can Am find a dealer thing said about out of state purchases "Bring it in, we'll work on anything". They are overrun with work, and it can be a little hard to get your Spyder back when being serviced (mine has been in the shop for 19 days today). The other dealer, rated Silver on the dealer finder said; "We won't work on it if it's not purchased here". Needless to say, I'll never shop at that store. But check on the service aspect at your local dealer, see it they have heartburn over it.
    As far as Dealer " Ratings " go …… it has more to do with number of units sold than quality of Tech service ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As far as Dealer " Ratings " go …… it has more to do with number of units sold than quality of Tech service ….. Mike
    Dealers who sell Spyder's but refuse to work on units they DID NOT sell, need to be called out by name. imo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Dealers who sell Spyder's but refuse to work on units they DID NOT sell, need to be called out by name. imo
    No kidding! So... if I move into the area and bring my Spyder along you won't work on it?
    I would guess that If you brought that to the attention of BRP they would find it ... interesting.

Spyder Garage

IIRC, in FL, they charge an extra fee -round $400 on an old 94 Accord - for out of state registration. This is based on my taking said Accord from SC to FL for the kids. They couldn't afford the title transfer fees FL wanted. But if you buy from iMotorsports, they'll take care of everything for you. I bought from them, but did my own financing and therefore my own paperwork. SC DMV was a bit confused by it at first, partly because of the length of the WV title, but also the sales taxes collected by iMotorsports, and the fact that the cluster had been changed out so the mileage was off. But a bit of research and all is well.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange