Spyder Garage

Default Advice to new ryders - possible sticky?

I think it is good advice for new Ryders not to do any modifications or try settings different from the manual until you at least get 1000 miles. At first I didn't like the tire pressure, handlebar reach, or seat, but fortunately didn't make any changes. Once I hit between 1000-1500 miles I became more comfortable with everything and I am really glad I didn't make any changes - the problem was me not the Spyder.

I remember reading the sticky for new buyers, but can't find it? I don't remember seeing anything about adding accessories or doing any modifications from stock, but I think it could be mentioned.
    Opinions?

Spyder Garage

I've always said the Spyder tells you how to ride it........you don't tell it. It will bite you.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I think it is good advice for new Ryders not to do any modifications or try settings different from the manual until you at least get 1000 miles. At first I didn't like the tire pressure, handlebar reach, or seat, but fortunately didn't make any changes. Once I hit between 1000-1500 miles I became more comfortable with everything and I am really glad I didn't make any changes - the problem was me not the Spyder.

I remember reading the sticky for new buyers, but can't find it? I don't remember seeing anything about adding accessories or doing any modifications from stock, but I think it could be mentioned.
    Opinions?
    Here is the link: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

A few of us have suggested about getting a thousand miles under your belt before doing to many major mods. If one just has to, I have suggested lights...you cannot have to many of them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Despite a million posts here I am still fiddling with tire pressures etc. Take to heart you have to know your bike your way, no one else’s opinion matters and the more time you spend on it the more it will teach you. Damn thing is like owning a horse.

And only slightly less expensive.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I agree 100%!

In general, for performance or ergonomic upgrades. It pays to get to know the machine before making any changes in these areas, unless you just can't live with the machine the way it is. I would even put windshields and floorboards into this 'Wait and See' category. For things like cup holders, lighting, communications or navigation. I think these areas are good to go day 1 if you so choose.

With performance/ergonomic changes made too early on. You really do not have enough experience with the machine to actually perceive what that change is doing for you. The danger is 1- It may not do what you needed done. Or 2- you may not be able to fully appreciate it, even if it is doing the job it should.

I think this is one reason that a few do not think a sway bar upgrade made any difference. Even though it is a physical impossibility that the sway-bar upgrade did not make a very big difference. It is my theory that the owner just did not have enough experience with their Spyder to notice the difference. There has been a consistent correlation between the miles ridden and the appreciation factor for the sway bar upgrade. I think this applies to any upgrade in this area.

Not trying to make excuses and this probably does not account for everyone. Just saying that those who have 1,000~1,500 miles or more on their Spyder are much more likely to perceive exactly what changed with any new modification in the performance/ergonomic area.

If you ride the 1,000 - 1,500 miles or more. You will not only have a much better chance of knowing what you need and getting it right the first time. But you will also be much more likely to appreciate the improvement the upgrade has made to your ride.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-19-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree 100%!

In general, for performance or ergonomic upgrades. It pays to get to know the machine before making any changes in these areas, unless you just can't live with the machine the way it is. I would even put windshields and floorboards into this 'Wait and See' category. For things like cup holders, lighting, communications or navigation. I think these areas are good to go day 1 if you so choose.

With performance/ergonomic changes made too early on. You really do not have enough experience with the machine to actually perceive what that change is doing for you. The danger is 1- It may not do what you needed done. Or 2- you may not be able to fully appreciate it, even if it is doing the job it should.

I think this is one reason that a few do not think a sway bar upgrade made any difference. Even though it is a physical impossibility that the sway-bar upgrade did not make a very big difference. It is my theory that the owner just did not have enough experience with their Spyder to notice the difference. There has been a consistent correlation between the miles ridden and the appreciation factor for the sway bar upgrade. I think this applies to any upgrade in this area.

Not trying to make excuses and this probably does not account for everyone. Just saying that those who have 1,000~1,500 miles or more on their Spyder are much more likely to perceive exactly what changed with any new modification in the performance/ergonomic area.

If you ride the 1,000 - 1,500 miles or more. You will not only have a much better chance of knowing what you need and getting it right the first time. But you will also be much more likely to appreciate the improvement the upgrade has made to your ride.
    Great point! If I had your sway bar installed I would probably say it didn't work because I was still the problem.
    I hope someone can add this to the sticky, I would have liked to have had this advice when I started, even though some of you might have mentioned it on other posts.

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

I have also always mentioned that one should do mods to the safety, handling and performance ONE at a time with some ryding time between changes to see the effect as well as to see if it is enough or should you go on. It can get expensive....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree for the most part. You need a little time to get used to the feel of a Spyder on the street at various speeds. I do realize the op said follow the manual, but sometimes used machines don't include a manual and the shop that sold the machine doesn't have Spyder experience. In this case it may be helpful for the new owner to adjust the tire pressure for a more controllable ride.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

And you do not have clean up behind it .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

One thing you should do as soon as possible is get the foot peg, shifter & brake, into the most comfortable position possible. The right peg was so far back when I picked up the new Spyder it was difficult to get my foot on the brake. Dealer did not even have the correct adjustment rods in stock, which seems ridiculous. Once I got the correct brake rod and moved the peg, my foot could find the brake more naturally. Peg adjustment is something that should be done immediately.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree 100%!

100% My first 200 miles I was thinking what the heck did I do, after about 1000 or so my butt started to loosen up and started to relax and enjoy the bike! I didn't like the amount of body roll I was getting and Ron came to the rescue!! One must get a feel for the machine, then make it there own.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

OK I'm new to this site and for the life of me I can not figure out how to start a new post. I have a C0044 code and limp home mode and my dealer can take the bike until the end of August Help

Spyder Garage

Good Morning Billy,

Go to the section of your choice. ( ei: RT, ST, Enabled spyders ect.) In the upper left corner there is a RED sector that says start a new thread.

Easy Peasy-----------------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I think that is very wise advice.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage