Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does Anyone Tow Their Spyder with a Subaru Outback?

As mentioned in another thread, I'm considering "snowbirding" with my Spyder for part of the winter starting in a few years. Wherever I end up, I will need to tow my Spyder (2016 F3-T) to the destination and back. My current car is a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 w/CVT. Only has about 79K miles on it and hasn't given me any trouble (knock wood).

Would the Outback work for towing my Spyder twice a year? (To destination, then back home?) If so, what specific trailer would you recommend?

If anyone has actual experience with towing their Spyder with an Outback, I'd love to hear your experiences (good or bad).

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I personally haven't towed mine, but as I own an Outback I was curious. I looked up the specs.

F3-T dry weight is 950 lbs
    Towing capacity of a 2.5 Outback is 2700 lbs

I guess, you could? depending on the trailer and all that you would put on it?

Good luck!
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Be cautious and make sure to check your Outback's trailer rating. I just returned from trailering my RT, on the back of my Hyundai Santa Fe, back and forth to Yellowstone N.P. The manual claims a towing rating of 3000 pounds. I used an Aluma aluminum trailer, weight around 1000 pounds, add the Spyder, also around 1000 pounds, and I was only at about 2/3 of the rated capacity and I could barely maintain highway speeds on the hills.
    2022 Spyder RT Limited , Deep Marsala / Chrome

Spyder Garage

We have a 2014 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 motor! Tow my 2016 F3 Limited on my 600lb trailer just fine. I just take my time and don’t think I’m pulling with a truck. Common Sense goes a long way!

Spyder Garage

I have towed a motorcycle with an outback. I think it was a 2010 2.5. A few points

1. I believe my total tow weight was 1000 (500 plus 500). Towing a Spyder you could be at 1500 + depending on the weight of the towing.

2. The max tow weight is 2700 but it is 1000 w/o trailer brakes. Now, if you are doing mostly highway, the brakes may be an issue for crash avoidance but otherwise not a big deal. If you are doing small roads and cities with several stops, it may be an issue.

3. I believe Subaru says max speed of 55 mph when towing. I was doing 60/65 no problem and I think you could easily do 70 subject to the limits of the trailer and the caveat for crash avoidance

4. If you want to keep your outback for several more years, I would suggest installing a brake controller and brakes on your trailer

5. There is some issue with OEM hitch vs. aftermarket. I think it is about how attached to the car. You should investigate that. Also, I belive the hitch bar size is 1.5 instead of 2 inches

6. The 2020 outback will have a max tow weight of 3500 and maybe it could come pre-wired for brake controller. I know my Ascent did.

7. By the way, I am towing my Spyder for a total weight of 1500 using my Ascent, w/o trailer brakes. I can easily do 65/70 mph and I won't feel it.

8. I'm guessing that you would need to go with an open as opposed to closed trailer, for the weight and wind resistance

Good luck

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Good to know. I have a 2017 Outback with the 2.5. I never checked if I could tow or not. We were pretty loaded driving from AK to AR with some goods in the rear section of the car. We ended up having a tire blow out on the trip. The tires had about 6,000 miles on them when we began the trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I personally haven't towed mine, but as I own an Outback I was curious. I looked up the specs.

F3-T dry weight is 950 lbs
    Towing capacity of a 2.5 Outback is 2700 lbs

I guess, you could? depending on the trailer and all that you would put on it?

Good luck!
    Those numbers match the research that I've done. But from what I've read, 2700 requires a trailer with brakes. Right now, I know NOTHING about trailers and towing. (I've never towed anything....) So, I'm not sure what "trailer with brakes" really means.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kovas View Post
    Be cautious and make sure to check your Outback's trailer rating. I just returned from trailering my RT, on the back of my Hyundai Santa Fe, back and forth to Yellowstone N.P. The manual claims a towing rating of 3000 pounds. I used an Aluma aluminum trailer, weight around 1000 pounds, add the Spyder, also around 1000 pounds, and I was only at about 2/3 of the rated capacity and I could barely maintain highway speeds on the hills.
    I've been to Yellowstone and am not surprised with your experience on those hills. (Yellowstone's elevation is generally about 7500-8000 feet).

