Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Dragon or Rattler?

We are riding thru North Carolina on our way to Virginia to see the Grandkids. Only have time for one route,

So question,

Do we ride the Rattler? or Tail of the Dragon"

Opinions?
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

We just got home and we did both. The dragon is more challenging due to the number of bikes, cars, and trucks on it. I ended up behind a pickup with a Harley strapped in the bed. The rattler was less crowded, so for us more pleasant an experience.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    We are riding thru North Carolina on our way to Virginia to see the Grandkids. Only have time for one route,

So question,

Do we ride the Rattler? or Tail of the Dragon"

Opinions?
    I've done the " Dragon " once , and that was by choice … there are far to many folks who just aren't even decent riders, that cause big traffic jams …. and it gets lots of attention from the police ….. I've ridden the " Rattler " at least a dozen times, and think it's the better choice …. enjoy …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Hwy 80 out of Marion up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Easy at the bottom, reasonably difficult at the top. The road less traveled.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I did both, but the devil's triangle was more fun and challenging. Not much traffic either. It goes in a circle. Best to take it clockwise. More down hill that way. Easier on a clutch. It's just Northwest of Knoxville TN. Very curvy and steep.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Aces and Eights is another fun road!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Really any of the roads in the area are great. I prefer The Moonshiner (28) which connects to 129.
    I feel The Dragon (129) is an over-rated tourist trap and try to avoid it if possible.

Spyder Garage

Tail Of Dragon is promoted more, RIDE IT, you need a T shirt. store on NC side. a lot of turns, but elevation changes are not as much, but sometimes crowded, but worth experience. I saw a wild crotch rocket do a wheelie up hill from the store on NC side!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I have ridden the Dragon in both directions, but have not heard of "the Rattler"' Where is this? What Hwy #

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have ridden the Dragon in both directions, but have not heard of "the Rattler"' Where is this? What Hwy #
    NC 209 is also known as "The Rattler", and ends up in Hot Springs NC from Lake Junaluska NC. It's about 38 miles, takes about an hour or so depending on your speed preference from the start of the Rattler sign north to Hot Springs. It is a very nice ride, well worth the trip. We first rode it when the area roads were mostly known as numbers. Since then NC 129, that was mostly known as Deal's Gap, became "The Tail of the Dragon", NC 28 has become either "HellBender28" or "Moonshiner28" depending what part you ride, NC209 became "The Rattler",etc. I guess more t-shirts can be sold if they have a mean looking graphic and proclaim something like "I Slew the Dragon" rather than "I Rode NC 128"

Rattler Website: http://www.209therattler.com/map.html

When in Hot Springs be sure to stop and have a bite to eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner. We give it 6 stars out of 5. Almost all the food is locally sourced, and very fresh. Great prices, too.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Take the rattler but when you are in Hot Springs make sure to visit the Spa ,it uses natural hot spring water to fill the private hot tubs,around 40/hr,well worth it.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Default Rattler

Just did the rattler last month. Now have done both dragon and Rattler, and our opinion the Rattler is better. You have to eat at the restaurant and then do the rattler. They have gas pumps with different names for octane to reflect the rattler. Sign at the restaurant states 489 turns but does not state the length. Later found it was about 38 mils long. Great ryde. Go for it.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Just did the rattler last month. Now have done both dragon and Rattler, and our opinion the Rattler is better. You have to eat at the restaurant and then do the rattler. They have gas pumps with different names for octane to reflect the rattler. Sign at the restaurant states 489 turns but does not state the length. Later found it was about 38 mils long. Great ryde. Go for it.
    I wouldn't recommend eating first. I was nauseated by the end of it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I like them both, Plus the moonshiner 28 is also a favorite. A lot less traffic and you can visit Fontana Dam. It's kinda cool. That's where they made part of the movie The Fugitive at where he jumps off the dam. THE Snake or the Skyway is A good ride also. They are all great rides. Happy Trails. Ride Safe, Ride Often.

