Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Cap replacement with push through cap

Has anyone installed a push-through filler cap on their RT? I am thinking about adding a fuel door like Inspector Gadget's website DYI and I want to install a push-through gas cap to avoid removing the gas cap each time I refill. I am looking at the Hagan replacement fuel cap but I need to know the right size. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan...Cap,50078.html

Thanks

Dave

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back when I did some vendoring I sold & installed a few gas doors with the Cap you are looking for..... I used them mostly on the GS - RS type seats ..... Those seats have considerably less area to put a door on. …. I used gas doors ( that I modified ) from sport bikes ie. " crotch rocket style ". … The Brand of the Cap was " Perma cap II " ….. they are/ were C.A.R.B. certified and I bought them from various sellers on E-Bay …… they worked exactly as designed and didn't leak or allow splash out … as far as size goes I found out that the threads in Spyder gas tanks are standardized to that of cars ( which are also standardized ), don't get one that would fit a FUEL tank for Diesel - it will be smaller and won't work … hope this helps ….. Mike ......……...PS, I just looked on E-bay and they have one for sale for $ 17.00 total delivered .

Spyder Garage

Good ideas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I tried it once and the 1st time I fueled up the gas nozzle got stuck in the top of the tank and it took me a while to get it out and get to ridin some more, needless to say I took the cap off. Any suggestions would help. I would love to get the door put on my seat on my 14 RT LTD so she don't have to get off every time I fuel up. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Hey Ryder3 PM me I have a Perma-cap for your RT that I used for about a month and decided not to use it. Worked great but with a gas door a little awkward. If you wat it, its yours.

Rich
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

I am happy to get off to get gas as is the pillion. Buns of steel not on this cowboy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Back when I did some vendoring I sold & installed a few gas doors with the Cap you are looking for..... I used them mostly on the GS - RS type seats ..... Those seats have considerably less area to put a door on. …. I used gas doors ( that I modified ) from sport bikes ie. " crotch rocket style ". … The Brand of the Cap was " Perma cap II " ….. they are/ were C.A.R.B. certified and I bought them from various sellers on E-Bay …… they worked exactly as designed and didn't leak or allow splash out … as far as size goes I found out that the threads in Spyder gas tanks are standardized to that of cars ( which are also standardized ), don't get one that would fit a FUEL tank for Diesel - it will be smaller and won't work … hope this helps ….. Mike ......……...PS, I just looked on E-bay and they have one for sale for $ 17.00 total delivered .
    What doors were you using? Auto doors seem to big for the available real estate. Tried to find the mentioned cap and got no results. Please supply some more info. Thanks.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    What doors were you using? Auto doors seem to big for the available real estate. Tried to find the mentioned cap and got no results. Please supply some more info. Thanks.
    First time I tried PermaCap II …. it didn't work ….. then I did just PermaCap ….. it showed them ….. others were more expensive …. the seller had 4 for sale .…. …. On the Gas Doors that will fit on that seat …. just about any gas door for the larger crotch rockets will work , it will need a bit of trimming to work, but they do work …. I remember Yamaha FJR as one of them ….Mike