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I have towed a motorcycle with an outback. I think it was a 2010 2.5. A few points

1. I believe my total tow weight was 1000 (500 plus 500). Towing a Spyder you could be at 1500 + depending on the weight of the towing.

2. The max tow weight is 2700 but it is 1000 w/o trailer brakes. Now, if you are doing mostly highway, the brakes may be an issue for crash avoidance but otherwise not a big deal. If you are doing small roads and cities with several stops, it may be an issue.

3. I believe Subaru says max speed of 55 mph when towing. I was doing 60/65 no problem and I think you could easily do 70 subject to the limits of the trailer and the caveat for crash avoidance

4. If you want to keep your outback for several more years, I would suggest installing a brake controller and brakes on your trailer

5. There is some issue with OEM hitch vs. aftermarket. I think it is about how attached to the car. You should investigate that. Also, I belive the hitch bar size is 1.5 instead of 2 inches

6. The 2020 outback will have a max tow weight of 3500 and maybe it could come pre-wired for brake controller. I know my Ascent did.

7. By the way, I am towing my Spyder for a total weight of 1500 using my Ascent, w/o trailer brakes. I can easily do 65/70 mph and I won't feel it.

8. I'm guessing that you would need to go with an open as opposed to closed trailer, for the weight and wind resistance

Good luck

J
    Thanks for all that info! I don't have a trailer yet - would you have one to recommend? (Obviously, the lighter weight, the better....) Regarding OEM hitch vs aftermarket -- which is better?

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Those numbers match the research that I've done. But from what I've read, 2700 requires a trailer with brakes. Right now, I know NOTHING about trailers and towing. (I've never towed anything....) So, I'm not sure what "trailer with brakes" really means.

I've been to Yellowstone and am not surprised with your experience on those hills. (Yellowstone's elevation is generally about 7500-8000 feet).

Thanks for all that info! I don't have a trailer yet - would you have one to recommend? (Obviously, the lighter weight, the better....) Regarding OEM hitch vs aftermarket -- which is better?

Thanks!
    Get an Aluma 6810 or equivalent. Well within specs of a Subura loaded. No brakes on trailer, but not necessary.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have no experience, but here is what I found on the web. Assuming your Spyder is 1000 lbs, then you have 1700 lbs for a trailer. This may limit you to an aluminum trailer.

Subaru Towing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Would the Outback work for towing my Spyder twice a year?
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I use an Aluma 6X10, bifold ramp has natural arch so Spyder won't scrape.
    Nice and light. Pull with about anything.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 2.5 OutBack with factory hitch which is very expensive paid 600.00 installed. I would look into a aftermarket hitch, which is a lot less. I have towed from ND to AZ a few times. Outback works but will not maintain Highway speed on hills and in Mountains it works hard and I have to slow down, a few times the rpms hit the rev limiter and slowed it self down. I just got back from towing to Deadwood, SD in the hills it works, but again slowed down a few times. Would I buy another Outback and tow with it yes as I only tow a few times a year. Its not a perfect tow vehicle but it works. Your rpms will increase about200 to 400 rpms on level ground. Get the lightest open trailer you can find. Do not get a trailer that has a ramp that stores vertical on the back it will drop your mileage and increase rpms. I use a Drop Tail Trailer. But Alum trailer is a great trailer.
    Towing a few times a year you will be happy, in the mountains not so much.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Depending on the type of ramp your trailer will have depends on the wind resistance. A full length ramp will catch a lot of wind and slow you down. Ramps that fold in half catch less wind. ATV ramps work well but you will need to tie them down separably to the trailer bed.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kywinger View Post
    Depending on the type of ramp your trailer will have depends on the wind resistance. A full length ramp will catch a lot of wind and slow you down. Ramps that fold in half catch less wind. ATV ramps work well but you will need to tie them down separably to the trailer bed.
    The difference between towing with my ramp up vs flat on the trailer (Aluma 6810) is about 5 mph with my 4 cylinder diesel
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of great, informative responses. Keep 'em coming. I really appreciate it!
    Bert