Spyder Garage

A few comments from a Canadian ryder who loves to stop in this area every fall, on my way south to FL for the winter. I try to get in several days of twisties and hills in this amazingly beautiful part of America. You can't go wrong choosing just about any road; a number of good ones have been mentioned above. Also of interest is "The Snake", TN Hwy 421, between Holston Valley and Mountain City - 489 curves, 3 mountains, 1 valley. Aside from the valley portion, you'd be hard-pressed to find a few hundred feet of straight road anywhere along the rest of it - simply one turn after another, and some tight switchbacks. Good pavement, too. I hauled the Spyder through here last year behind my truck; didn't have enough time to unload and ryde, so am going back to do it properly this fall. For info and a video, see: http://www.johnsoncountytnchamber.or...cle-road-trip/
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

We rode the area last year and I'd rather ride the Devil's Triangle both ways than the TotD, though you can't get your photo professionally taken on the DT.
    Shameless plug
    David TotD June 28_2018 Original.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of area info here. https://tailofthedragontours.com/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden most of them, and there is really not one that I wouldn't recommend. But my worst nightmare was the Devil's Triangle. I rode that about 7 years ago. Lots of coal from the dump trucks was on the road. But I still plan on doing it again. I was just there this past April and June. I will be back again in September and October.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Here's a twisty ride in NC-TN that I have been contemplating doing in late Oct. this year. Planning on an overnight in Little Switzerland with an early morning start next day. Heading south on the "Diamondback", Hwy 226A down close to Marion, then west to 80 and north (recommended above by Grandpot), but continuing well north of Blue Ridge Pkwy on 80 and other roads through Micaville, way up to Biltmore and over to Holston Valley, TN, then down the "Snake" to Mountain City, and zig-zagging south through the hills back to Little Switzerland. A full day of riding - 6 hours of travel before breaks; 218 miles. Lots of twisties. My thanks to Blacklightning, who advised me on some of these roads last year. I'm also contemplating a couple more days in the area, which could include "Devil's Triangle" and Cherohala Skyway, or simply any other back roads that look appealing. It's all great fun!! Your comments/advice welcome.
    scanNC-TN ride0001.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who told you that you had to choose between them?
    Ride both; nd then tell us which one you liked better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My last post notwithstanding, as that was a reply about the Rattler, and this thread has changed to a general what to ride in the NC/TN area: we have a plan when we visit the Smoky Mountain area. We have been there pretty often and ridden the named roads, Cherohala Skhyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Rattler, Hellbender28/Moonshiner28 etc. Our plan now is to not have a plan. We have a GPS that we set the campsite or hotel as "Home" and go. Wondering where that road goes? Take it. Turn if it looks interesting. Basically go get lost and enjoy the roads that aren't overburdened by tourist traffic. A couple hours of that we hit the "Home" button on the GPS and it gets us back to our starting point. Last time we did that "plan" we saw some great sceanery, talked to some nice folks and had a very tasty meal at a mom and pop restaurant. After 5 hours of riding and a tank an a half of gas on our (at the time) GL1800 Goldwing trike I hit the "home" icon, and found we were 2 1/2 miles from our hotel. Just because you don't know where you're going doesn't mean you're lost.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Don't much care for either one of them. They are too popular now and almost always heavy traffic. I would much rather be riding some unknown or little used two lane through the mountains that is full of slopes and twisties.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Hwy 80 out of Marion, West on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mount Mitchell one of my favorite rides.

Spyder Garage

This a little off the thread, I haven't ridden either the Dragon nor the Rattler, but plan on heading that way next month. Wife wants to do the Dragon, so may end up doing that one. We just got back from Deadwood, SD, and we rode Iron Mountain Road, so the Dragon better be great to beat IMR! No traffic, beautiful country side and a wonderful ride........OK, now back to The Dragon, traffic is what will disappoint me!
    IronMntRoad.jpg

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)