Thread: Seat lift strut

Spyder Garage

Default Seat lift strut

Does anyone have a problem with the seat staying up when filling with gasoline after adding a driver backrest. A Suspa c16-20651 has a compression of 40 lbs where the original was 31 lbs. It works well and can order on Amazon. They come in pairs so you can share one with a friend. It also lifts 2 inches higher.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, GREAT info. I had no issue until I put a Utopia backrest on, and a Motorcycle Dave Gel Pad in the seat. Mine will still stay up, but if a fly lands on it pushes it over (very slight exaggeration).......The Suspa would solve any doubt for the long term. Great find.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Great info. Thanks
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know

Thanks for the information. Many have changed their seat to aftermarket seats and have that same problem. It is good to have information to help out with the issue of the seat not staying up other than carry a stick.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 14 RT LTD (used) it dn have the strut so I used a piece of pvc and it worked but it was a pain in the arse. I ended up getting a strut and the only problem it the seat does not lift as high as I would like to get to things.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    Does anyone have a problem with the seat staying up when filling with gasoline after adding a driver backrest. A Suspa c16-20651 has a compression of 40 lbs where the original was 31 lbs. It works well and can order on Amazon. They come in pairs so you can share one with a friend.
    Check with other sellers, they are also sold " singly " ….. or you can do what I did, I made a solid metal rod ( bent like the center frame ) that easily bolts to the frame under the seat ( there is are factory holes near the brake fluid resv. for a 5" x 1/4" bolt )…. and mine is slightly longer and holds the seat up twice as far as the gas strut did ( which I removed ) ….. I will add pics of this to my albums tonight ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Good to know, I may need one. We had a Diamond seat made, and they make thier own seat pan that is hevier than stock. Diamond included a short piece of aluminum c-channel with a thumb screw as a strut lock- slide the c-channel up and tighten the screw to hold the seat up. It's a solution, but a bit of a bother. Like the replacement sturt idea. Picture of the strut lock below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

confirming what Mike posted the struts are available singly. That is how I bought mine and I think I ordered directly but don't remember for sure.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Check with other sellers, they are also sold " singly " ….. or you can do what I did, I made a solid metal rod ( bent like the center frame ) that easily bolts to the frame under the seat ( there is are factory holes near the brake fluid resv. for a 5" x 1/4" bolt )…. and mine is slightly longer and holds the seat up twice as far as the gas strut did ( which I removed ) ….. I will add pics of this to my albums tonight ….. Mike
    my Corbin came with a kickstand folded up to bottom of seat pan.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)